Good wireless for bass

mattgaipa87

• Members

I once used a Sennheiser ew172G2 system that worked pretty well. I ended up selling it because I took a break from music for a year. When I buy another wireless, I will likely buy one of the Line 6 X2 systems. I've heard they reproduce bass frequencies very well, and they aren't badly priced either.

• Members

When I buy another wireless, I will likely buy one of the Line 6 X2 systems. I've heard they reproduce bass frequencies very well, and they aren't badly priced either.

I had looked into those, and besides the unit being made of cheap plastic it gets pretty good reviews.

I also know what series your talking about for the sennheiser, I looked into those as well.

• Members

Senn EW172

Bulletproof.

I have an X2. I seem to be the only person that's had LOS issues with mine. It cut out on me repeatedly at gigs and I was no more than 15 feet from it. I keep it in my office at work now. I thought about selling it, but would feel bad about putting it on someone else.

• Members

Cue Bryan316 in 3...2...1...

*pantpantpan* I'M HERE!!!

Okay. I've been involved in a somewhat heated yet very productive and informative debate in another thread.

Two points to note:

1 - The Line6 X2 digital wireless system is an amazing product with, so far, a pretty flawless track record, except for a first-run batch of foreign-made Line6-era production run with some glitches.

2 - The StageClix wireless transmitter is the best European-frequency transmitter to be touted as of late, but the only guy here who hsa tried it, got a dud. He's currently getting it replaced/repaired, so we're waiting IMpatiently for a gig report to know exactly how it performs.

Now then. The X2 system is easily the best wireless system I've tried, and I now own a USA-made pre-Line6 XDS-Plus system. Four gigs in, perfect. Month of practices, perfect. Month of my brother using it for guitar before I had a chance to crack open my rack and shelf-mount everything the way I wanted it, perfect for him as well. We demo'd the {censored} outta this thing when it first came out, cuz we were hella-skeptical. To the point of, "Screw that, I'd rather get blah-blah used for less..."

The X2 system is, for all intents and purposes, the same design as the X-Wire digital system, that was bought-out and incorporated by Sennheiser as their Digital Reference system. Still sought after today, still pulling a good price tag because it is NOT an obsolete design and never will be.

I suggest you go to Line6's website and download their instruction manuals so you can study up on them. If you're in the US and have little expectations to perform in Europe or Asia, it's the best bang for the buck, ESPECIALLY since they had a significant price drop. I snagged my XDS-Plus for $275 tax included everything out the door.

Now. I know that Musician's Friend had a bum batch. But as far as I know, no other hiccups. I watched Line6's forums and read posts on it, so far, it's calmed down and the waters are smooth sailing. And Line6 seemed very quick to get these dud units fixed/swapped immediately for customers.

The StageClix... I'm not even close to qualified to speak on it. I'm sure once it's replaced and proven, it'll show to be an excellent product for the European market. Have to wait for the repair report.

EDIT: The only thing cheap about the "cheap plastic housings" is their wire belt strap clip. The chassis of the transmitter is perfectly sturdy, and I squeezed and twisted it like I wanted to ruin a pack of cigarettes. Couldn't. I have no worries. I also never EEEVER trust AAANY transmitter's belt clips, whether steel wire, molded plastic, or whatever. I got the NeoTech wireless pouches for both my stage basses and I'll never worry about them failing me. Best investment anyone can make for their wireless transmitters.

LINK: Neotech wireless pouch on MF

225022.jpg

• Members

Got over a year's worth of gigging on my XDR-95, and I'd highly recomend that - carries a low B as good as any cable, and has been 100% reliable... It also recorded VERY well out of it's DI...

- georgestrings

Exactly what I was so suspicious about. So when we rigged it up to test it in the store, I had a few bassists listening carefully as I swapped back and forth. They all thought there was no signal difference. Whereas, my old Nady had HORRIBLE tone-suckage when I swapped it with a regular cable. Cable brought my low B back to life. So this X2 has been a rumbling blessing.

• Members

Exactly what I was so suspicious about. So when we rigged it up to test it in the store, I had a few bassists listening carefully as I swapped back and forth. They all thought there was no signal difference. Whereas, my old Nady had HORRIBLE tone-suckage when I swapped it with a regular cable. Cable brought my low B back to life. So this X2 has been a rumbling blessing.

Yeah, mine is also a "pre Line6", US made unit - and has been flawless... As for the transmittor, I've read it's made out of the same stuff as a CD, and they're pretty damn tuff to break - I'm not the least bit worried about mine... I don't have a problem with the clip, as I just put mine in my back pocket, with it clipped to the pocket - and I've had no troubles that way, and I'm pretty active on stage...

