Metallica at the RNR HOF Last Night

Phantasm

• Members

Did anyone watch?

I thought it was interesting that they used two bassists. It was also very interesting to watch that they were totally different styles of player yet both fit very well into the band.

I also found myself thinking, this is a band where the bass is notoriously absent... and for their induction performance, the bass was the loudest thing in the mix.

• Members

Wow, nobody cares.

It's okay I guess, I don't even know if I care.

:lol:

I didn't watch. The R & R HOF seriously screwed the pooch of ticket availability and even then, didn't post the actual lineup. Note: Lineup does not necessarily mean inductees.

I was 30 minutes away from seeing a band that I grew up with being, inducted into a place that only has the ceremonies once every 5 years on average. It's a farce.

I'm starting to get into a zone, so I'm going to stop now.

I don't know what to say to it in regards to the bassists. Other than Cliff Burton, FTW!

• Members

I'm not surprised. They're trying to establish themselves as not-total-dickheads, and they've been slowly trying to work their reputation and likability back up for a few years now.

• Members

Didn't see it-but would have if I hadn't been working. They were such a huge impact on me musically and in my youth that I guess I'll always be a fan of theirs even if the material of the last 15+ years hasn't been stellar. I actually like Death Magnetic. No, it's not Justice or anything before it, but it's a step in the right direction, IMO.

I still feel Jason will come back...someday.

• Members

It felt like Jason had regret watching his body language and speech.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I dig Trujillo heaps. I actually feel he's overall a better player than Jason. But he feels like a hired gun with them. And jason just feels more "right" with Metallica. Like he fits in better and just "belongs" more than Trujillo. Just my thoughts...

• Members

I don't think anyone will disagree with you. Metallic is far from being at their peak, and they've replaced a member while not being terribly popular (as far as reputation) and under a lot of criticism. Of course Trujillo isn't accepted.

Even though they always treated Jason like a huge POS who didn't belong in the band, he was with them for a very long time. I'm sure everyone feels the same way, and associate him with Metallica.

• Members

I don't think anyone will disagree with you. Metallic is far from being at their peak, and they've replaced a member while not being terribly popular (as far as reputation) and under a lot of criticism. Of course Trujillo isn't accepted.

Even though they always treated Jason like a huge POS who didn't belong in the band, he was with them for a very long time. I'm sure everyone feels the same way, and associate him with Metallica.

My take is that Newsted would never get the credit from them that was due, he had to leave. Now that he has, they tout the new guy as truly being one of them... at long last they have a real bassist. :rolleyes:

Down the road, I fully expect reality to set in, they bring him back into the fold and give him the recognition he should have always gotten from them.

My early prediction... 2011, the 20 year anniversary of the Black album they call him back "for one tour only" as some historical event. Then like it so much he just never leaves.

Trujillo got a $1 million signing bonus from them. Back in the day of the Black album (Year in the life of...) there is a few times where James or Lars are being interviewed and in the background you can see Jason making sandwiches and taking them away with him for later meals because that is all he could afford.... to steal their own catering to eat later. Not right.

• Members

Me think Rob is the guy Metallica needed to add power in their music. We clearly can hear some Trujillo-ness in Death Magnetic; like for example Cyanide intro, which could be an infectious grooves thing...

Archived