Fargo is one bizzare movie

vanlatte

• Members

Yea, but it's got nothin' on Mulholland Drive.

Apples n' cruise missiles, mate. . ..aaaaaaaaples n' cruise missiles. Fargo is a straight-forward narrative morality tale. Mulholland Drive is a cranial copulation from David Lynch's dark subconscious.

• Members

The accent was way overdone. People from that (this) part of the country don't talk like that... well, not like the movie at least.

I thought it was a great movie, and definitely better than that POS No Country for Old Men that the Cohen Brothers did. I can't believe that won an Academy Award. It would've been much better if the movie actually had an ending.

• Members

I thought it was a great movie, and definitely better than that POS
No Country for Old Men
that the Cohen Brothers did. I can't believe that won an Academy Award. It would've been much better if the movie actually had an ending.

I can understand this, but personally I loved No Country. At first it felt like a cheat, but watching it again I realized it is put together so amazingly well that the thrill is in the journey, not the destination.

• Members

American cinema really isn't that bad, even the most "{censored}ed up" movies are pretty mild compared to foreign cinema. I mean, look at the majority of Chinese movies (not talking about Hong Kong action). Most are more depressing than a greek tragedy. The filmmakers have to be careful about criticizing the government while creating art, so they have these thickly veiled, artsy, beautiful pieces where everyone dies. Woop de doo.

Then, there's the German New Wave (Post WWII). lots of darkness there too, especially considering the split of Berlin. One of my favorite directors, Werner Herzog, is a direct product of that system. Also extremely depressing.

I guess in terms of American Cinema, there's always Requiem for a Dream. That's a bit of a downer. Stupid darren aranofsky (SP?)...

I thought it was a great movie, and definitely better than that POS
No Country for Old Men
that the Cohen Brothers did. I can't believe that won an Academy Award. It would've been much better if the movie actually had an ending.

It was a really faithful adaptation of the novel, from what I understand. I liked it, FWIW.

• Members

I love Fargo. And in fact I added it to my Netflix que last night!

Netflix is the greatest invention. I just found out you can stream it free through Xbox Live for free, so I have instant access to most popular movies and I can get small, weird, independant and foreign stuff in the mail. Huzzah!

Seriously, everyone should have it.

• Members

Netflix is the greatest invention. I just found out you can stream it free through Xbox Live for free, so I have instant access to most popular movies and I can get small, weird, independant and foreign stuff in the mail. Huzzah!

Seriously, everyone should have it.

I agree! I decided to get it after I went to Blockbuster and paid 15 bucks for three flicks. With Netflix I get 3 at a time for 16 bucks! And I've had well over 20 movies. I love rating the movies and receiving suggestions. I've seen some great movies that way.

I wish they had a live stream for the Wii :(

• Members

I think it's a great movie. Definitely distinct from the other Hollywood stuff you see.

From what I recall about the "based on a true story" aspect of it, it's mostly not true at all. The reason they said that was to manipulate the audience. I read somewhere that the actual inspiration for the movie was a story where somebody killed someone and disposed of their body with a wood chipper or something.

American cinema really isn't that bad, even the most "{censored}ed up" movies are pretty mild compared to foreign cinema. I mean, look at the majority of Chinese movies (not talking about Hong Kong action). Most are more depressing than a greek tragedy. The filmmakers have to be careful about criticizing the government while creating art, so they have these thickly veiled, artsy, beautiful pieces where everyone dies. Woop de doo.

Then, there's the German New Wave (Post WWII). lots of darkness there too, especially considering the split of Berlin. One of my favorite directors, Werner Herzog, is a direct product of that system. Also extremely depressing.

I guess in terms of American Cinema, there's always Requiem for a Dream. That's a bit of a downer. Stupid darren aranofsky (SP?)...

There's also some great work coming from the Mexican new cinema as well. The Mexican cinema is government funded, but some highly critical movies get through.

• Members

Fargo.

I've never been able to look at a wood chipper the same way since.

:freak:

I laughed out loud when the wood chipper scene came on. My wife thought I was nuts for laughing, but there were a few of us guys snickering throughout the theater.

Archived