All I wanna do is play bass..

Mr.Mow

• Members

Its as simple as that.. It KILLS me I didn't pick up music younger (I'm 34 now).. I'm up at 6am every morning to practice, music is all I want to do, thats it.. How do some of you guys deal with this.. you know when you're stuck with a real job, mortgage all the associated crap..

Its killing me.. I'm not a person who can just devote part of his life to this and part to this.. its just 100% for one thing.. I don't have 'hobbies', they are all obsessions..

I don't know how to make it happen or fit in, I'm a motivated and driven person, when I was 17 I decided I wanted to do photography, knew nothing and within 18 months was accepted into the most difficult to get into photography school in the country, left that, knew nothing about computer graphics, taught myself and got a job at the biggest games company in Australia and within a few years was a lead artist.. Drive isn't a problem..

But back then it was all living at home with mum and dad, money was no issue.. {censored}in hell.. its just KILLING ME.. I just feel like bloody exploding..

• Members

You know, I've only been playing for a year, and I used to have the same feeling. It got to the point where I played 4-5 hours a day. It kind of wore off, though. I still wanna play bass, but I don't have that crazy drive to play, play, play anymore. I wish I was in your boat...

• Members

First, I think it's important to realize that, if you're older than 26 or so and you haven't already been successful with it, your odds of making it are pretty darn slim. Treat it like a hobby, as you would with golf or video games, and you'll be much better off.

• Members

First, I think it's important to realize that, if you're older than 26 or so and you haven't already been successful with it, your odds of making it are pretty darn slim. Treat it like a hobby, as you would with golf or video games, and you'll be much better off.

+1

I'm 36 years old now and have no desire to really "make it". Yeah, it would be cool, but music is a hobby. Once it becomes work...then it stops being fun.

• Members

I'm goin' through it right now too bro. I gotta balance work, my kid, my wifey (I'm 28) and playing bass. One has to be very diplomatic and even then, someone is gonna tell you you're short changing them. When you juggle so many things, a facet of each one will suffer. I still will not accept fading into weekend sober jam sessions with the twice a year gigs surrounded by guys in thier 60's playing Line 6 guitar amps. Instead, I try to strike a balance. Monday nights with old farts playing good with good gear, the rest of the week...I'm in hell!(work) Don't sweat it. Getting in with a good band or just some decent dudes to jam with will make you feel a bit better about this.

• Members

Dude, I understand completely.

I'm 49 and gigging again after almost 30 years without a band.

In my case, my ex convinced me that I needed to act like a corporate executive type and focus on my career.

The reality is that she was afraid of all the hot wimmens hitting on me.

Now she is long gone.

• Members

I mean.. how do you and your (is he your?) husband do it, haven't you guys got kids as well? And you recorded a kick arse album.. Damn, total respect..

Oh thanks. (blush) Yes, Mike and I are married. We rehearse while the kids sleep, (baby monitors and house alarms are the best inventions ever)I took a job at home so I could stay with them during the day and go play at night. Mike works in a Guitarshop so they're pretty lenient with time off for gigs, plus no one complains when he sits and tries a few guitars out during the day (little practice sessions)

Most holidays are scheduled around gigs. Most folks take a family vacation. We go on 'tour'. :D The luxury of dayjobs and mortgages is that you generally have enough cash to fund a CD project like we have as well.

It's all a balance.

PS. I'll be 36 in April. ;)

• Members

Oh thanks. (blush) Yes, Mike and I are married. We rehearse while the kids sleep, (baby monitors and house alarms are the best inventions ever)I took a job at home so I could stay with them during the day and go play at night. Mike works in a Guitarshop so they're pretty lenient with time off for gigs, plus no one complains when he sits and tries a few guitars out during the day (little practice sessions)

Most holidays are scheduled around gigs. Most folks take a family vacation. We go on 'tour'.
:D
The luxury of dayjobs and mortgages is that you generally have enough cash to fund a CD project like we have as well.

