Eden WT-550 vs WT-800c to pair with my 410XLT?

Taustin Powers

• Members

Is there a significant difference in power/volume? My drummer and guitarist are fairly loud, but not unreasonable. I would only need to rely on the amp in the practice room, on stage it would always be DI'd to the PA.

I know the 800c has a lot more bells and whistles (EQ bands etc.), but I don't really need them. My only worry is that I might have to push the 500 too hard without comfortable headroom...?

Cab is the 4 Ohm version btw.

• Members

Not unless you bridge the 800C. If not you'll actually be getting 100W+ extra from the 550, which does 550W @ 4 ohms, and 720 @ 2 ohms. The 800's IIRC do around 400-450 per side @ 4 ohms.

:)

And I'm sure Bryan will chime in but I've pushed the 550 hard before and it doesn't run out of headroom very easily.

• Members

I would be bridging it, as I am only using that one cabinet.

I think what I'm gonna do is order a 550 and take it for a test drive. If I feel I need the extra juice, I'm gonna send it back and order the 800.

True, I'm just sayin' it's got enough running stereo that you don't really need it and you don't have to work your amp as hard! ;)

You should be fine w/ the 550, but lookit my amp and in no way would I ever tell you less power is better! :D :D

• Members

You will probably not be able to hear the difference between 550 watts and 800 watts. It would be less than 3dB.

The bridge on the 800 tho is like 1100W or something, IIRC. :)

So it's about double the power.

• Members

Musicians friend is offering up B stock 550's for 750.00 right now. They also have B stock 800's for a grand. THat's a helluva deal. If they would have had that deal going on when I made my purchase I would have went with the 550 I think. I'm glad I went with the 405 though.

• Members

The only problem with the 800's is that they don't say whether it's the A, B, or C models. I thought the B stock would all be new returns but my 405 was actually made in the US in 2007.

Yeah, that might be a possible issue if the 800's are C's then.

The 550's are clean across the board from what I remember tho.

Worst thing you could do is send the C back and ask for a diff one? :)

• Members

Well, my 550 has arrived, and I just played it for a few hours in the practice room. I love the sound, it's packing lots of punch! It's pretty loud too, but the real test will be on Monday, when I can try it out with the whole band. I really hope it can hang, cause I really like the size, weight and price tag compared to the WT-800c.

We shall see! :thu:

• Members

Well, my 550 has arrived, and I just played it for a few hours in the practice room. I love the sound, it's packing lots of punch! It's pretty loud too, but the real test will be on Monday, when I can try it out with the whole band. I really hope it can hang, cause I really like the size, weight and price tag compared to the WT-800c.

We shall see!
:thu:

Yeah you should be fine man unless y'all just get stupid, stupid loud.

I played mine through the 212XLT which is a fair bit quieter than the 410XLT outdoors a few times and it kept up very nicely.

• Members

We practiced with it today, and I could definitely play at the volume needed to be heard with the band. No headroom though - if i turn it up more, the clipping lights come on. :) I'll stick with it though. As long as I can comfortably play loud enough without any clipping, I'm not gonna spend the extra 600 Euros on the WT800c.

• Members

Did you set it up like they tell you to in the manual? I found early on that I was completely mistake on the power ratings. I once had a wt300 and I could get any volume out of it, so I blamed the head for it. Well wouldn't you know that I set it up just like every other bass head, which doesn't work with the Eden's.

Not saying you are doing the same thing but I found that setting it up like they tell you to allows for maximum headroom without clipping too much.

Dan

• Members

The bridge on the 800 tho is like 1100W or something, IIRC.

So it's about double the power.

You double the power for a 3dB increase. That also means each side of the 800 will be running at 2 ohms. It doesn't like that low an impedance and he'll have overheating problems. Eden only recommends bridging into an 8 ohm load at 800 total watts. That's why its called the 800, not the 1100.

• Members

Here's my belief.

If you can run the 550 at 2 ohms, it kicks ass.

With only one 4-ohm cab, it "does the job" for a really loud band. In an average rock band, that might be perfectly suitable. But for me, I need RUMBLE. I'm evil like that. I greatly prefer running two cabs off my 550. If I have to do one cab, it's usually a small stage and I'm not running around like a maniac anyways. But when we're on a big stage and I wanna go balls out, I definitely do! Then the 550 makes me smile ear to ear.

If you bridge the 800C into that 410, you'll know you can push that cabinet until it farts and still have power to spare.

But like you said... you can order it, test drive, and upgrade if you feel it doesn't do the job for ya.

• Members

You double the power for a 3dB increase. That also means each side of the 800 will be running at 2 ohms. It doesn't like that low an impedance and he'll have overheating problems. Eden only recommends bridging into an 8 ohm load at 800 total watts. That's why its called the 800, not the 1100.

Nope.

That's the 800A.

The 800B and C are both stable bridging at 4 ohms for 1100W.

Conservatively rated at 440 Watts (4?) per side with both channels driven, and 880W bridged into 8? and a whopping 1100 Watts bridged into 4? (with a minimum of 3dB of headroom), the WT800C is still the perfect choice for the touring professional.

:wave:

I had this amp and ran it bridged a few times for gigs and never had overheating/shutdown issues ever over the course of the 6-7 months I gigged with it.

• Members

We practiced with it today, and I could definitely play at the volume needed to be heard with the band. No headroom though - if i turn it up more, the clipping lights come on.
I'll stick with it though. As long as I can comfortably play loud enough without any clipping, I'm not gonna spend the extra 600 Euros on the WT800c.

If you keep the *enhance* dialed off it helps out a lot in getting extra headroom out of the amp.

Most people only use the enhance when practicing on there own, but in a live setting the enhance is actually a low mid scoop taking away the needed mids to get your bass to cut through a mix.

• Members

Enhance is unnecessary for live jamming. Bedroom practice, or recording, yeah it's useful. But for with-the-band jamming, it just sucks the life out of your tone and makes it sound muddy and too rumbly.

Enhance with moderation!

• Members

I'm watching this thread with bated breath...wondering about making the same change myself...

Taustin, what kind of music do you play, how loud do you practice and what do your guitar'ds use? Heavy hitting drummer?

Hit the myspace link in my sig to hear our music.

Our drummer is on the loud side, but he's not a total maniac. Guitarist plays some sort of Fenfer through a 2x10, but he doesn't turn it up louder than necessary. All in all though, it gets pretty loud in our practice space when we play, we all wear ear plugs, and the 550 could definitely hang, and hang well. Not sure how it would fare in a thrash metal combo with a brutal loud drummer and two thick distorted drop-c guitars though. My guess is it would work, but it might struggle a little.

I had the enhance on about 9 o'clock, cause I liked the tone there. I'll take it out for jamming next time and see how that goes. The amp definitely has a nice midrange that cuts through well in the mix. I dialed in some extra lower mids for more punch in my slapping, and it also made the fingerstyle pretty growly. :)

Just ordered a gigskinz bag as well for transportation. Turns out their "medium mixer" model is the exact right dimensions for the 550, with some extra pockets for cables. Most people on the Eden forums use them. (I got the old silver/grey version, the new one is ugly! :p )

Archived