Do you prefer active or passive picups?

DaveAronow

• Members

I don't need active features so I prefer to go without the battery hassle.

I have one bass, my main bass actually, that has 25 year old active EMG's in iut. I love the tone of the bass, but frankly, I am sick to death of dealing with the batteries.

I am this close *holds up fingers* to swapping them out.

• Members

None of the above. I have both active and passive electrics and an acoustic and I like how they all sound in different contexts.

Some people think an active bass is needed for heavier music but I never really understood that one..something about loud guitars and cutting through, I guess, but I sound just as good playing in a metal band with a P-bass as I do on my Spector ;)

• Members

I prefer the flexibility of active because I can have more control over my EQ right there at the bass as opposed to the limited control provided by a passive bass. I still play both, though.

+1, I love the 3 band onboard EQ on my Musicman.

• Members

I have one bass, my main bass actually, that has 25 year old active EMG's in iut. I love the tone of the bass, but frankly, I am sick to death of dealing with the batteries.

I am this close *holds up fingers* to swapping them out.

Buy Q-Tuners.

• Members

Like Kindness, I don't much care if the pickups are active or passive, but I'm no big fan of onboard preamps-the only one I've played that was worth having came from Alembic.

I'll agree with this, only active preamp I have ever used was on my Alembic 8-string.

• Members

I'll agree with this, only active preamp I have ever
used
was on my Alembic 8-string.

I loved mine because it wasn't redundant to the controls on the amp-it did something different to justify its presence in the bass. :D

I'm probably switching my Skjold order so that the electronics are volume/pickup selector/passive tone, since that's all I've found myself using on the STR.

• Members

I loved mine because it wasn't redundant to the controls on the amp-it did something different to justify its presence in the bass.
:D

I'm probably switching my Skjold order so that the electronics are volume/pickup selector/passive tone, since that's all I've found myself using on the STR.

Exactly.

That would be pretty cool seeing such a deluxe bass and still true to old form in simplicity.

• Members

Exactly.

That would be pretty cool seeing such a deluxe bass and still true to old form in simplicity.

That's the idea-SmallEQ's Skjold has a similar configuration, and it sounds fantastic.

I've thought about having the pickup wired straight to the jack with no controls, but I'm not that much of a minimalist. :D

Archived