Blocking The Universe (guitar mod alert)

Renfield

• Members

So my roommates band hits the studio this weekend and the other guitarist decided that he didn't want the floating bridge on his 7-string Ibanez Universe to float ever again, so he got me to do something about it. After that I will rewire it internally so that the bridge pup goes direct to the lowest switch position and all others are killswitch positions. Other than a killswitch it'll be wired straight to jack. The 2 unused pups will remain for consistency in feel, looks and string tension from the magnet draw. :cool:

Ok, to work...

I taped off the outer edges of the cavity before I started as a safeguard against any wandering tool edges. I want this thing to stay shiny after I am done. It will stay there until the very end as I will be painting the block black as well to further conceal it and it's already masked off for me this way.

taped-back.jpg

Next up I cut and shaped a piece of solid maple to the size I needed after measuring it out with a template I made of cardboard (sorry no pic for that).

My camera is even worse than I thought, so this is as good as it gets for the maple block I am afraid.

block.jpg

Then I sanded down the paint on all the areas of contact inside, and glued in the block, clamping it down after.

glueing-block.jpg

glueing-block2.jpg

The final steps will come tomorrow after the glue sets on block #1. I'll update then. :)

• Members

Excuse my ignorance, but I know nothing about "floating bridges". What are you doing and why?
:)

Have you seen an Ibanez, Jackson or some other style of guitar with a locking nut and Floyd Rose style bridge? If not, hit up Google. I'll wait. :)

(this is t3ch we're talking about after all. ;))

Ok, what I've done/doing is to put carved blocks of wood in front of and behind the bridge on the underside, locking it in place, and in tune, forever. They are tuning/intonating nightmares on the best of days as the saddle height is tension dependent, and if you break a string you are pretty much screwed. Now it's a fixed bridge not unlike a string through. Ever seen a Godin bass? Those bridges look similar from the bottom.

• Members

Ok, what I've done/doing is to put carved blocks of wood in front of and behind the bridge on the underside, locking it in place, and in tune, forever. They are tuning/intonating nightmares on the best of days as the saddle height is tension dependent, and if you break a string you are pretty much screwed. Now it's a fixed bridge not unlike a string through. Ever seen a Godin bass? Those bridges look similar from the bottom.

Ah-ha. Makes sense, gotcha. Cool beans. :thu:

• Members

Ah-ha. Makes sense, gotcha. Cool beans.
:thu:

They don't actually attach to the bodies, they "float" on two tapered bolts, its the pivot point on a lever. The strings pull the bridge up, and underneath springs pull it back to make it sit flat. I've just fixed it in the perfectly flat position, can't go up or down anymore, and thus removing the springs from the equation in the process.

• Members

I would like to find some work like that around here to keep me busy. I love to take on projects like this.

Back home I had as many as 5-8 guitars pass through my home workshop every week consistently. I miss having that extra scratch.

• Members

I'm glad Ive only gotten trem equipted guitars whose floating bridges stay in tune very well. (Jackson and BC Rich). Never liked real floyds, poor tuning stability in comparrison and added an annoying amoiunt of treble zing due to the metals used. Prob same formula as baddass 2 bridges which also add extra treble zing to sound. So I take it your turning it into a tune-o-matic and stopbar tailpeice guitar?

• Members

"permanent" blocking... brave move. I go through phases where I love or hate my trem. I think I would want it back eventually.

This is why I have two Strats. One is a vintage-y hardtail, the other is an eighties shred-machine (with FRII).

It's not mine. He's a strictly rhythm player, he doesn't even own the bar anymore. It's just a nuisance to him to have it float, so now it doesn't. He's had the guitar since it came out, he's next upgrading to the new SD active 7 string guitar pup for the bridge. It's a keeper to him. Needs new frets badly though, that'll be another day I fear.

• Members

OH GOD DAMN IT

Renfield, I really... REALLY wish I knew you were planning this, I would have shown you this:

http://www.tremol-no.com/products.asp

products5a.jpg

It's a brilliant design that lets you switch your guitar between hard-tail mode, free-floating tremolo mode, and dive-only mode. My brother worked with the guy who developed this idea, and had one of the first working beta models. We spent many emails and MANY Youtube videos to show him what needed to change, improve and rework. It's a killer design. He has it installed on his 1989 Jackson custom shop Randy, and he even recently took it to the designer to let him finally check everything out. He didn't believe my brother had it back there, he couldn't even feel that it was installed in there.

It's a dead-simple upgrade, completely reversible, completely uninvasive, and is excellent for string changing without the bridge dropping two inches every time.

Look into it. Ask me questions. It's a killer product. And you don't need to block that Universe.

Some of the guys who are currently using it:

http://www.tremol-no.com/players.asp

And we've met Rusty Cooley a year ago or so, and he LOVES this thing.

• Members

OH GOD DAMN IT

Renfield, I really... REALLY wish I knew you were planning this, I would have shown you this:

http://www.tremol-no.com/products.asp

I've thought about getting this for my Ibby (with a non-locking 2-point bridge), but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe I'll have to bite the bullet...

Maybe Renfield's friend just wanted the tone only a solid piece of maple would provide. :idk::D

• Members

I've thought about getting this for my Ibby (with a non-locking 2-point bridge), but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe I'll have to bite the bullet...

Maybe Renfield's friend just wanted the tone only a solid piece of maple would provide.
:idk::D

He wanted it locked down for life, it's not my place to argue, just do the work. :idk:

Honestly though, I had never even seen those before, interesting idea for sure. What do they cost? Probably more than I charged him to block it, I'm poor and need to pay for a flight like now, so work cheaply. He also needed it turned around before Friday so he can use it in the studio.

And it isn't truly for life, the block could be popped out if he really wanted it to be, not a whole lot of wood makes contact, it has a good lever point to get under it and removed if he ever wanted.

• Members

Yeah my brother got one of those Tremol-no's for his Ironbird. Looks really cool!

Oh btw Renfield, why did you PM me about this thread?
:confused:

Brain fart late at night, last night.

Someone from here put a comment on my FB page last night about the "blocking out the universe" thing because it's my title there ATM. In my tiredness (and green haze ;)) I must have thought it was you for some silly reason. :facepalm:

• Members

Brain fart late at night, last night.

Someone from here put a comment on my FB page last night about the "blocking out the universe" thing because it's my title there ATM. In my tiredness (and green haze
;)
) I must have thought it was you for some silly reason.
:facepalm:

Oh right... it just really confused me. :lol:

Archived