Hardcore computer guys: Why all the hate for Vista?

Funkee1

• Members

Ok.... I use a computer, but I am not a hardcore guy. I have used all the operating systems. I am using XP now, but my laptop had vista, and I couldn't see any real differences.

What am I missing? There seems to be so much violent hatred for Vista, and I can't, for the life of me, figure out why!

I know it isn't backwards compatible, so you may have to do some googling to fix old software. Is there more than that?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ive only used it a few times and what pissed me off most was that "are you sure" crap. i am pretty sure you can turn those features off now but i just wanted to get done fixing the two different vista machines i was working on and be done with it so i didnt bother to tinker around at all.

• Members

I liked it at first try. Then I started to see what wasn't working properly. My post from ebassist explains why I {censored}ing hate this piece of crap product now:

I'm one of those people that just wants Linux to work. The OS should support whatever programming needs I have, but stay the {censored} out of the way. IRIX and Win2K were good at this.

IMO Vista is in my way part of the time. It leaves empty(?) folder trees behind when I move files. It doesn't remember folder settings. It doesn't show file sizes for media files, but irritatingly wants to show me ratings. I can't move files around without checking everything 3 times, and it thinks I have time to rate music!? It seems to not care about the difference between My Documents and Desktop so I don't actually know where I saved the file. It constantly grinds away at my hard drive and runs out of memory when playing Diablo II, a video game first played in the Silurian period. The spectre of rights management makes me wonder whether my monitor will actually play Blu Ray disks as it seems every component in the machine must be coded for the rights. The sound management is complicated and ornery for recording.

Vista was put together by 99 crack-smoking marmosets with brain damage, and I hate it. All of this adds up to an OS that I can't trust. Microsoft owes me a new OS and an apology for this POS I bought. They {censored}ed up big time.

Make it reliable, make it fast and make it lean. And
please
make it stay the {censored} out of my way.

http://ebassist.com/forum/showpost.php?p=318877&postcount=9

• Members

I hate that they had to scramble the locations of settings and so on. I hate the UAC "Are you sure" "Are you really sure" "really really???". I have seen too many people have to update their very expensive apps because they are no longer compatible. I have seen too many people lose expensive hardware such as network laser printer/scanners and so on because it's not compatible. A $500 computer ends up needing $200 of ms office, $180 of quickbooks, $300 of adobe software, and a $100 printer.

I have a beta of Windows 7 but haven't tried old software on it yet. We'll see...

• Members

I still think Win2K was the best OS MS ever made. That being said, my Dell runs Vista Home Premium 64. What don't I like about it? Well, the fact it needs 1.6GB RAM just to show me a desktop for starters. I turned UAC off in 5 minutes due to the "Cancel or Allow" prompt every time I moved the mouse.

Then I had a stupid icon in my taskbar telling me UAC was disabled. Yeah, thanks for the update, Windows. I need to leave the icon there though, just in case there's been an update since the last time I used my Windows machine (only use it for RC Flight Sim program so it gets light use).

I too hate what philthygeezer mentioned; it takes an act of god to get audio file sizes. I have to do ALT+ENTER to get the size attribute. Talk about a P-I-T-A.

My son received some old ('96) kiddie software from a friend. It won't run in Vista, but runs perfectly in XP.

The Control Panel is a mess. I turned on the 'Classic' CP because at least then I can find where to tweak options without having 4 new windows open and descending into wizard hell.

Other than the above gripes, Vista seems to work fine. I've only done light surfing via FF3.x and run my RC Flight Sim so I'm far from a daily user of Vista.

• Members

Vista is a resource hog and it won't run effectively without a completely brand new computer with latest hardware. Many older cards and printers won't work with it so you have to buy new everything, *IF* they have latest Vista drivers.

And M$ has bowed to Hollywierd interests by implementing that damn DRM, which interferes with every process and slows the system down tremendously.

FWIW, our IT department at work (very large company BTW) has written off Vista and will neither install it or support it. When we purchase computers, we request XP or we'll image it with the standard plant setup.

• Members

For us hard-core guys ( I'm a Basics from the 60's) there is no Vista hate. That's just an ad campaign from a Seriously Retarded second (and not close) competitor.

Apple's Mac/PC ad with the security guy saying "Cancel or Allow" after every sentence seemed quite on the mark to me after using Vista for a few minutes, and I was on the Administrator account!

• Members

I don't hate Vista but it's been extremely frustrating at times.

