New Thunderbirds vs Older ones tonally speaking

davidM

• Members

I have a 1996 TB I got off ebay a few months back, well low and behold the bass is stolen, and I'm currently making arrangements with the police and the original owner to get the bass back to him, and get reimbursed for what I paid.

I've fallen hopelessly in love with the TB, in every way. It works perfectly for what I am currently doing musically.

I was thinking about replacing the 96 TB with a new model, I'm not too keen about paying the extra money for it, but 96 had a small crack on the headstock, and I would like to know that the bass I buy hasn't been abused so badly that the head stock starts cracking. (even know gibby's seem to be famous for doing this on both guitars and basses)

So the question would there be a significant difference in tone between the 96 and an 09? I know pickups are like wine, and they get sweeter with age, is 10 years really going to make that much difference?

Sadly, A/Bing the two isn't an option, I'll need to get the new one ordered since local shops don't carry them.

• Members

On holidays, can't check the details easily, but I am fairly certain that they underwent a pup change since then to ceramics. In TB's cases, the age doesn't make the pup different (better/worse is subjective) but its actually a different type of pup entirely.

• Members

On holidays, can't check the details easily, but I am fairly certain that they underwent a pup change since then to ceramics. In TB's cases, the age doesn't make the pup different (better/worse is subjective) but its actually a different type of pup entirely.

Thank you renfield, that is a crucial piece of information, and something I was a bit afraid of.

• Members

wait... is it a holiday? i'm working today?

I am on holidays, it isn't a holiday. See the sticky at the top of page one.

Gibson should be able to tell you when things switched over, and you could probably find the info if you did some google searching for it too. I like the newer pups better myself, most people I know do, but it is purely subjective, neither sound bad at all.

• Members

I am on holidays, it isn't a holiday. See the sticky at the top of page one.

Gibson should be able to tell you when things switched over, and you could probably find the info if you did some google searching for it too. I like the newer pups better myself, most people I know do, but it is purely subjective, neither sound bad at all.

dang, that's a nice holiday!

Thanks for the input Ren, I really appreciate it... I've got some decision making to do once I get re-imbursed, new bird, used bird, or blackbird. Enjoy your travels! Perhaps some new ink should be put on the agenda... :thu:

• Members

dang, that's a nice holiday!

Thanks for the input Ren, I really appreciate it... I've got some decision making to do once I get re-imbursed, new bird, used bird, or blackbird. Enjoy your travels! Perhaps some new ink should be put on the agenda...
:thu:

Any time. If looking at used Blackbirds make sure to get a good pic of the back, or feel it for any slight imperfections in the smoothness if you have it in your hands. They had 1-2 runs where the paint didn't stick well and peeled a bit on the backs, it's why GC blew them out, they knew it was the bad run and they'd likely all do it so they dumped them before it showed on the store floors.

A dent is a dent, but if the whole bodies paint doesn't feel consistent, move on, it may be problematic down the road. Odds are it's fine as any that were going to run should have by now, but it's a buyer beware market as you just learned (and got lucky by getting your money back).

Having said that, I'd rather own a BB over any other TB. I just like the looks.

I was hoping to get some ink while out here, even staying with a tattoo artist friend, but the timing just didn't work out. Oh well, I'm sure I'll be back again.

• Members

Any time. If looking at used Blackbirds make sure to get a good pic of the back, or feel it for any slight imperfections in the smoothness if you have it in your hands. They had 1-2 runs where the paint didn't stick well and peeled a bit on the backs, it's why GC blew them out, they knew it was the bad run and they'd likely all do it so they dumped them before it showed on the store floors.

A dent is a dent, but if the whole bodies paint doesn't
feel
consistent, move on, it may be problematic down the road. Odds are it's fine as any that were going to run should have by now, but it's a buyer beware market as you just learned (and got lucky by getting your money back).

Having said that, I'd rather own a BB over any other TB. I just like the looks.

