I think I am givin up the five string

perrydabassman

• Members

I have been conducting a little experiment on myself for the last month or so. I bought a Shecter 5'er and started practicing and did a couple of gigs with it. Last night, I just brought my Jazz to the gig, and it was like welcoming back an old friend. I think my five string days are over. Did I give it enough time, or should I just follow my instincts and stay with the four? :confused:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

trust your instincts . I played a 5 string as my main bass for years but always had my 4 as a back up. Just in case I broke i string etc

And one night we did a gig we poorly organized out of town, there was hardly anyone there, so I decided to play me old 4 banger ... and it was like you said "welcoming back an old friend"

Was easy to transpose the lower notes back down and 8 years later i have never...ever looked back..

Unless your thrustin I don't think anyone in the crowd will notice either ;)

• Members

It took me several months to adjust to playing a five string. I bought the bass several years ago, and at the time, had been playing bass for about 15 years...all 4s. I bought the 5 and just could NOT adjust to the width of the neck or the change in anchor point...the B string just kept screwing me up. I'd play the wrong notes all the time. I ended up putting it away and not playing it and even listed it for sale on CL 3 different times.

I play on the worship team at church and the church has a 5-string bass for use by anyone who wants to use it. Now...I have to work on Sunday's, so taking my bass with me to work really isn't much of an option because I don't want to leave it in my car and I don't want to take it in, so I resigned myself to playing the church's bass during the winter and summer months because leaving mine in the car in those conditions is unacceptable.

What I'm trying to say here is that it personally took me several months of playing a 5-string to adjust to it. I can now switch back and forth from 4 to 5 and not have any problems at all. I do still prefer a 4, but can now fully appreciate the flexibility of the 5 and will no longer be listing my 5-string on CL. :)

• Members

Toss the 5 if that's what you want to do. I've been facing the same issue, and held onto my 5er for a long time thinking that I'd need it for something eventually. I've come to the realization that I wouldn't want to play most material that would require a 5. It will soon go on the block.

• Members

It takes longer than a month to adjust your muscle memory to a 5 or a 6, as I've found. I've been playing a 6 since a little before Christmas, and 5s for a couple months before that, and I'm only now getting to the point where I'd say I'm "comfortable." I'd played nothing but 4-strings for close to 4 years before that.

If it doesn't make any difference to your playing, don't force yourself to play the 5. If it adds to your music, though, I'd keep at it.

• Members

it took me a few years and several different 5's to get used to the idea. i'm slowly coming to the point that i actually prefer my 6'er for what i'm doing musically.

don't get me wrong. i still play and love my 4's, but they're no longer my "go-to" unless they'll do something for the music that my others won't.

• Members

To the OP - I play both 4s and 5s on a regular basis - if I don't need to go below Eb, I play a 4 string - and they are more comfortable and easier to play than a 5er to me... However, my main band plays mostly modern rock - which pretty much requires a 5 string to be done properly... A benefit of playing the 5er is that when I switch back to 4s, they really are a breeze to play - and I can really tear one up...

In summary - if I don't need the notes a 5er offers, I play a 4 string - and I don't see anything wrong with you taking a similar approach... BUT, if you think you might play some music that requires a 5 string, you *might* want to keep one around and keep working at it... It took me awhile before I was comfortable on a 5er, and I won't lie - I muffed a note here and there for a gig or two 'til I settled into it - but now I'm glad I made the effort, as my modern rock band sounds better with me playing a 5er than it did with drop tuned 4s...

- georgestrings

• Members

Play one or don't. It's all about your personal preference. :)

After having more fivers than fours for several years, I went back to a four as my main bass some time back. I sold all but one of my fivers, but I still enjoy playing the fiver that I have quite a bit. I see no need for having a six string whatsoever for my tastes, but that's just me.

• Members

Play one or don't. It's all about your personal preference.
:)

I see no need for having a six string whatsoever for my tastes, but that's just me.

That's me, too - hell, I barely use the G string on my 5ers when I play them, let alone have any need for a high C... But hey, whatever works for a person is just fine with me...

- georgestrings

• Members

I've been playing a five string for more than twenty years.Recently I started thinking of using a four string again.I picked up a fender P (which was the first "real" bass I ever owned),and the spacing was just too much!I like both.I only really use the five on certain rock songs that were written that way.Otherwise it's more of an enhancement thing.(endings,and such).

• Members

That's me, too - hell, I barely use the G string on my 5ers when I play them, let alone have any need for a high C... But hey, whatever works for a person is just fine with me...

- georgestrings

So what your saying is you just want a 4 string tuned BEAD:lol:;)

Archived