Aria pro 2 sb elite 2 pickups

Pancake

• Members

im trying to find replacements for the hack job that was done to this bass i aquired. ive found out that the originals were MB II double coil

anyone know of a good replacement, or replica for this model that will fit the original mounting holes without any mods

• Members

Kent Armstrong in the US, or Aaron Armstrong in the UK (Father & Son) can make replacements. I just got a replacement off Aaron a month or so ago. Make sure you tell them you need the 5 conductor wire pickups. They the Aria replacement pickups to order.

Links...

http://www.kentarmstrong-handmade.com/

aaron [at] armstrongpickups.co.uk

If you need to contact aaron by phone I can send you his number.

• Members

So, technically speaking, I could build my own Aria knockoff with an Armstrong pup, a Variatone switch, and various n' sundry other goodies. . ...wouldn't be the same of course, since I wouldn't have whatever active electronics are in an Aria.

Interesting idea anyway.

• Members

So, technically speaking, I could build my own Aria knockoff with an Armstrong pup, a Variatone switch, and various n' sundry other goodies. . ...wouldn't be the same of course, since I wouldn't have whatever active electronics are in an Aria.

Interesting idea anyway.

I guess you could.... but it wouldn't be the same. Also it'd probably be cheaper just to buy one. :lol:

The Armstrong pickups are indentical in size & shape but they have a different construction inside. The tone is somewhat similar but maybe not as bright.

The Elite II that the OP is talking about is passive, I have one of them... very nice bass. :cool:

• Members

I guess you could.... but it wouldn't be the same. Also it'd probably be cheaper just to buy one.
:lol:
The Armstrong pickups are indentical in size & shape but they have a different construction inside. The tone is somewhat similar but maybe not as bright.

The Elite II that the OP is talking about is passive, I have one of them... very nice bass.
:cool:

awesome thanks, now u wouldnt have a wiring diagram would you? i want to make sure there were no changes in the department as well.

and gogo matsumoku!

• Members

awesome thanks, now u wouldnt have a wiring diagram would you? i want to make sure there were no changes in the department as well.

and gogo matsumoku!

Now thats something that I don't have... The wiring diagrams are scarce for the SB's. There are a few over at http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/fyfeholt/aria.htm

But none for the Elite II.

If you want to post a clear picture up of the cavity I could check it and compare to mine (which is totally stock). :idk:

• Members

Now thats something that I don't have... The wiring diagrams are scarce for the SB's. There are a few over at
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/fyfeholt/aria.htm

But none for the Elite II.

If you want to post a clear picture up of the cavity I could check it and compare to mine (which is totally stock).
:idk:

that would work its not as cool as a diagram, but still usable. How much did your pickups run you?

• Members

I might see if I can draw up a quick diagram... might be easier. I'll have a look when I get home.
;)

both would be awesome ^.^ you should get a giant cookie for your hard work :thu:

also here is a pic of inside my housing Here

• Members

:o

Probably not gonna be much use to you.... mine doesnt have the three way rotary switch. Just two volumes, a tone and the two parallel/series switches.

The wiring looks ok in yours so it's probably the pickups that are busted, it seems to be fairly common. I have a Black N' Gold I with a busted pickup, I managed to get an original replacement for it though. :D

• Members

:o

Probably not gonna be much use to you.... mine doesnt have the three way rotary switch. Just two volumes, a tone and the two parallel/series switches.

The wiring looks ok in yours so it's probably the pickups that are busted, it seems to be fairly common. I have a Black N' Gold I with a busted pickup, I managed to get an original replacement for it though.
:D

well im really not sure it is, because of the way someone installed those pickups

The pickups that are in it now work, but as i mentioned before it was a hack job. the pickups were oversized so they drilled holes on the sides of the screw holes and tried to fasten them down with wood screws, due to these changes i am missing the foam rubber spacer for the front. they are also both lopsided and not spaced properly between the strings and the pickup its self. i was looking to confirm what changes they did in there to accomidate the current set of pickups and reverse them. To really seal the whole thing in a neat package, it all just really bugs me mostly because i have no idea what other changes were made to it as well..

• Members

this just in you can order pickups for prior models from aria, i was told that the pickups would have to come from the factory would take about 3 months

You can but they're not the same. :poke:

They're a different size and they're not 5 conductor, so you can't use the series/parallel switches which is one of the best parts about the other pickups. :cool:

Thats why I suggested to get one of the Armstrongs to make you them, and it doesn't take 3 months! :facepalm:

As far as the wiring goes I would suggest when you get the new pickups and bring the whole lot to a competant tech and get them to rewire the bass entirely. Provided the pots are ok they should still be able to use them. Stay with stacked pots if you have to replace them though.

• Members

You can but they're not the same. :poke:

They're a different size and they're not 5 conductor, so you can't use the series/parallel switches which is one of the best parts about the other pickups.
:cool:

Thats why I suggested to get one of the Armstrongs to make you them, and it doesn't take 3 months!
:facepalm:

As far as the wiring goes I would suggest when you get the new pickups and bring the whole lot to a competant tech and get them to rewire the bass entirely. Provided the pots are ok they should still be able to use them. Stay with stacked pots if you have to replace them though.

well, the aria tech i talked to said it would be about a month, it would be a special order from the factory, but he said to err more to 3 months. and it would be 250 per PU that part makes me sad. im going to go with the ones u suggested since they are 140 per. But the great news from this all, the tech told me that he might be able to secure a wiring diagram for me. ^.^

• Members

As I said they're different pickups. I have one of the new ones in my customshop reissue. The reissues come with those pickups but the basses cost $2500 each. It's not an MB-II, sounds similar... looks similar but is a different size.

Good luck on the wiring diagram! Post it up if you get it.

• Members

As I said they're different pickups. I have one of the new ones in my customshop reissue. The reissues come with those pickups but the basses cost $2500 each. It's not an MB-II, sounds similar... looks similar but is a different size.

Good luck on the wiring diagram! Post it up if you get it.

All Hail me! wiring diagram for the sb elite II.

Disclamer: the tech i got from wasnt sure if it covered all production years, use with caution and good sense.

Sb elite II wiring dia. here

• Members

All Hail me! wiring diagram for the sb elite II.

Disclamer: the tech i got from wasnt sure if it covered all production years, use with caution and good sense.

Sb elite II wiring dia. here

Wow, fair play to you!!

Could you send me the details of where you got this?

Also, could you send this onto Graeme who runs the Aria SB page or else I could do it. :)

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/fyfeholt/aria.htm

• Members

Just on the subject of this... I think it covers up to about '87? The last year or so had a different wiring scheme as it was made by another company.

• Members

Pancake >>> Super Bass

and the only one greater than i is my alter ego Waffle

Just on the subject of this... I think it covers up to about '87? The last year or so had a different wiring scheme as it was made by another company.

Matsumoku stopped producing arias from their factory and the production later moved the to korea, to my understanding is the Arias from the Matsumoku factory have the jack plug-in inset and the ones after they changed over do not, but i think there were a few that were produced in the korean factory that mimiced the Matsumoku design. What model/yrs does your wiring diagram cover?

Archived