nbd: 1962 Ibanez model 1901

brake

• Members

A buddy of mine bought this on fleabay a few months ago and I recall him having some plans for it, but all he really did was refinish it. When he got it, the finish was {censored}ed, so redid it in a nice blue. The finish isn't perfect but...I paid $100 for the thing :cool:

Everything about this bass screams cheezball - Look at the pickguard and bridge cover! I thought the pickguard was something he made himself but after some interweb sleuthing, I found they actually made them with those hideous things :D

Picture001.jpg

Picture009.jpg

These aren't my pics, they're his. I'll probably take some when I get the time. The volume pot is a little scratchy, but moreso towards the top of the volume spectrum. I don't even know what the scale length is and I don't have a measuring tape in my dorm room to check myself.

How would I go about figuring out what bridge replacements would work on this? The one that's on it is questionable.

• Members

Renfield, I thought "White Stripes" as soon as I saw it! :D

Here's the only other pic I've found of one online

la-901-2-1.jpg

This bass is screaming for flatwound strings...I've only had it plugged in for like two minutes. He had some double ball end headless strings on the E and A and then two old nickel rounds on the D and G...I figure it won't kill the bass to go without strings until I get a real set of flats. At least I hope it won't kill it :D

• Members

Renfield, I thought "White Stripes" as soon as I saw it!
:D

Here's the only other pic I've found of one online

la-901-2-1.jpg

This bass is screaming for flatwound strings...I've only had it plugged in for like two minutes. He had some double ball end headless strings on the E and A and then two old nickel rounds on the D and G...I figure it won't kill the bass to go without strings until I get a real set of flats. At least I hope it won't kill it
:D

Is it short scale? Would you dare tempt fate with a set of Roto 50-110 flats? They are some pretty high tension. They're yours if you want them, I'll never use them. They aren't even 5 minutes old.

• Members

I have no idea what scale length it is as I don't have a measuring tape to check but if you really don't need them I'd gladly try!

Kindness, since you're probably reading this, would you be able to explain the scale length/tension relationship and why these Rotos might not work?

• Members

I have no idea what scale length it is as I don't have a measuring tape to check but if you really don't need them I'd gladly try!

Kindness, since you're probably reading this, would you be able to explain the scale length/tension relationship and why these Rotos might not work?

Other than folding a cheap or flimsy bass in half? :lol:

Shorter scale you'll want heavier gauge strings to get up to tension faster (awaits bitch slap from Kindness for getting a term backwards ;)) so if it's a short scale bass, these strings might actually suit you more. If it's not, be prepared for a workout, that's all. Considering you play URB, you'll likely be fine, I'm a wimp with tendonitis that I have to keep in check.

PM me your deets, they'll hit the mail this weekend if you want them.

• Moderators

Other than folding a cheap or flimsy bass in half?
:lol:

Shorter scale you'll want heavier gauge strings to get up to tension faster (awaits bitch slap from Kindness for getting a term backwards
;)
) so if it's a short scale bass, these strings might actually suit you more. If it's not, be prepared for a workout, that's all. Considering you play URB, you'll likely be fine, I'm a wimp with tendonitis that I have to keep in check.

PM me your deets, they'll hit the mail this weekend if you want them.

If they are high tension strings (like Renfield suggests and I don't have any reason to doubt) then that is good for maintaining a higher tension a short scale bass (which isn't always easy to do). If it isn't a short scale bass, you just have to make sure the neck is strong enough to handle higher tension strings. Some necks aren't up to the task.

• Members

If they are high tension strings (like Renfield suggests and I don't have any reason to doubt) then that is good for maintaining a higher tension a short scale bass (which isn't always easy to do). If it isn't a short scale bass, you just have to make sure the neck is strong enough to handle higher tension strings. Some necks aren't up to the task.

I said pretty much exactly this in PM. :cool:

• Members

Will it funk up the neck if there's no tension on it for a little while? I'd imagine that since it hasn't warped in the last 47 years it's probably not going to start now..

It shouldn't.

I left the Daion stringless for about a month and a half, and it didn't do anything to it.

• Members

I like it. If I owned it, I would sport a goofy grin on my face every time I pulled it out in public, so I admit the cheese factor. Nonetheless, I like it. Of course, I like old Ibanez and am I'm a sucker for anything old if it plays alright.

Congrats on the $100 antique!

• Members

Thanks dudes. I'm gonna ask my teacher tomorrow if he's got an extra set of strings laying around. He knows a guy that's a D'Addario endorsee so he gets packs of strings for like $11. It's gonna hurt to look at this bass for a week and not play it :D

Thanks again Renfield!

• Members

I like it. If I owned it, I would sport a goofy grin on my face every time I pulled it out in public, so I admit the cheese factor. Nonetheless, I like it. Of course, I like old Ibanez and am I'm a sucker for anything old if it plays alright.

Congrats on the $100 antique!

I can't look at it without grinning :cool:

It's so light. I think I'm gonna get the wiring redone at some point just because. Also, the pickup sits on the body, not in it..weird.

• Members

I can't look at it without grinning
:cool:

It's so light. I think I'm gonna get the wiring redone at some point just because. Also, the pickup sits on the body, not in it..weird.

That's like LP Juniors, the dog eared pups are surface mounted. Brighter tone. Cover your ears when you light it up.

Archived