I was hoping to get some ink while out here, even staying with a tattoo artist friend, but the timing just didn't work out. Oh well, I'm sure I'll be back again.

I thought you would be a BB guy! I've heard a lot of negative things about the finish, but for a blackbird i would make an exception.

• Members

Just don't settle for an Epiphone T-bird! There is a tremendous difference between the Gibson,and the Epiphone! And I'm not an Epi hater,I just prefer the real thing when it comes to certain things.Like Thunderbird basses!!!

The Epi TB's are utter POS's. The Epi Nikki BB however is one killer bass IMO. The pups are great too. I need to do an A/B with a real Gibby to decide which pups I like better, seriously.

• Members

Just don't settle for an Epiphone T-bird! There is a tremendous difference between the Gibson,and the Epiphone! And I'm not an Epi hater,I just prefer the real thing when it comes to certain things.Like Thunderbird basses!!!

I've tried a few of them, and never been impressed. there will be no settling!

• Members

The Epi TB's are utter POS's. The Epi Nikki BB however is one killer bass IMO. The pups are great too. I need to do an A/B with a real Gibby to decide which pups I like better, seriously.

how's the build quality on the Epi?

• Members

how's the build quality on the Epi?

The one I played felt great and heavier than even the Gibby's. I tried it out of curiosity (and I owned a Gothic Epi TB as a poor mans substitute to the real BB before they came out with the Epi BB) it played and felt great acoustically so I plugged it in. Sold. I wanted one. Kicking myself for not buying it then when it was $100 less.

• Members

The one I played felt great and heavier than even the Gibby's. I tried it out of curiosity (and I owned a Gothic Epi TB as a poor mans substitute to the real BB before they came out with the Epi BB) it played and felt great acoustically so I plugged it in. Sold. I wanted one. Kicking myself for not buying it then when it was $100 less.

i think i played a gothic, and that's what put a sour taste in my mouth

• Members

How is the neck on that bass Rennie? That was the major difference to me. The Eppi has a bolt--on(which isn't so bad)except it's fatter than a log! The Gibson reverse body Thunderbird I owned in the late seventies had a neck that I've never felt since. Made a Jazz neck feel thick!!! Anyway,that is the one feature that I've always connected to the Thunderbird,and of course neck dive!!!

• Members

Hm...

My '90 Gibson T-bird has its original pups. I'm not sure if they're ceramic or whatnot, but they sound fine.

I've got a set of Mike Lull T-bird pups on order. They're supposedly exact reproductions of the original '60s T-bird pups, so once they're in the bass I can provide some comments on tone.

• Members

would definitely love to hear a review of those in comparison to factory pups.

Where did you get them from?

I ordered the pups from Mike Lull. They've been back-ordered since March 8th, but are supposed to ship this week.

I bought the T-bird used online from Action Music in 1998. I was doing a NATO deployment in Bosnia, and really wanted a bass. It arrived via APO a week after I ordered it. :D

I started modding the T-bird a few months ago. I always loved how it plays & sounds, but I've never cared for the '90s-era black hardware.

So far, it has light-weight Kluson-style nickel tuners courtesy of Hipshot, and a nickel 3-point bridge from Allparts. Once the pups and pup rings are in, I'll post pics and a review. :thu:

• Members

I ordered the pups from
Mike Lull
. They've been back-ordered since March 8th, but are supposed to ship this week.

I bought the T-bird used online from Action Music in 1998. I was doing a NATO deployment in Bosnia, and
really
wanted a bass. It arrived via APO a week after I ordered it.
:D

I started modding the T-bird a few months ago. I always loved how it plays & sounds, but I've never cared for the '90s-era black hardware.

So far, it has light-weight Kluson-style nickel tuners courtesy of Hipshot, and a nickel 3-point bridge from Allparts. Once the pups and pup rings are in, I'll post pics and a review.
:thu:

I've had a similar idea, so I eagerly await your comments.

Archived