How to get big bottom sounds with a Rickenbacker 4003?

lobo2k8

• Members

Hi all. I am new to this forum, but hoping to find some good advice.

I have a Rick 4003, and I love it. Generally, i play through an Ampeg head/cab. (I just sold mine when I moved West so I am looking for a new setup)

A new band I am auditioning for wants a really heavy bottom sound, and my Rick, while amazing, seems to have stronger mids and trebles.

I am more a "plug and play" guy, loving both Ricks and Ampegs, and not being overly finicky. Any tone or amp advice from the pros to get a deeper heavier sound from my Rick? Some ideal tones are Future of the Left (ex McClusky band) or GVSB

Any help is appreciated. I do plan on going into a guitar shop and trying everything out to see if there's something that clicks with me in person, but I would really appreciate some tips.

Thanks!

• Members

I never seem to have any problem getting bottom end that rattles teeth with an Ampeg + Ric combination. Fiddle with your eq and hand technique.

What I've heard about Rics is that they are mid and high oriented, but This sounds like good advice.

• Members

What I've heard about Rics is that they are mid and high oriented, but This sounds like good advice.

I think they got that rep because of Geddy and Chris. You never heard Paul sound clanky with them. I posted an MP3 of Tom Sawyer I recorded with my Ric and the problem with it is it sounded too bassy.

• Members

Thanks mates.

I will certainly look into a P bass, but short term, i am going to try to make it work with my current bass, mostly for keeping costs down.

I was thinking of a Jag bass too but I need to play some different models to see how it sounds.

I will fiddle with the EQ and my pick techniques too, assuming i buy another ampeg. I will most likely spend some time trying out new gear and adjusting.

• Members

I can't remember the controls on the Ric but I don't remember ever having a problem getting nice lows. Could it be the setup you have going on? Does your Ric have the adjustable pole pieces?

it could very well be my setup. i am going to bring it into my local bass shop here in seattle and go through it with them...that will help too.

• Members

the bridge pup height is adjustable. The neck not so much. The neck solo'd with some of the highs rolled off usually gives a more woody sound. With a little distortion, you can get a Jack Bruce type tone from it.

The bridge pup solo'd with the highs rolled off gives a very focused low end.

• Members

Getting a really deep sound out of my Ric is easy for me, but I have an old 4001 so I don't know if that makes a difference. Flip the PU switch "up", which disengages the bridge PU. Then just adjust the amplifier. My Ric is naturally deep, it's just a matter of removing the clear. What I really dig about it is when I tune out the clear, sliding up and down the neck gives me a near fretless tone. It's why the Ric is so great for playing melodic basslines, IMO.

• Members

i think you should send the Ric to me. i will do an in depth analysis to determine the maximum bottom achievable with this bass. such a study should be completed in 2 to 3 years, at which time a complete report will be sent to you.

Funny!

Archived