Opinions On Sidewinder Bass Humbucking Pickup

*BLEEP*

• Members

I played an Epiphone SG bass earlier tonight. I wasn't much impressed with the bass guitar as a whole as I was its fat bold sounding Gibson-copy Sidewinder pickup. Up until tonight, I'd heard reports that the Sidewinder pickup was muddy and indistinct sounding compared to other pickup configurations. In my case, I found the Sidewinder pickup in this Epi SG bass to have more character and treble response than the small bridge humbucker pickup. It certainly had more power than the bridge pickup.

I recall seeing a few people in the past that had a Sidewinder installed in a non-Gibson bass, such as in a Fender J-bass and a Rickenbacker 4001. I'm thinking about installing one in my MIM P-bass. Are there any decent aftermarket Sidewinders available? I've only found one, and that one is available through AllParts.

,TIA

• Members

Dimarzio Model One was made as a replacement/upgrade for the Sidewinder. The Dimarzio Willpower Neck is a Model One voiced a little differently. They're both not cheap but you get what you pay for. :p

Cliff Burton's Ric ended up with a Sidewinder at the neck and a Dimarzio Jazz pup at the bridge. Of course Billy Sheehan used a Gibson pup on his P bass at the neck as well. He got the idea from I think one of his favorite bass guys, Tim Bogert. I'm sure there were others. Lug even has a bass with a Willpower Neck as the only pup, positioned fairly in the middle of the body aka P-bass position.

• Members

If you like that pickup, I would look into ordering one direct from Epiphone. The Model One is a replacement but its tone is significantly different. An original Sidewinder (not one of the reissues) does indeed have a much muddier tone than the Epi ones.

And I agree with you (which, BTW, is disagreeing with most on this board) that that bass sounds pretty damn good.

Archived