If I ever sell the Eden or the Sterling...

willsellout

• Moderators

That's what I hear and really what I want. Its going to be nice to have two amps that do completely separate things.

They will be different. The Ampeg will have a flatter "clearer" response in its linear range and will distort pretty dramatically if you push it past its rated output. By contrast the Eden will sound "warmer" and "smoother."

• Members

They will be different. The Ampeg will have a flatter "clearer" response in its linear range and will distort pretty dramatically if you push it past its rated output. By contrast the Eden will sound "warmer" and "smoother."

Yeah that's kind of what I was hoping it would do.

Now for a serious question, can someone explain the terms lo-fi and hi-fi to me?

I've heard people say all the time that the Eden is very hi-fi and modern, but honestly it's not really what I think of when I think modern sounding bass.

Dan

• Moderators

Yeah that's kind of what I was hoping it would do.

Now for a serious question, can someone explain the terms lo-fi and hi-fi to me?

I've heard people say all the time that the Eden is very hi-fi and modern, but honestly it's not really what I think of when I think modern sounding bass.

Dan

To me hi-fi = high fidelity = what goes in comes out louder and not distorted (EQ is a form of distortion in this context). Under that criterion, Eden is not hi-fi, but I think many people say hi-fi when they like something and many people like Eden. :idk:

When I think real lo-fi I think filters/techniques used in recording, reamping, etc.; intentional distorting of the signal for effect. Making it sound like a AM radio, static sounds, feedback, etc. Very few amps are lo-fi to that extent, but there are lots of amps with strong voicings that distort the signal. In my book the Aguilar DB750 is the king of lo-fi amps.

• Members

There's nothing "lo-fi" about a V4B.
:confused:

In a good way... And yeah, there is. It's all semantics. The Ampeg brings it's own voice to the plate, and contributes mightily to the overall tone. I've been gigging a '71 V4 almost exclusively since 2005, (I stupidly sold a '74 in 1983 to finance my move to Oregon)... Plug in a P, power up, sound great. It is not a transparent amp IMO... That's where I apply the 'lo-fi' term.

I used to have an old Eden VT-.40 with the Demeter designed tone-stack, very different from Eden's later stuff. It didn't impart a ton of it's own character to the sound. Nice and transparent, which is what I wanted at the time. The Eden sounded great no matter what was plugged into it, but it was very 'polite', (in a LOUD package!)... There was not a lot of tone-shaping in that model, but then again, there wasn't too much of a need. To me, that leans more to the 'hi-fi' side of amplification... Gimme my signal, but louder...

IMO, my AI is 'hi-fi' in that, to my ears, it is almost completely transparent. The tone controls are geared more towards tuning to the room than altering the instruments' character... high-fidelity...

-robert

• Members

To me hi-fi = high fidelity = what goes in comes out louder and not distorted (EQ is a form of distortion in this context). Under that criterion, Eden is not hi-fi, but I think many people say hi-fi when they like something and many people like Eden.
:idk:

When I think real lo-fi I think filters/techniques used in recording, reamping, etc.; intentional distorting of the signal for effect. Making it sound like a AM radio, static sounds, feedback, etc. Very few amps are lo-fi to that extent, but there are lots of amps with strong voicings that distort the signal. In my book the Aguilar DB750 is the king of lo-fi amps.

THANK YOU. It always bugged the sh*t out of me when people described Eden as hi fi. It certainly is clean, but has a very distinct color to it.

• Members

THANK YOU. It always bugged the sh*t out of me when people described Eden as hi fi. It certainly is clean, but has a very distinct color to it.

I don't find their amps to color the tone.

I find their cabinets to color the tone.

When I listen to the DI for recordings, it simply sounds like my bass, but loud.

When I listen to the rig itself, the characteristics of the cabinets come out. THAT's where the Eden sound really comes out.

The XST cabs are deep, thick, no midrange hump, clean highs. Very smooth sounding cabs.

The XLT cabs are loud, abrasive, midrange-humped, cut through any mix without flinching, and can get growly and nasty quite easily.

The 212XLT, however, is as close to a blend of the two as you can get. It's like a tighter, faster 215 cabinet like an ancient Acoustic or Sunn, but smaller and more compact. It's a magical cabinet. I can get my low B to rumble like crazy, but playing smooth gives me a smooth tone. Playing hard brings out the growl and snarl and bite. Very responsive to my playing. I don't get that from any other manufacturer's cabinet, not even other Eden cabs.

If I had to, I'd play any amp, as long as it's through my 212XLT's.

• Members

I've run frequency sweeps on the output. They match what I hear.
:D

Yeah, I've compared an Eden to a DI and the Eden provides all kinds of color. On the upside, the flat setting on an Eden is a great sounding factory EQ, which is why so many people like them. It's a sound that's hard not to like.

• Moderators

Yeah, I've compared an Eden to a DI and the Eden provides all kinds of color. On the upside, the flat setting on an Eden is a great sounding factory EQ, which is why so many people like them. It's a sound that's hard not to like.

No doubt.

• Members

Yeah its definitely an amp that puts it's stamp on your sound.

• Members

Very choice man. :cool:

Later this year if we're gigging enough I want another quality 4 banger and I've been eying Sterlings for years. One with a J/H (or MM, whatev) to match my FB4 would be killer.

As far as the Eden "color" goes, I absolutely love it. I've said for a while now if they could make a DI that would get that post-preamp sound without having to carry around an amp it would sell like crazy.

It's by far my fave-sounding DI post from an amp.

• Members

:thu:

Archived