1. There are all kinds of notifications that can make normal use anything but normal. Example: I had a hard drive that Vista claimed it couldn't find drivers for. Yet, it was working fine. But every few minutes I was getting a message that said something like: "Can't find the drivers would you like to manually load the drivers?" I'd select "cancel" and a few minutes later, that notice would come back.

2. The Aero function is a CPU vampire.

I was complaining about things running really slow after 2 hours of use. Turning the computer off and restarting because an obvious fix.

I had been complaining to Comcast about my internet running obscenely slow. Downloads that would take 8min on my XP laptop might take 40min on this one. Finally, a friend suggested that I turn off Aero. WOW! No problems since then.

3. Grabbing icons is RIDICULOUS. Consider a desktop icon. The selectable area for that icon is way bigger than the icon itself. Thus, it's hard to grab several icons all at once.

In XP, I could drag a rectangle around several icons and drag-n-drop them somewhere. With Vista it's hard to find that precise location where I can begin capturing several icons. The first few times, I end up grabbing just one ... but I don't want to move 15 icons one at a time.

However,

I do like the notifications that ask me to give my permission to install something. I like the way that the search functions work. It's so easy to find something when I've got 3 different external drives attached to my laptop.

• Members

I've had zero issues with it for over 2+ years now to the day, with my PC on and running (with programs on) for probably 715 of the last 730 days.

2 hard locks that required the 5-second press to reboot.

• Members

For me it's pure resources. The amount of RAM is uses, the number of processes it needs. The sheer {censored}in' hard drive footprint.

ungh.

OK, so $350 gets me a good laptop with required resources (and OS).

Give me a clue - the Apple price for the same?

• Members

For us hard-core guys ( I'm a Basics from the 60's) there is no Vista hate. That's just an ad campaign from a Seriously Retarded second (and not close) competitor.

An ad campaign that started making those claims after people actually started bitching about how {censored}ty it is. I preferred XP. In fact, I bought a "Seriously Retarded second competitor's (BTW, :facepalm:)", and I wouldn't dare mess with Vista unless I had to. I had to work on a Vista machine when my "Seriously Retarded second competitor's" HD went down. I was frustrated by it daily. Put the hard-drive back in my main computer, and voila, it was like meeting an old friend.

• Members

OK, so $350 gets me a good laptop with required resources (and OS).

Give me a clue - the Apple price for the same?

Did you not see the new Windows commercial with the Lisa chick? :)

$1000 gets you a 13" I'm sure MacBook Air or some BS like that...

I can't believe people are bitching about resources with prices where they are nowadays... :facepalm:

• Members

Did you not see the new Windows commercial with the Lisa chick?
:)

$1000 gets you a 13" I'm sure MacBook Air or some BS like that...

I can't believe people are bitching about resources with prices where they are nowadays...
:facepalm:

Not a MacBook Air. $1000 gets you a 13-inch Macbook with the white case. Not a fast machine by tech specs, but I run circles around my work computer with it (a Vista-loaded PC).

• Members

Not a MacBook Air. $1000 gets you a 13-inch Macbook with the white case. Not a fast machine by tech specs, but I run circles around my work computer with it (a Vista-loaded PC).

The problem IME/IMO with PC's and Windows in particular is that people (mostly kids and grown ups who don't know any better) make lag the {censored} of their computer with all the "extra" crap they install, or gets 3rd party installed.

I"m not sure if it's the PC builder or Microsoft or both, but I always blow away my HD when I get a new machine, re-install the OS, and choose what apps and drivers I want to use.

I just did that to my 4 y/o HP notebook and it's got NOTHING but WinXP 2ED and some drivers for the hardware on it. Blazing fast even for today's specs. Loads up in under a minute, and it's like new (but in a good, clean way).

Google and Yahoo toolbars are the coming death of all good things on the PC... :facepalm:

• Moderators

I explained to my mom a few days ago when trimming the fat on her Vista machine that the computers they make for the general population are like the car rides they make for small kids at amusement parks. You get a car with a steering wheel that doesn't function, no accelerator or brake and the car is pulled on a track as you watch things go by. It's great if you just want to be pulled in a circle with your friends.

• Members

I explained to my mom a few days ago when trimming the fat on her Vista machine that the computers they make for the general population are like the car rides they make for small kids at amusement parks. You get a car with a steering wheel that doesn't function, no accelerator or brake and the car is pulled on a track as you watch things go by. It's great if you just want to be pulled in a circle with your friends.

That's hilarious! :lol:

• Members

Bwahahhaahahahaa :thu:

Archived