Learning basic bass for a guitarist

John Rimbaud

• Members

Hello

I've been playing the guitar for about 6 years. I'm not thinking about stopping it, but i'd like to get myself a cheap bass to record more interesting bass tracks for my song (i'm using a vsti right now, sounds awfull). Is it hard for a guitarist to get some basic bass skill ? I've tried one once and i managed to get some cool riffs with it but i was playing with a plectrum :p

• Members

my best advice...listen to songs in the genre you like and copy some bass parts note for note, rhythm for rhythm.

Biggest mistake guitarists make is not understanding the bass concept.

You probably have all the physical skills you need...or can get up to speed in short order. It's the groove, the feel, the SPACE BETWEEN notes that makes a bass line.

seriously - note for note...it's not as easy as it sounds but will yield good results

• Members

If you're looking to play bass without a plectrum you should get a resource/book that explains the basic technique so that you don't start off on the wrong foot (er...finger). It sucks to un-learn bad habits.

I'd also recommend finding a resource with lots of different rhythms. Think of the bass as a combination between the guitar and drums.

• Members

About the plectrum, is it "bad" to use it ? I'm going to play mostly thrash, power and speed metal (i also play hard rock and blues but i don't write that kind of songs) and the bassist too has to play awfully fast sometimes, like in holy wars from megadeth, do they play with their fingers ?

• Members

About the plectrum, is it "bad" to use it ? I'm going to play mostly thrash, power and speed metal (i also play hard rock and blues but i don't write that kind of songs) and the bassist too has to play awfully fast sometimes, like in holy wars from megadeth, do they play with their fingers ?

nothing wrong with it at all, though some will try to tell you otherwise. Just another tool in the tool box is how I look at it. I am a finger player only though.

• Members

Plenty of metal bassists do it either way. Obviously for you, using a pick will be a much quicker means to an end. Getting your fingers going as quick as some of these technical metal guys will not be a short order.

• Members

yeah as chris said. bass playing isn't about being flashy or fast-even in rock and metal. its completely about being rythmical and groovy. obviously for some metal and hard rock riffs you're going to want to follow the guitar parts to make it sound fatter etc but most of the time you will find that a more simple version will work a load better. it is really hard to get it right, but well worth the effort. check out bands like snot, clutch, audioslave/rage against the machine for their bass lines. (rage are brilliant for starting to play cause the bassist tim has totally mastered the knack of simple but groovy as {censored} bass riffs) There's nothing wrong with plectrum. again when it comes to heavy rock and metal lots of bassists use them to give the certain tone. however when your learning, in order to get your brain thinking in a slightly different mode from when your play guitar, try learning with fingers too. it might make the spaces between the notes easier to understand.

with finger technique: index and middle fingers, keep it as if they are walking, so alternate. you wouldn't hop to the shops cause one leg would be knackered. its the same principle with fingers. on the e and a strings, plant your thumb on the neck pick up, but as you move to the d and g strings, to reduce the possibility of getting rsi, move your thumb to either the e or a string.

good luck!!!

Chlo x

• Members

Playing bass with a pick is perfectly good. Many famous bassists do. Lemmy of Moterhead would be good example of a rythum guitar style bass player. As a guitar player you potentially have greater openmindedness to what you can do with a bass and still be very musical. So long as the groove is maintained. Lead guitar work type stuff can also be incorporated well in some cases. Try bass with overdrive and other effects as you would with guitar. Most of the bass players who developed a high rep for virtuoso playing skills do incorporate outside the box thinking and playing which includes guitar like stuff. But of course they still place rythum and groove at top of list. Bass guitar for ambient music can also be great even when its not rythum oriented music.

The notes that form power chords etc for rythum guitar can of course be used quite well in various ways and combos (whatever works ear pleasing wise) in creating bass parts for a peice of music. You dont need to think in terms of root notes only or other such newbie bass player suggestions since you allready have music making skills.

For nice inexpensive basses gettable for $300 range and under, I think Ibanez, ESP Ltd, and Peavey have the best qaulity ones.

• Members

Oh my god, listen to how she sounds...

same some words...say schedule...

I bet the dumbest person in England is smarter than anyone we know...

:) ......schedule?.....:facepalm:

as Eddie Izzard once said 'if your an american in the uk, say 'alright, just a bit knackered' and you'll fit right in!!!;)

or the london version 'aaarrr mate, I'm proper knackered like-no wa' i mean, yeh?!'

• Members

Hey as you are a guitarist I would suggest that you stick with a pick as you wont have to learn a new technique by learning with your fingers, thus saving you time. The best thing to do is listen to sounds with basslines you like, as a beginner I would suggest root note songs as these can be great for beginners and you could be playing a full song literally within hours of picking up a bass.

• Members

I prefer the P overall. People tell me jazzes are more versatile... well I just think they have more sounds. The P has better sounds.

i dont find that to be true. but for recording, i agree with you - a P sounds amazing in mostly every situation when it comes to recording. simple and effective.

• Members

:)
......schedule?.....
:facepalm:

as Eddie Izzard once said 'if your an american in the uk, say 'alright, just a bit knackered' and you'll fit right in!!!
;)

or the london version 'aaarrr mate, I'm proper knackered like-no wa' i mean, yeh?!'

knackered...now in my vocab...:cool:

• Members

Use a pick. Finger style is for p*ssies.

Work on building up speed first, and worry about timing later. If at all.

Count on the drummer to keep time for you. That's what he's there for.

Contrary to popular belief, tubes suck for bass. Get a solid-state rig.

Fender basses suck. Ricks are worse. Get a black bass---the pointier, the better.

Screw four strings. Real bassists player fivers.

You're welcome.

:wave:

• Members

:)
......schedule?.....
:facepalm:

as Eddie Izzard once said 'if your an american in the uk, say 'alright, just a bit knackered' and you'll fit right in!!!
;)

My wife is British, so this is especially funny to me. :lol:

• Members

nothing wrong with it at all, though some will try to tell you otherwise. Just another tool in the tool box is how I look at it. I am a finger player only though.

+1.........I use both but, I'm a pick player 90% of the time :thu:

And learn to "play bass"...........it's definitely not like "playing guitar". Alot of guitarists go into it with a mindset of "well, I can play a six string guitar so how hard can it be to play bass?"

As others have said, it's a "groove thing".......lock in with the drummer and try it.....you'll like it! :thu:

Archived