Ampeg B-15 N? R? S? B-12x?

raygunn

• Members

Ok so I'm wanting to downgrade from carying around an 8x10 and amp rackmount etc...

i want to get a portaflex of some kind... after reading up about them it seems that sometimes the older vintage ones (i love vintage...) dont always have enough power... so i was thinking maybe the B-15r... (if i can find one)

does anyone own any of these amps?

let me know what you think of them...

also i have seen twice before the B-12x and it seems like it would be a beauty... but everyone seems to use it for guitar... does anyone have one of these or has anyone played one with a bass? i couldnt find out how much power they have... or if they aren't good for live bass...

thanks so much

• Members

I'm not really looking to replace the sound of the 810... It's way too much for what we're doing these days... I use to be in a rock and roll band (think mc5 meets the who) now I'm doing more Americana style stuff... (think the band or neil youngish) but right now I've got the 810 with a svt 3 pro and sans amp... And it's just way too much... I'm wanting to go more in the directon of a tube amp. And I've heard nothing but positive things about the tone of these... I played one a few years back (I don't recall the model) and fell in love... But upon further research found out alot about the other models... So mostly I'm wanting to know about experiences with a live band (on combo amps... Fenders and gibsons and sometimes with acoustics) etc...

• Members

I have the SB-12, and it indeed makes a better guitar/harmonica amp than it does a bass amp.

I love my SB12, I've been recording through it almost exclusively of late.

A B25 through a single 15 cab would probably be less expensive to acquire than a decent running B15 - they're going around a grand at this point.

• Members

I love my SB12, I've been recording through it almost exclusively of late.

are you recording bass or guitar through it?

i think I've pretty much ruled out the b12 (whats the difference between a b12 and sb12?)

well i just seem to love the design and look of the b15/b12s for what i'm doing these days... and like i said the one i played sounded like a dream... anyone on here really use a b-15 right now as a bass amp? I've also played the b25 and do like them... i have a friend that has one of those so i may end up picking one of those up eventually, also i have a friend who wants to get rid of a V-4...

but right now I'm leaning more towards a portaflex of some sort... for this project anyway... i have over a grand saved up for this now... so I know and am prepared for the price. and i believe it will be enough power (the b-15r for sure) I'm just wondering about the others....

• Members

are you recording bass or guitar through it?

i think I've pretty much ruled out the b12 (whats the difference between a b12 and sb12?)

I don't know the b12. Mine looks like a b15, but has less power and obviously a 12" instead of 15". I record bass through it, but with only about 25 watts it can't keep up with a hard hitting drummer...I either use it in an isolated room or re-record a live DI track through it.

• Members

Well, I just picked up a B15N and love it. I'm pleased. Used to play them a lot back in the day. Those and B18N's.

If you're looking for a good all-around amp, but for less than arena sized gigs, this may be the ticket. You CAN add a cab. But you'll still only be a 60 or 75 watt combo.

• Members

I've never owned a tube bass amp so I'm not sure what you're gonna need for power... the reissue b-15r is a 100watt or 60watt... i assume the 100watt will be enough for what I'm doing... but will the 60watt? if so i could get one of the B-15s amps and be alright with the 60 watts of power it puts out.

anyone have any experience with bass through one of those b-12x style cabs with the ext. speaker for tremolo and reverb? they are 50watts... and I'm very intrigued by them.

Archived