I would consider the pouches if I bought a 2nd transmittor, as I change basses throughout the night - and I'm actually thinking of buying an XDS-PLUS to use with my NeoPak, and to also end up with 2 transmittors... Actually, I have a friend hand make my straps - I'd *probably* just have him make up 2 pouches, and attach them to the 2 straps I typically gig with...

Anyways, the XDR-95 has totally kicked ass for me - and those who know me, know I'd have NO problem pointing out any faults I've run into...

- georgestrings

• Members

Well that pretty much sums up what I was thinking. A few months ago I had looked into the line 6 wireless and figured that was the best bang for my buck, and it seems to be true according to you guys.

If you go X2, I'd either get the xdr95 (rackmount) or the xds-plus. I had the xds95 like Thunderbroom's, and had line of sight issues...just not sure that I'd trust it. I replaced it was an xdr95 and it's been great. I second Bryan's advice on using the neotech holder for your transmitter.

• Members

You'd have no problems using the XDS-95 if you either place it on top of your amp when setting up, or sticky-velcro'd it to a rack shelf. I even had my wireless sticky-taped to the top of my amp before I got a rack shelf, and put the amp on the bottom of the rack so space was left above it.

The XDS-Plus, giving me the dual-signal diversity, fits exactly in a 1U space. BUT... it's not a flawless fit. For example, I cannot see the signal lights or the battery lights. Hidden inside. I can also not reach the channel selector switch on the receiver, so I'm always on channel 1. Which doesn't matter, I'm the only one in the band running an X2 system. Also, I cannot access the power button because it's racked this way. BUT.... when you press the unit on, and unplug the wallwart, when you plug it back in, the power automatically comes back on! No need to access the switch! And yes, that WAS something I checked and tested before buying it, knowing I was going to rackmount it and make all those buttons inaccessible.

So I just hit my Furman's power switch, everything lights up and I adjust volume accordingly.

Dead nuts simple.

• Members

As I always do when these threads come up, I will highly recommend what I use - an older Sennheiser Digital 1000. Haven't been made in years, but if you can find one used at a good price it's an excellent option. Great build quality, NO tone suckage or loss, plenty of signal strength, decent flexibility (four frequencies to choose from), and ultra reliable. Only downside is that it (like most every wireless unit) eats batteries pretty quickly, but welcome to wireless use on that front.

It's digital and, as Bryan316 alluded to earlier, essentially shares the same tech as the original X-Wire and the current X2 (at least how I understand the situation). It's the good stuff.

I love and swear by mine, and I'm pretty sure there are a couple more forumites here that also have great experience with this model. If you find one used at a good price, jump on it.

• Members

I have been using an Audio Technica 1400 series wireless for almost 5 years now without one single problem. I love mine! Plus, when the cable jack goes bad, you can just buy a new cable for 15 bucks, and just plug the new one into the bodypack.

• Members

I use a X2 XDR-95 as well. I really like that it's got two receivers built into it where most wireless units have one. The purpose of the two receivers is to split the frequency response capture in two. One receiver captures the lower and mid frequencies while the other captures the upper frequency.

Mine is rackmount, but it's got the removable mounting ears that allow it to be used out of the rack with my combo amp when needed.

Buy a XDR-95, you won't regret it. :thu:

TD

• Members

Can't wait till they're finally adapted for use over here.

Apparently though I will be the owner of an X2 myself soon enough, found a guy over here who managed to get his hands on one of the pre-Line 6 ones that had apparently been modified for Australian use (I had heard of them, they were being sold over here temporarily before being recalled when Line 6 took over) so here's to hoping. I'll give it a try and see how we go, will probably end up gaffa'ing it to something. The only thing that sucks slightly is I can't run my effects through my effects loop, so I'll probably have to put the receiver down on my board...eh, will give it a crack and keep a cable handy...

• Members

So, how come no one has mentioned a Shure wireless system? I'm definitely not trying to say that they are better or worse than any of the other systems, I'm just surprised that they haven't been mentioned. Is there some standard problem with them? Are they just too expensive?

I was considering the PGX series before the X2 line was revamped and re-released (and subsequently re-bought out!) but in a price/performance comparison, you just get more with the X2 line.

That being said, if I were to ever get a big, badass 100% digital setup I'd get one of those Shure U4D's or whatever. Sick stuff.

Archived