Cell Phone Recommendation

Thunderbroom

• Members

I don't normally get antsy and want to change cell phones, but I'm at that point. I'm eligible for upgrade pricing in about a month. My current phone is an HTC Mogul (WinMobile) on the Sprint network. I've had not problems with the phone nor the service.

What I'm looking for ideally is a WinMobile capable device that is more compact. My wife and son just got Samsung Rant's. I really like the form factor of them but don't think they will let me sync with my work's Outlook system.

I don't have to go WinMobile though and am thinking about the Samsung Instinct.

Any suggestions for phones to look at? Anybody know of new Sprint phones on the near horizon?

• Members

I've had the Instinct for about 6 weeks now. I love it. It isn't going to sync with outlook, though. You can set it up to receive your Outlook email, but the calendar won't sync. This has never bothered me, because I have always had my outlook sync with my google calender and and just set my google calender as a bookmark, so I just use that instead of the built in phone calender. One thing that has impressed me the most is that they have been very proactive about updating the phone. The browser has gotten noticeably better in the 6 weeks that I've had the phone thanks to a couple of software updates. I'm hoping they add calender syncing functionality soon.

• Members

I guess having email push with Outlook is not an absolute. I do need to be able to retrieve it. I read online that Sprint released an update (article was dated 12/08) that does sync the Outlook calendar.

Does it fit in your pocket? Any concerns about the screen?

• Members

I guess having email push with Outlook is not an absolute. I do need to be able to retrieve it. I read online that Sprint released an update (article was dated 12/08) that does sync the Outlook calendar.

Does it fit in your pocket? Any concerns about the screen?

Your right, it can now sync with Outlook calendars. I guess I ignored that update since I don't want to sync my Outlook email (I have no reason to have my work email with me).

It comes with a fairly basic fake leather case. I'm really hard on my phones and I was very worried about the screen, so I've been carrying it in that case. It fits in my pocket just fine, even with the case. I haven't had any screen problems, yet, and so far it seems as if it will be able to handle some minor abuse.

It also comes with a spare battery and a battery charger (so the spare can be charging on its own while you are using the phone). I thought that was pretty cool.

• Members

You're convincing me to give it a closer look.

I should visit a Sprint store soon and check it out.

I really love my phone. I know it isn't the best choice for everyone, but its definitely worth getting out to a store and giving a once over.

• Members

The Palm Pre looks like it could be a winner. It's not out yet but should be soon.

From everything I've read about the Pre, I'd say if you can wait a few months, that would be the route I'd take.

I'm up for a new phone on Verizon, so I've been looking at different phones and carriers. If I was on Sprint, I'd wait for a Pre, myself. But I've been off contract with VZW since November, so obviously, I don't mind waiting.

• Members

Well that's silly.

What do you mean by "no support"?

When I got my new-at-the-time phone two years ago, I was told by our IT staff that they didn't support the BB and that it wouldn't work seamlessly on our network. Whether that's true or not, I'm not certain but I know that every one of them has some sort of WinMob device.

• Members

When I got my new-at-the-time phone two years ago, I was told by our IT staff that they didn't support the BB and that it wouldn't work seamlessly on our network. Whether that's true or not, I'm not certain but I know that every one of them has some sort of WinMob device.

I don't know what they mean by that. If they can push email, a BB can get it. :confused:

All of my email services (comcast, gmail, others) end up straight on my phone. Besides, you can actively reconcile your BB email folder. It might be worth asking them for clarification on what they meant with that.

• Members

I don't know what they mean by that. If they can push email, a BB can get it.
:confused:

All of my email services (comcast, gmail, others) end up straight on my phone. Besides, you can actively reconcile your BB email folder. It might be worth asking them for clarification on what they meant with that.

What are the benefits of a BB over a WinMob device, the Samsung Instinct or this new Palm Pre?

Archived