Webcam question

groutt

• Members

I'm way out of touch and never did really know much about this stuff in the first place. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction. I'm looking to re-do what I had set up in back in 2000, but doesn't work any more with winXP.

What I think I'd like...

NTSC analog frame grabber. USB would be nice.

Software waits 5 seconds, grabs a frame, saves it to the local hard drive as a jpg with the SAME FILE NAME EVERY TIME.

Repeat.

That's all. Do not FTP. DO NOT INDEX THE FILE NAME. Don't need sound. Don't need full motion video. Don't need low light.

If the grabber had a hardware "capture" button, I'd be OK with soldering a timer switch on to it.

The only reason for analog camera is the one's I have do nice zoom and manual focus. And I can use a 50ft cable. And I already have them.

Does any of this make any sense?

• Members

A few years ago I did a vxWorks driver for pretty much the same thing except it was externally triggered at the 60Hz clock rate of the particle accelerator it was to be used on. Anyway, I'm sure there is stuff for XP that does what you need. I know there are things in the Linux world that do it.

EDIT: This should work although I think you can find something cheaper.

Cheaper.

• Members

I'm way out of touch and never did really know much about this stuff in the first place. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction. I'm looking to re-do what I had set up in back in 2000, but doesn't work any more with winXP.

What I think I'd like...

Software waits 5 seconds, grabs a frame, saves it to the local hard drive as a jpg with the SAME FILE NAME EVERY TIME.

Repeat.

That's all. Do not FTP. DO NOT INDEX THE FILE NAME. Don't need sound. Don't need full motion video. Don't need low light.

If the grabber had a hardware "capture" button, I'd be OK with soldering a timer switch on to it.

The only reason for analog camera is the one's I have do nice zoom and manual focus. And I can use a 50ft cable. And I already have them.

Does any of this make any sense?

wat

• Members

wat

Let me rephrase that...

:blah:

Waits 5 seconds, grabs a frame, saves it to the local hard drive as a jpg with the SAME FILE NAME EVERY TIME.

Repeat.

Archived