Paging Spinal Injection folks

BottomHeavyKate

• Members

Okay - I had a thread over a week ago about a bad beer that gave me a chlorinated taste/smell in my mouth and nose.

Well - I no longer thing it's from the beer. I had had a spinal injection a few days before that episode. The bad taste/smell lasted about 36 hours or so.

Well - two days after my last injection series (six more injections farther up my spine) I got the taste/smell again while I was walking to the train (and not drinking beer). It hasn't gone away since last Friday so I'm going on a week with this.

I've called the doctor and haven't heard back yet. Has anyone else experienced this as a result of steroid injections?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I assume by "spinal" injection you mean an epidural steroid injection. I can't think of a single scenario where that could possibly be related. Never ever ever. Nope. Still can't.

Nice sarcasm.

I've read that a metallic taste can be a side effect of an epidural steroid injection. I know several people on this forum have had this procedure done and I was asking if any of them had experienced it.

So - thanks for this enlightened post.

• Members

Definately related. My wife is an Labor and Delivery nurse and when they give epidurals the doc always tells the patient to mention if they get a metalic taste in their mouth. This is a sign that the epidural is too far in (epidurals don't actually penetrate the spine, the just load the surrounding area). So I'd assume that if you are getting spinal injections, this could easily be a side effect. As always, check with your doc.

• Members

Okay - I had a thread over a week ago about a bad beer that gave me a chlorinated taste/smell in my mouth and nose.

Well - I no longer thing it's from the beer. I had had a spinal injection a few days before that episode. The bad taste/smell lasted about 36 hours or so.

Well - two days after my last injection series (six more injections farther up my spine) I got the taste/smell again while I was walking to the train (and not drinking beer). It hasn't gone away since last Friday so I'm going on a week with this.

I've called the doctor and haven't heard back yet. Has anyone else experienced this as a result of steroid injections?

I fortunately haven't experienced this (no injuries there) but I have assisted giving them. The taste is most likely from the steroid and will go away in time but it's duration is different with different people. Things are not metabolized quickly in the spinal canal because there is less vascularity compared to other areas of the body. This also means it remains in the canal for a longer time period and hence along the your cranial nerves as well; one of them for the sensation of taste.

This taste is probably happening as a result of the higher level injections to which you referred. Most like in the upper thoracic or your cervical vertabrae. Is that right?

• Members

Nice sarcasm.

I've read that a metallic taste can be a side effect of an epidural steroid injection. I know several people on this forum have had this procedure done and I was asking if any of them had experienced it.

So - thanks for this enlightened post.

Didn't mean to be sarcastic. While it IS true you TRANSIENTLY have a metallic taste in your mouth (few seconds to a few minutes) when some of the local gets into your blood stream, it is not the sort of thing that lasts for days.

Maybe you woudn't need epidural steroid injections if you weren't bottom heavy. Eat less and move more.

whoops there I go being sarcastic again

• Members

Didn't mean to be sarcastic. While it IS true you TRANSIENTLY have a metallic taste in your mouth (few seconds to a few minutes) when some of the local gets into your blood stream, it is not the sort of thing that lasts for days.

Maybe you woudn't need epidural steroid injections if you weren't bottom heavy. Eat less and move more.

Her bottom's just fine.

Trust me.

• Members

i dont remember any taste from an epidural, but that was almost 12 years ago
:idk:
but i cant remember the ouch effect of the needle
:eek::lol:

If you get the taste during an epidural, the doc has gone too deep with the injection.

• Members

I assume by "spinal" injection you mean an epidural steroid injection. I can't think of a single scenario where that could possibly be related. Never ever ever. Nope. Still can't.

Just curious and this is not intended to be a dig on you, but where do you get this info to base your opinion on?

• Members

That is totally untrue. What exactly do you mean by "too deep" anyway.

If you don't know what I mean, how do you know it's untrue? :confused:

An epidural doesn't actually penetrate the spine.

Epidural injection....

Image1.jpg

A true spinal injection....

Image2.jpg

....and the reason I know about the "metallic taste" is that every doc my wife works with tells their patient to tell them immediately if they get it whist receiving an epidural.

• Members

My dear - I'm in no need of eating less and moving more. I don't you know you from Adam - and while this is the great anonymous interwebz - I personally know that several people have had the same procedure as I do.

Which is why my question was directed at them.

I don't know if you are a doctor - or have had this procedure done before - or where you are getting your info. In answer to your telling me to eat less and move more - I say

STFU N00B!!! :mad:

• Members

Kate when you have a taste of metal from an ESI, it due to lead toxicity.

PLEASE tell me you are joking.

This is what I hate about the internet. Lot of info, most of it is pure BS.

Again, the metallic taste in your mouth is a sensation reported by people who have had local anesthetic (lidocaine, buvicaine, ropivicaine, etc) inject into the BLOODSTREAM. Depth has nothing to do with it.

IT is TRANSIENT (lasts seconds, MAYBE a couple of minutes) NOT DAYS.

I really was initially trying to be helpful.

I am SORRY if I came off as being sarcastic. I take back the insult. Okay?

• Members

This is what I hate about the internet. Lot of info, most of it is pure BS.

Again, the metallic taste in your mouth is a sensation reported by people who have had local anesthetic (lidocaine, buvicaine, ropivicaine, etc) inject into the BLOODSTREAM. Depth has nothing to do with it.

So I must assume one of two things. The Docs who do this every day and hold medical degrees don't know what they are talking about or my wife has decided to lie to me about what those docs do every day. Wait, a third possibility just occurred to me......

:)

Archived