Bass Amp Equipment - Covers genre 60's to todays music

traynorbass

• Members

Hello,

I am currently using a Traynor YBA-200 Bass amp head and the combination 2 x 10 + 15 inch speaker bin. I play with a Fender 60th Edition American P Bass passive & Musicman Stingray 4 active bass through this Amp. Soundwise pretty good with the valve head etc. Nice bottom end which I like to drive the beat with the Drummer in our band.

I have been recommended the Ampeg CL Classic All American 300 Watt Valve together with the 6 x 10 bin or 8 x 10 bin. I understand that these ceased production in America around 2006.

Can anyone advise if you have one of these, are they ok for the Rock Covers Genre for the period I am playing.

I also understand that these are the flag ship of bass amps, but they cost an arm and a leg to own one + they weigh a ton.

Any recommedations on Amps and cabs in general they would also be ok to look at.

Regards Scott/Australia.

• Members

Hello,

I have heard that the Ampeg 300 Head has a lot more head room than the Traynor which would be correct given the difference in wattage alone, but at 40kg approx quite a lot to carry around. Don't get me wrong I am happy with the Traynor Amp they are also bulit like a tank from Canada, they have been referred to as a baby Ampeg, without the price or weight.

What Bass Rig do you use??

• Moderators

There are lots of ways to view "headroom" and in this case I consider the most useful definition to be how much louder your rig can be than you need it to be. As long as your rig is loud enough, who cares how much more headroom you could have.

---

I use a combination of many different heads and cabinets.

Heads:

Ampeg SVT

Ampeg V-4B

Fender AB763 (Twin Reverb)

Fender 5E3 (Tweed Deluxe)

Marshall 1959 (100 watt)

Thunderfunk TFB-550

Cabs:

(2) Acme Low B-2

Custom cabinet: 15" + 6"

• Members

Hello Again,

Thanks for the advise on, yes the Amp is pretty loud with clarity. I tend to change the sounds through the Amp via the changes in different Bass Guitars. I am a very traditionalist bass player, do not use peddles etc. Love the 60'70'80's bass sounds. Plenty of bottom end with presence subtle highs, mid level mids.

The Traynor Amp delivers these no worries has both high and low inputs. I have been recommended a few times to use the Traynot YBA - 200 head with the Acme 4 x 10 bins, but tend to find that the combination Traynor Bin provides greater flexibility with both includedas a 2 x 10 with 1 x 15.

Regards Scott.

• Members

Hello,

I guess that you are right in what your saying, probably have answered all my own questions on why I should look at changing???

Have had no issues with the Traynor Bass Rig, pretty reliable and does the job. The 4 x 6550 Sovteks are excellent in sound and quality combined with the preamp section. Solid epoxy circuitry as well, I do not undertsand why a lot of really good Bass Manufactures are purely know building Amps in China/Vietnam. I know they sell for a lot less because you cant compete with labour charges, but at the end of the day they are sacrificing quality. Even Ampeg CL Classic's are know made in Vietnam, hence the original enquiry looking for an American CL Classic Head. The stuff they made back in the 70's to 90's was pretty good stuff that stood the test of time, now days everthing is through away.

Thanks. Scott

• Moderators

You are correct that the amps being made today are, for the most part, disposable. You are also correct that there was a time when that wasn't the case. However, unless you are doing the work yourself, or know a good local tech, it might not make sense to go buy something used that is already 20-40 years old simply because they don't make them like they used to when you already have highly functional gear. Use what you have until there is a problem or you have a real need to change it up, then take a look at what new or old product is going to meet your needs most effectively.

Archived