Adding tension to B-string?

L. Ron Hoover

• Members

Snagged off TB:

one option is to go to Radio Shack and find 1/4" spacers (for use with Circuit boards) thread one on the end of the Bistring so it fits between the ball-end and the bridge. It'll lengthen the string just a wee bit and add some more tension.

Bridge

||

String==========||[==]@

|| spacer

I got this out of Gary Willis's book 101 Bass Tips

:facepalm:

• Members

Sure, if it's not counteracted by the 2 points that determine intonation: the bridge and the nut. Haven't studied this in depth. Worth a try if someone feels adventurous, and wants to report back. But to be fair, other than qualitative "sounds better-worse" aor "feels tighter", such good investigation would require both a string tension meter to check mid-length tension and/or a dynamometer on the end ball.

• Members

one option is to go to Radio Shack and find 1/4" spacers (for use with Circuit boards) thread one on the end of the Bistring so it fits between the ball-end and the bridge. It'll lengthen the string just a wee bit and add some more tension.

You can't fix stupid...

• Members

It adds length to the overall string length between the nut and ball, (or peg and ball, either one), but doesn't affect the length between nut and bridge saddle. It does this by spacing the ball away from the bridge via the spacer tube. So instead of the ball resting directly into the bridge, it rests into one end of the spacer tube, and the other end of that tube rests into the bridge.

• Members

Uh huh. It does all that.

Unsurprisingly though, that does absolutely nothing to change the amount of tension experienced by the player. X thickness of string requires T tension to achieve P pitch across L length from nut to bridge. Length between nut & tuner or between bridge and tailpiece is irrelevant.

It adds length to the overall string length between the nut and ball, (or peg and ball, either one), but doesn't affect the length between nut and bridge saddle. It does this by spacing the ball away from the bridge via the spacer tube. So instead of the ball resting directly into the bridge, it rests into one end of the spacer tube, and the other end of that tube rests into the bridge.

• Moderators

Of course coyote-1 is dead on, because the scale length isn't changed there is no possibility to affect tension without affecting the pitch. There are guys that understand that point completely and still insist that the flexibility of the string is affected, with the increase in non-speaking length decreasing the flexibility of the speaking length. This has not been my experience.

• Members

Of course coyote-1 is dead on, because the scale length isn't changed there is no possibility to affect tension without affecting the pitch. There are guys that understand that point completely and still insist that the flexibility of the string is affected, with the increase in non-speaking length decreasing the flexibility of the speaking length. This has not been my experience.

What will legitimately affect the feel (only) of the string is cheating the taper point as close as possible to the bridge break angle point - it's meager at best, but noticeable if you can get the gap down below 1". This may address inharmonicity too but I can't prove it. I'm tinkering with this right now.

• Moderators

What will legitimately affect the feel (only) of the string is cheating the taper point as close as possible to the bridge break angle point - it's meager at best, but noticeable if you can get the gap down below 1". This may address inharmonicity too but I can't prove it. I'm tinkering with this right now.

I am certainly not convinced this is impossible.

Archived