Sorry...I'm done with flats...no more chances!

sub5ound

• Members

It seems that no matter what brand I'm using on any given bass, there comes a time (usually when I guess they should be breaking in) that they just cease to work for me. I could EQ it to high heaven but who the hell want's to do that? Unless someone can change my mind, I'm throwing on Lo-riders and ain't looking back.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I use them on my P-bass and my fretless only...I don't care for them anywhere else. They sound freaking AWESOME on my Precision...so much thump and such a classic sound...just can't go wrong. Of course, fretless and flats just go together. :D

• Members

I had them on my 50's P, my vintage jazz...they just STOP to cut through a live mix (in my ears) after about three weeks of playing. This isn't the first time. I have tried Fender, GHS, D'Addario, Labella...

I don't know, I feel like I put in a worthy effort, you know?

I was curious about the TI's but now I feel confident they aren't worth trying.

Money is no object when it comes to good strings for me, they are an integral part of the instrument.

Whatever.

• Members

I had them on my 50's P, my vintage jazz...they just STOP to cut through a live mix (in my ears) after about three weeks of playing. This isn't the first time. I have tried Fender, GHS, D'Addario, Labella...

Money is no object when it comes to good strings for me, they are an integral part of the instrument.

Whatever.

Flats aren't for cutting through, they're for blending in. There's a place for that, but it's generally contrary to my EQ tastes. They have nice, deep lows, but their high end is just putrid. If you want to play flats you really need to reside in the lower end of the EQ spectrum.

• Members

This would give the impression that you felt compelled to like flats. They are not for everyone, so you are not alone in not liking them. Having said that, if you want to give them one more chance (and you did say that money was no object ) then you've nothing to lose by trying the TI's.

• Members

It seems that no matter what brand I'm using on any given bass, there comes a time (usually when I guess they should be breaking in) that they just cease to work for me. I could EQ it to high heaven but who the hell want's to do that? Unless someone can change my mind, I'm throwing on Lo-riders and ain't looking back.

Ti's are the only flats I have found that I recommend.

DR Lowriders are my favorite string, can't go wrong there.

• Members

I am starting to feel the same way about tape wounds . just took them off my fretless and it came alive. And I can get a similar tone by rolling back the tone (passive) knob on my bass...But I do miss the feel and look:cry:.

If I was in a band, where that tone sat well with, I would use them in a heat beat , but I'm not .

• Members

Whatever.

One set of Rotosound jazz flats I have is 5 years old. They cut through just fine.

• Members

I still don't know what you were expecting out of flats.

I'm a big fan of the "piano tone", so I'm all about rounds...but I prefer flats on my p-bass. That said, on a P/J, I would prefer rounds. I could go either way on my fretless...just depends on the situation/the tone I want. I've been using grounds on my fretless with much success. I've also used grounds successfully on my p-bass.

So what are your tone goals?

I've got Chromes on my p-bass now, and they actually have a lot of high frequency content when fresh. I can also work some nice harmonics out of them not they they're broken in. Chromes really threw me. They're very different from other flats. They have high frequency content, but not the harmonics of rounds.

• Members

Whatever.

Sounds like you just like the sound of fresh flats :idk: If you like they way the feel and sound then just put new ones on when they stop sounding the way you want.

I like nickel roundwounds but I wear them out after 3 or 4 gigs so I put new strings on every 3 or 4 gigs. I tried coated strings once and they did seem to last considerably longer but they don't make a set heavy enough for me so I went back to my regular strings and just change them every few gigs.

The $20~$25 for a set is just the cost of doing business.

• Members

It always surprises me when bassist show they have a closed mind.

For us ( Real Bassists) it's all about:

1) A groove

2) A tone

And somehow flats don't figure into the equation?

So I'm not a "real" bassist and I have a "closed mind" because I don't like the tone or feel of flats? Hmm. Guess I'm just a "bass player" then. :( Thanks for pointing that out.

• Members

So I'm not a "real" bassist and I have a "closed mind" because I don't like the tone or feel of flats? Hmm. Guess I'm just a "bass player" then.
:(
Thanks for pointing that out.

Sorry Mike:

But if by now you haven't figured out a place for flats, most of us old-timers kinda place you in the hobby player category.

No one said flats should be your only, or preferred strings. However, they are distinctively different.

Professional musicians have to deal with varied contexts, and flats have their place.

• Members

Professional musicians have to deal with varied contexts, and flats have their place.

This is true. IIRC, the OPs' context is a loud modern rock-type band. If he was playing Motown or Beach Music, I can see him needing flats in rotation.

And what kind of pro work is there in Morristown? Grew up in Warren county, there ain't {censored} there :)

• Members

Bolded for emphasis. Just sayin...

This is true. IIRC, the OPs' context is a loud modern rock-type band. If he was playing Motown or Beach Music, I can see him needing flats in rotation.

And what kind of pro work is there in Morristown? Grew up in Warren county, there ain't {censored} there
:)

Maybe he's speaking from a 'been there, done that' context? :idk:

I have to at least somewhat agree w/him. Experience has taught me that flats definitely have their place. So, I understand where he's coming from. :)

Archived