Computer guys: Questions about Netbook and Open Office

venturawest

• Members

so i'm in the market for a netbook for when i travel. hauling my IBM T series, as much as I love it, gets tiring. i'm looking at an ACER, ASUS or HP.

anyone have one of these things, pros/cons (i've read all the reviews but would like any personal experience) etc?

also, the only things i need it to do are to access the internet, and run office so i can work on papers and presentations. has anyone used Open Office? how would i install it to a CD-drive-less netbook? is it really just as useful as word/excel/powerpoint from the enduser perspective? or am i better off (ugh) buying a copy of office?

Thanks!

• Members

I've got an MSI Wind and run MS Office 2007 on it with no problems. Though I have a copy of OpenOffice, I've never really used it because I haven't had to. To install OO, you'll just need to d/l it, right? I installed my MS product via an external hard drive that I already had.

• Members

Buy a Dell or a ThinkPad. The HP with the atom is pretty decent too. Friends don't let friends buy Acer.

He has a Thinkpad! :poke:

Ventura, stay clear of Acer... I've heard worse support stories about them than I have about Eden and that says a lot!

I bought an Asus EEEpc a while back and its very nice. It's just a 701 but even still, very nice. I gave it to my Mum to use and she's happy with it. One of the bigger ones would be awesome. :)

• Members

Yes, for OO, all you do is download it... CD Rom has nothing to do with anything.

My favorite brand of netbooks right now are the Asus. They seem to be the nicest looking, have a good features/price ratio, and have THE most comfortable keyboard out of all of them (to me), which is a HUUUUUUUGE deal.

Ever tried typing on a Dell netbook? You'll never want to kick a kitten through a goalpost no more than after 30 minutes on one of those.

• Members

Ever tried typing on a Dell netbook? You'll never want to kick a kitten through a goalpost more than after 30 minutes on one of those.

Yup.

No matter what, get a 10" or better, if just for the keyboard.

• Members

Ever tried typing on a Dell netbook? You'll never want to kick a kitten through a goalpost more than after 30 minutes on one of those.

I've got one on my lap right now and I want to throw it out the window. Sadly it's not mine so I can't. I'm using my Lenovo to type this. :p

I'm currently trying to format the harddrive on the Dell so I can put Kubuntu on it. :cool:

• Members

Yes, for OO, all you do is download it...

Yep.

Also, tangential to this conversation, there is OOO Portable, which runs off of a USB drive. Not the best for everyday usage, but it's great to know that you've got a full office suite in your pocket (that can open nearly any file and export to pdf), no matter what computer you're using.

• Members

I'd get the 10" screen as well. You'll hate the keyboard and the small print on the screen but if ultra-mobility is what you want, go for it. I haven't heard anything about support on these but what do you want for a $300 laptop? Open office is a download. Very similar to office but it'll take a bit to get used to. And you have to set it to save in Office 2003 formats.

• Members

so i'm in the market for a netbook for when i travel. hauling my IBM T series, as much as I love it, gets tiring. i'm looking at an ACER, ASUS or HP.

anyone have one of these things, pros/cons (i've read all the reviews but would like any personal experience) etc?

also, the only things i need it to do are to access the internet, and run office so i can work on papers and presentations. has anyone used Open Office? how would i install it to a CD-drive-less netbook? is it really just as useful as word/excel/powerpoint from the enduser perspective? or am i better off (ugh) buying a copy of office?

Thanks!

I use OpenOffice on my IBM X series and it's great. I've had no problems exchanging documents with MS Office users. I can't do without the trackpoint so I'm waiting for the next generation Lenovo netbooks which are suppose to include one.

• Members

I'd get the 10" screen as well. You'll hate the keyboard and the small print on the screen

Aye. :thu:

Any of the 7.9" or 8.9" can go jump off a cliff. There's convenient and portable, and then there's stupid and annoyingly small.

• Members

first of all, tell your, uhh..."friend" (yeah, sure :poke:) that if it has an adam's apple...well, your friend has been warned.

:facepalm:

on an unrelated note:

thanks for the insights. i wouldn't mind having the slightly larger 10" screen.

my only reason for not wanting to put in office 2003 (which i have, and love) is quite simply this: in order to get a copy of it, i'll have to buy it. which means, of course, spending as much for office as i did for the damn netbook. AND i'll have to get an external CDrom to install it, which means

netbook: $300

office 2003: $300

CDR for installing it: $100.

defeats the purpose.

thoughts?

• Members

first of all, tell your, uhh..."friend" (yeah, sure :poke:) that if it has an adam's apple...well, your friend has been warned.

:facepalm:

on an unrelated note:

thanks for the insights. i wouldn't mind having the slightly larger 10" screen.

my only reason for not wanting to put in office 2003 (which i have, and love) is quite simply this: in order to get a copy of it, i'll have to buy it. which means, of course, spending as much for office as i did for the damn netbook. AND i'll have to get an external CDrom to install it, which means

netbook: $300

office 2003: $300

CDR for installing it: $100.

defeats the purpose.

thoughts?

You can connect to the CDROM on your T-series over the network.

• Members

You're sacrificing practically everything for the form factor.

Given what you're doing with it, that's probably OK.

i have a t-60 laptop that i use at home, and it's great. the only thing is, it's hard to travel with it - makes my briefcase heavy and bulky and is a royal PITA travel wise.

so i want a small, very portable netbook for when i travel, where i need it to perform essentially 4-5 functions: word, powerpoint (or their equivalents), internet access, and very rarely editing a short video. VERY rarely.

so advise me, obi-wan!

• Members

i have a t-60 laptop that i use at home, and it's great. the only thing is, it's hard to travel with it - makes my briefcase heavy and bulky and is a royal PITA travel wise.

so i want a small, very portable netbook for when i travel, where i need it to perform essentially 4-5 functions: word, powerpoint (or their equivalents), internet access, and very rarely editing a short video. VERY rarely.

so advise me, obi-wan!

Again, if that's all you're doing, it'll be perfect.

I tend to favor the Samsung NC10.

• Members

ASUS eee 1000, like this one, and download open office:

opinions?

Looks good, the HE is supposed to have good battery life, and you can bump the Atom 280 to 1.7ghz...The keyboard is a bit smaller than the MSI, which is my favorite, but it's bigger than the Acer and way bigger than the old Eees...

Don't Ebay though, especially since you can get it at that price from NewEgg and you know they're a reliable seller...

• Members

Just bought my dad an HP Mini 1010NR for his birthday. It was on sale for just $279 at J&R last week, including free shipping and Windows XP pre-installed. It also has a web-cam, which is good since my dad uses Skype when traveling (web-cams are optional on a bunch of these netbooks, like the Dell Inspiron Mini 9 I was originally looking at). I spent an extra $22 to upgrade the RAM from 512MB to 2GB.

The big selling point for me was the almost full-sized keyboard. The other 8.9" netbooks I tried had keyboards too small for any serious use.

The way I see it, if you're going to buy something like this, you want the smallest, lightest, and cheapest one you can find that still gives you a big enough keyboard for normal use. I can't see paying much more than $300 for something like this, as the utility is really quite limited. For what my dad needed, the 1010NR is perfect.

Archived