It's all a balance.

PS. I'll be 36 in April.
;)

[/thread hijack/] Sugarskull i bought your album on iTunes (i know it's not really an 'album'...but what else do you call it?) my only complaint is that it's too short!! seriously though, i like it a lot. great sound. [/end thread hijack/] :thu:

• Members

I'm at that point where i have to decide if i want to "go for it"

I'm 18, almost 19, I've just started working on my 2 year degree, i hope to get it done and then move to orlando so i can go to Full Sail for recording arts.

Its a 12 month program, the plan is to use that 12 months to try and find/form a band that i feel good enough about to take a chance and try and "make it" with.

Or at the end of the 12 months, get a job in a recording studio and learn more while making some money (and continue to try and find that magical band)

at the end of it all at least i have a 2 year degree and i can get a real job, i figure at least i can say i tried and not regret never going for it when I'm 40.

• Members

The fact that I'll (probably, gotta keep the hope alive;))never be able to play music for a living doesn't really bother me that much. My best friend from high school played bass too, and he decided to make music his life, and I joined the army. I'm 24 now, and I own my own home and have an awesome son(and a not so awesome ex-wife:mad:) but I still play, practice with a band and get gigs every once in a while.

he manages a restaurant, lives in a {censored}ty studio apartment, plays with a band and gets gigs every once in a while.

i think everyone wishes they could be in a band and tour and make lots of money, but it's just one of those things you accept as not going to happen, and live your life. if you can't do what you love, love what you do. or something like that

• Members

I've been playing for close to 25 years now. For me, music has always been a passion and I've never gone more than a few days without picking up a bass. A number of my closest friends back home (Istanbul, Turkey) have stuck with music and turned it into their careers. Most of them have "made it" in the sense that they play in the biggest bands in the country, tour constantly, record albums for the major labels, produce their own work, etc.

One thing they all agree on is that music is a pretty crappy way to make a living.

I play about as well as any of them; I occasionally do some studio work for them, etc. But I consider myself a hobbyist ... not a pro. I have a normal job which gives me the time and money to enjoy my hobbies. For me, that's much more rewarding than having my hobby be my career.

I guess my point is, if you love music and want to play, you can do it and it can be a part of your life. But that doesn't mean it has to be your livelihood. In fact, you might find it more enjoyable to play music when your music is not what you rely on to pay the heating bill and buy groceries.

• Members

Yeah.. thats the worst thing.. I know all of this..

I loved photography.. ended up studying it, did it as work for a bit.. it was 10 years until I picked up a camera again..

I loved video games, got a job doing artwork for em.. dream job right? I haven't touched a game in 5 years since leaving..

I loved cooking, am almost finished a commercial cooking course.. damn.. DO NOT WANT..

yeah yeah.. I know..

• Moderators

Yeah.. thats the worst thing.. I know all of this..

I loved photography.. ended up studying it, did it as work for a bit.. it was 10 years until I picked up a camera again..

I loved video games, got a job doing artwork for em.. dream job right? I haven't touched a game in 5 years since leaving..

I loved cooking, am almost finished a commercial cooking course.. damn.. DO NOT WANT..

yeah yeah.. I know..

I was going to point out that your professional career as a bassist would quickly be dropped for another passion in a few years.

• Members

+1

I'm 36 years old now and have no desire to really "make it". Yeah, it would be cool, but music is a hobby. Once it becomes work...then it stops being fun.

I don't hear him saying that he wants to "make it." I hear someone who is just passionate about something and would love to immerse himself in it 24/7. That's completely separate from being able to do it as a living.

• Members

Although I never hit the "big time", I feel I'm doing something much more meaningful with my music.

I play at places that aren't smoky sh*tholes filled with slobbering drunks...places that appreciate my music for what it is. I can put out a CD any time I feel ready, and have it distributed worldwide via the net.

So I consider myself reasonably successful as a performing musical artist.

Archived