Can you match the 9 Pbasses to their soundclips? Squier Affinity~MIA Std

PrestiaRules

• Members

Thought it would be fun to record 2 clips from each of 9 different P bass models to see if they were distinguishable from one another.

The models recorded: (all list prices in CAD)

Squier Afiinity P $200

Squier Vintage Modified P $325

Squier Classic Vibe Series 60s P $395

Squier Classic Vibe Series 50s P yeah I know single coil...should be easy to pick out then $395

MIM Standard P $600

MIM Classic Series 50s P $750

MIJ Fender "Squier Series" P (original MIJ run) $800

Fender Highway One P (08 model) $1050

MIA Standard P (08 model) $1450

The controls:

Now this is a VERY scientific study, so controls were quite strict. For instance, to be considered for the test the P basses in question had to be in one of the two stores I visited for this test. On top of that they needed to be on the wall at a height of less than 8ft and not behind glass...also they needed to work.

Strings: In an effort to maintain the pristine level of testing ALL strings on ALL basses HAD TO BE the strings that were on the bass when I took it off the wall...same goes for the set up :)

Brand: Decided to stay in the Fender family of brands for ease of testing

Method: basses were plugged directly into my old PXR4 recorder using a Planet Waves Custom Pro cable. No external pre-amp or internal pre-amp setting used. Basses were set with volume at 100% and tone at 50%. One take only for each bass and each clip (so here they are warts and all). I also did not plug the basses into an amp before hand so I wouldn't adjust playing style/attack to compensate. Basses were played in the same position, same right hand approach (except for MIJ Squier Series due to its PU cover)

SO the clips are titled Clip 1 through Clip 18. Clip 1 and 2 are the same bass, different line. Every bass follows this pattern. The first of each pair of clips is one line, the 2nd is the other. So Clip 5 is the 3rd bass playing line 1, Clip 6 is the same bass playing line 2.....

I will attach them in groups....tried linking to sharing site but I am messing it up.

Hope this is as fun to try as it was to put together.

This is a link to the clips on a sharing site (i think( http://www.4shared.com/dir/13824116/957fb28b/sharing.html

Cheers

Adam

• Members

There is but one electric bass that is identifiable upon hearing: RICKENBACKER

(And that depends, it's easy to make 4003s sound less identifiable)

But if someone really thinks they need to spend a fortune on a piece of wood with strings, who am I to stop them? lol

This thread will prove, yet again, that there is little proportion between
money-spent
and
tone achieved

All my instruments combined cost me roughly $1400... still less than
one
new MIA Jazz.

• Members

There is but one electric bass that is identifiable upon hearing: RICKENBACKER

(And that depends, it's easy to make 4003s sound less identifiable)

But if someone really thinks they need to spend a fortune on a piece of wood with strings, who am I to stop them? lol

I know I don't shut up about them but the Aria SB's have a very distinguisible tone that is easy to recognise in recordings. :)

I'll have a listen to the P bass recordings in a while. :cool:

• Members

Sound? No.

Now blindfold a good bassist and place each one in their hand.

How the fit & finish is to them and how their hands lay on the strings and the neck. The true magic is matching the bass to the player.

I could hand a $3000 bass connected to an equally expensive head/cab to my 2 year old nephew and it would sound like {censored}.

The marriage of artist and brush creates the painting.

• Members

For my dollar, the deltas that generally accompany higher priced basses have very little to do with the quality of the tone heard by the listener and everything to do with the experience of playing the instrument.

I've long held the belief that a bass has to be exceptionally crappy to not be able to produce a fundamentally acceptable sound.

Form, fit and finish, the subtleties that make a bass a joy to play, rather than just being playable.

Does on have to spend a lot of money to have such a bass? No. But in my experience, basses of this calibre tend to come with pricier tags.

Similarly, high cost is no measure of high quality. There are very expensive crappy basses out there.

Not everyone can notice these differences. That's okay. Everyone doesn't have to. I can and it matters to me.

On the other hand, I like cheap, sweet wine, so there.

• Members

cool repies thus far...I should say this was not at all intended to be an indictment of basses at any price point, nor was I trying to make any point at all. Just thought it would be fun to run the whole gamut playing the basses exactly the same without regard to each bass's set up or personality.

The Fit and finish as justification of high price is bang on...each of these basses felt different, played differently and reacted differently. As they were (off the wall) the best feeling bass was a 3TS Highway One followed by the MIA Std and the MIJ, the Classic Vibe 60 and SVM P were next, real comfortable and great feel. The MIM std was the worst, but it was clearly a situation of needing a set up and new strings...

• Members

secksy, thats my main player
:thu:

obligatory pic:

236073191_o.jpg

SWEET!! :thu:

The 3TS HWY 1 I played ws like butter...and it just sang unplugged. However I couldn't get a signal out of it...ended up using a blonde HWY 1 for the clip. It was quite nice as well (and an excellent tone when I was fiddling with it after...recorded a noodling track and it sounds boss) but it didn't have the zing and "{censored} I think they set this up specifically for me" feel that the 3TS had for me...may have to go back and see how it sounds plugged in once they rewire it.

Archived