PSA: a little different perspective on customer service

Guttermouth

• Members

in my day to day life i deal with alot of different manufacturers buying parts for repairs and builds and it always interests me to see how their perspective changes between end user and repair person service.

in general - most companies are great. most places will go out of their way to help you quickly and get you the parts you need to keep their products running with a minimum of hassle.

although - in recent years there has been a rash of companies that,essentially, don't care if their product gets fixed or not if it's out of warranty. they will have a tendency to say things like "if you're not an authorized service center we won't sell you parts" or "we don't keep those parts in stock and can't get them" etc.. etc...

and under warranty circumstances - this is understandable.

they don't want to be held resposible for some random repair guys' work.

when something is out of warranty ,though this should not be the case.

right now - i have a certain guitar amp here that is extremely popular with heavy bands and has been in production for years. this particular amp is out of warranty and needs a proprietary part. it would take about 10 minutes to fix this amp if i had the part in hand. so far this is how my exchange with the company has been :

" hi i need to speak with someone in parts please."

"ok sir - hold"

" hi, this is douchenozzle_____" "what can i help you with today?"

" i need to get a circuit board for said amp - this one is burned up and there is nothing left to solder to to make the repair"

"isn't it something you could send in and have our repair techs do?"

" sure - if they've got a circuit board"

" well. we don't keep those in stock and if we did we wouldn't sell one to you"

"why not? "

" you're not an authorized service center"

" umm ... ok. so i should just tell this customer to ship this 75 pound amp to california for 10 minutes worth of work?"

"well.... is there any way you can send me a picture?"

" yeah, i guess"

" just send me a picture and i'll forward it to our techs and we will call you back" ( this company really likes to "call you back". i've never gotten a callback when they've said this).

so....

where i stand right now - i'm sitting on this customer's amp for absolutely no reason other than the company wants the repair fees on this amp.if this company used better quality circuitboards and components in the first place - this would not be an issue.

pic of said board :

burnedboard.jpg

if this company doesn't call back in 24 hours i will be outing them.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hmmm... not sure who it is. I'm interested to hear though.

I was thinking Peavey first but then they're not in California and their customer service is top notch. My brother had a part on the circuit board of his old VTM 120 melt and Peavey sent him a couple of free ones. The amp was about 15 years old at that stage.

• Moderators

Let us know if you don't get a call back. Based upon that one line, I'm 99.99% sure which company you're talking about, as I had the same experience. I wouldn't be holding my breath. I fully expect an outing come tomorrow.

• Members

I say out them right now. I'd be interested in hearing of all the companies that make it difficult to fix their {censored} personally.

Yep, Call them out. I have been though this as well with computer parts. (Compaq)

It's total BS! :mad:

• Members

Let us know if you don't get a call back. Based upon that one line, I'm 99.99% sure which company you're talking about, as I had the same experience. I wouldn't be holding my breath. I fully expect an outing come tomorrow.

i will do :thu:

it is completely possible that i am too old school or expecting too much or whatever but, i can say, if someone spent almost 2 grand on anything i make i would be bending over backwards to help them out from now on.just because something you make is "out of warranty" doesn't mean a damn thing in my eyes.

• Members

Hmmm... not sure who it is. I'm interested to hear though.

I was thinking Peavey first but then they're not in California and their customer service is top notch. My brother had a part on the circuit board of his old VTM 120 melt and Peavey sent him a couple of free ones. The amp was about 15 years old at that stage.

peavey was fantastic before they downsized. that being said - even since then, i've gotten someone on the phone every time i've called and they've done their best to get me what i needed in a timely fashion and never acted as if their time was worth more than mine.

• Members

I hate getting repair parts for anything. Basically if you live in NO and your amp breaks, you're going to have to buy another one because there is really nowhere that can fix it in a timely manner.

I've got an Ampeg B2R that won't turn on the fan to cool itself for this very reason.

• Members

It doesn't look like it would be
that
hard to recreate the burned part of the board with wire, if it has to come to that.

it's do-able but, the whole rest of the amp depends on this board for juice and there would be 4 solder junctions that would have to be made to the replacement wire as well as the junctions from the wire to the traces.

there are 14 tubes in this thing (plus the various other switching matrixes, loop drivers etc..) and i know i would not feel comfortable playing gigs with it knowing that a dab of glue is the deciding factor in the amp working or being a smoke factory :)

• Moderators
Here are the clues, amp company out of California, model popular with the heavier music crowd, $2k being the cost of the amp, 14 tubes in said amp, I will go with WillSellOut and guess Mesa as well

It's not a matter of getting the clues. It's a matter of not getting excited about the name of the company until they are outed by the OP. Otherwise it's nothing but rumor and gossip. ;)

Archived