Fender Flats vs T.I.?

sub5ound

• Members

I am currently loving Fendy flats on my:

017.jpg

These strings seem to make this bass THE ONE.

Here's my #1 bass (lawsuit Schecter 80's jazz) strung with DR round Lo's, now going by the wayside...

341.jpg

What the fuck? I know this post makes no sense, but has anyone compared the Fendy flats to the Thomastik? Are they what all the golden boys on TB say they are? Or are Fendy flats strung on my Fiesta just the shit?

TELL ME, IS IT WORTH EXPERIMENTING??? I have found that flats suit the Fendy bass the best...but should I mess with the T.I.'s?:facepalm:

You decide...I'm inept and drunk:wave:

• Members

I like the flex too. I've been using the lightest gauge I can get for the Fender to compensate for the round stocks it came with, 45-65-80-100. Though the flats are a bit lighter in gauge. I figure with the tension and all? This axe is money and I don't want to break my tech's balls with minor bull{censored}.

• Members

No nno no nono onn no (on?) no. The way that everyone says the economy is right now, I can no longer afford to visit threads not relating to kitttens and not having to set up one of two of my only money makers:lol:

Urgh and fuck. It aint all that bad. I just love me' boomsticks and be a shame to steal the thunder from me' broom.;)

• Members

I would compare my experience with D'Addario strings with eating six lbs. of sour patch kids.

That's just the tone.

As far as tension, I would place that somewhere between barbed wire and ferret tendons. I just gave away a set of those to my landlord's maintenence guy.

• Members

Are the TI's way loose? Or do they have at least some reasonable tension?

I don't wanna go too floppy...

AFAIK TI flats are one of the lowest tension flats available. This is one of the main reasons some people dont like them. Having said that, I dont find them floppy. If you are happy with your fenders then why try to fix something that is not broken ? However if you have the spare cash and dont mind the low tension then try the TI's. You probably wont be happy 'till you do so, and I'm sure you wont be disappointed. :)

• Members

I've got Fenders on my P bass-TI's on the Casady.I had the TI's on the P for a while when they were new but preferred the Fenders back then.Now that the TI's have aged some I think they would sound better on the P as well but I can't bring myself to pull them off the Casady.IMO-Fenders sound good right off but TI's sound better down the road.

• Members

I used TIs for a while on a P-bass I used to own. I loved the tone, but personally, I didn't like the lower tension. I actually prefer a fairly heavy pull, so the Fenders are great for me.

Sound wise, I'd say the TIs have a richer, more complex sound that's as close to 'punchy' as you'll get with flats. The Fenders are more about the old school "thump".

Archived