1960s Kent bass - Worth restoring?

cameront19

• Members

So I wound up with this old Kent bass, it's in pretty rough shape... The pickguard (around the jack) has been broken, exposing the wiring, it's missing a whole tuner (key, head, everything), needs a volume knob, and it's missing the entire nut.

I know these were cheap basses back in the day, just thought it'd be nice to have something in good shape from that era.

• Members

I say go for it. You may come up with a winner. Those old 60's basses may have been ugly and hard to play, but they were all we had back then. They did sound good at the time though.

Just take your time and don't do anything non-reversible.

• Members

Alright, pics up'd

http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p9/LithiumRage158/Kent%20Bass/?albumview=grid

I noticed while taking the pictures that there are two small holes next to the bridge, one to the left, one to the right. This makes me wonder if the original bridge was removed? It seems there's alot of (crappy) homemade fixes here, and the Tone knob is definitely not original. I can't even find pictures of these things anywhere, so I don't know what model it is at all. Also can't find a serial number anywhere on the bass.

• Members

Alright, pics up'd

I noticed while taking the pictures that there are two small holes next to the bridge, one to the left, one to the right. This makes me wonder if the original bridge was removed? It seems there's alot of (crappy) homemade fixes here, and the Tone knob is definitely not original. I can't even find pictures of these things anywhere, so I don't know what model it is at all. Also can't find a serial number anywhere on the bass.

the holes next to the bridge look like they're from an ashtray or bridge cover.

• Members

What's up with the pickguard? Looks like they combined part of the original b/w/b/w pickguard with a tort p-bass pickguard. No wait!! That b/w/b/w piece is from an entirely different pickguard...I had it backwards, the tort pickguard is the original and the other is just something that they rigged to cover the hole! WOW!

You could have some serious fun restoring that! I know I certainly would! :thu:

• Members

Wow guys, your responses have really got me excited about restoring this bass... But I don't know where I should start? I wish there was some way I could get this bass to original spec, but like I said, I'm having a hard time even finding pictures of them online, much less any details about it.

• Members

Wow guys, your responses have really got me excited about restoring this bass... But I don't know where I should start? I wish there was some way I could get this bass to original spec, but like I said, I'm having a hard time even finding pictures of them online, much less any details about it.

You can get a luthier to make another pickguard. He'll need the old one. Most guitar places have a luthier that can make you one. You can buy new tuners that are close to the same, too. The pickup might just need new mounting screws, that kind of thing.

Archived