What the heck Ibanez BTB is this...??

Bbbumpy

• Members

It said on the tag, about 4 or 5 years ago, that it's a BTB600. But it only has three knobs, one of which is a concentric dealy-bopper, and it has Bartolinis at a slant.

Whut up? Was it only in production for a short time? I remember that the gal at the music store gave me a good deal because they were discontinuing this version...

Plus, the 1/4" jack has a great locking mechanism.

• Members

Yessirree, Bob. Just put in a 9v in the back. I like the simplicity of the knob layout. Hardly ever played this; it was in with "other stuff" from a recent move. Sold the Fender Mexibass just today; suddenly realized that the Ibanez has SO much more richness and definition.

Thanks for the info. I guess it an early-release version of the 600, then maybe they found that the concentric knob wasn't that popular.

-Russell

• Members

I agree that it looks like a BTB-300, but there have been several versions of the BTB. Notably, the 300 is a 34" scale whereas most other BTBs are 35". Also, satin-finish silver knobs; bubinga top. Ibanez-branded pickups.

The knobs are volume in front; then, pan pickups front to back; and concentric 2 band EQ in the rear. Very responsive EQ and the guitar sounds very good IMO for being the bottom-of-the-line.

The BTB 600 came with mk-1 humbuckers.

I think what you have here is a BTB 300 that got upgraded with Barts.

--

I'm not sure though. Ibanez sometimes take liberties with instrument naming.

• Members

Sounds like a BTB300 to me. That locking jack is a Neutrik jack. Bloody good idea, but can be a pain in the arse sometimes when you need to change guitars quickly!

I still forget about mine, the Jack is pretty much fucked now cause I've tried to pull it out so many times and forgotten the lock :D

• Members

Thanks, guys! Very helpful.

BTW, I'm so in love with this bass. I walked into the store wanting a Fender J-Bass, because I felt tonally restricted by the single pickup on the P that I had. Also wanted a more Rickenbacker-ish tone...without coughing up more than a grand. Seems I got my cake and ate it, too- as I can dial in a pretty nice Rick tone on this plank.

Archived