joys of teaching (why i do it even on wedding anniversary's!!!)

Chlo_treacher

• Members

Hey everyone!

So I've just got back from another morning of teaching bass. It's mine and Sam's first wedding anniversary today (scary but yay) but i still went. Willingly. Even started earlier for a new boy. I've had this job now for just over 7 months now and you know I just adore it. I'm lucky-I teach in the back of the local music shop so i don't have to organize anything apart from my materials-so i just essentially turn up and teach. I've got 7 kids now including the one from this morning aged between 11 and 14. 3 girls, 4 boys. they are all such sweethearts and make me so proud from all the work they put in. It's funny because from what i've heard from the other teachers (guitar and drums) getting their lot to practise is a losing battle. And i dont mean to brag but for some reason (maybe I'm lucky to have landed 7 keen workers-us bassist do tend to be stereotypically nerdy) but It's never been a problem. However I've thought about it a lot recently and why so many people have this problem. Have to tell you its made me see the art of teaching in a total different light.

So what is the job of a teacher? well to teach their pupil using the teachers own experiences and knowledge about a specific subject in more detail than the pupil could do on their own. Seems simple enough so why is it that there are so many 'bad' teachers or so many 'bad' students? Well its the psychology that the teacher uses. A good teacher doesn't just input the knowledge like data onto a computer-human brains simply don't work that way. Instead a good teacher will find ways to make the subject so interesting that the pupil feels like they have no choice but to delve into the subject more and pursue it on a personal level. This is what makes a person practise. Its the want or need to do it that is crucial. That feeling when the penny drops is just too addictive and when shown that's easy to achieve then one will go to long lengths to get it again, again and again.

Something I noticed from looking at the way my favorite teachers at uni is that reverse psychology is also pretty effective. The teachers that do everything very formally and dont let anyone have any slack seem to also be the ones who can't control the class unless with fear. no-one reacts well to fear, so either way their job as the teacher has somewhat failed. On the other hand the teachers that make it quite clear that its not them that looks stupid if you dont practise, its you seem to have the most devoted students who work well on said subjects. They use the trust of the class and in return of their students being studious they give them interesting lessons and fun approaches. They also praise when students when appropriate. this makes a humungous difference!

The most important thing for anyone who teaches is that everyone is different. There is no one solution-you have to be prepared to improvise and change tactics in an instant. There is also no such thing as a bad student. Obviously you can have problem students but generally if a pupil isn't 'getting' what-ever it is that your trying to say you just aren't explaining it in simple enough terms. Ideally you should find a way to take it too a five year old and they will understand it and do it just as well as an adult would. If this isn't the case then go away and come back as soon as it is!! Finding likenesses to every day things such as 'finger style bass playing in the right hand is the same as walking-you wouldn't hop to the shops-so keep the fingers moving alternately' or when learning music theory finding words that have the same syllables as the rhythm length are good techniques. Lastly teaching in itself is a learning curve-it's all about listening and responding adequately. So make sure you want to learn too!!!

sorry for the essay but i just had to get it off my chest!

Chlo xxx

• Members

Good luck with teaching. It's hard to find a great teacher that's also a great musician. I studied with a teacher 15 years (I started when I was 7) and can't seem to find a new teach equally as skilled.

Whenever I'd come in unpracticed it was obvious, but instead of yelling, he would just calmly say "Let's try this again for next week" that was insulting enough and I made sure not to screw around after that!

• Members

Good luck with teaching. It's hard to find a great teacher that's also a great musician. I studied with a teacher 15 years (I started when I was 7) and can't seem to find a new teach equally as skilled.

Whenever I'd come in unpracticed it was obvious, but instead of yelling, he would just calmly say "Let's try this again for next week" that was insulting enough and I made sure not to screw around after that!

yeah this is totally what im on about. it hits home so much harder when someones nice whilst insulting you lol. hope you find one soon man!

aww thanks wander! i hope so. i love it and definately want to carry on as a carreer. its great cause ive got one kid who plays the saxaphone as well but has decided that she likes my style so much that she wants to make bass her first instrument, and another who has had a habit of giving up everything she's started.....but likes the bass loads (she's a natural too!) so wants to keep on going. its those rewards as a teacher that make me have one hell of a ego boost lol!!

• Members

Happy Anniversary to your and your mate and many more to come!
:wave:

You also seem to be very passionate about making sure that you keep your students interested in learning. To me, that's the sign of a GREAT teacher.

;)

+1 on all counts...

- georgestrings

Archived