I checked out that Spector Pro Legend 5 a little more Saturday.....

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

It had a bad bad setup.....first two frets were virtually unplayable. Look like the neck had some back bow.

I asked if they could adjust the truss rod.....and they did......looked like the truss rod was EXTREMELY tight. It also made loud squeeking noises when they adjusted it.

The neck is also very sensitive to me pushing or pulling on the neck.

Both of those things are enough to scare me away.

• Members

You can find a better model.

My Legend 5 was actually new off the G.C. floor and didn't require adjustments/intonating at all.

It's a nice bass....in all respects. Just not what I'm looking for.

I think the dip that traded it into the shop {censored}ed with it too much and didn't know what they were doing. Which also makes me nervous.......how much more did they tighten the truss rod? :idk:

After I helped them adjust it to my liking, it played pretty good......the saddles were bottomed out though......couldn't get the higher strings low enough. Strike 3.

I'm going to upgrade my Jazz, and keep an eye out for a Lakland, Musicman, or a new MTD Heir (active).

• Members

After I helped them adjust it to my liking, it played pretty good......the saddles were bottomed out though......couldn't get the higher strings low enough. Strike 3.

the bass needed a neck shim and the previous owner tried to fix the issue with the truss rod.

i agree with staying away from that instrument.

• Members

the bass needed a neck shim and the previous owner tried to fix the issue with the truss rod.

i agree with staying away from that instrument.

The part that was most annoying....is that, me....the customer had to come in and tell them to tweak the damn thing. Otherwise they had it hanging on the way in unplayable condition. WTF? :idk:

• Members

Played that Heir a LOT Friday afternoon.

It's a very comfy bass, very good sound. Stay away from that Z, the simpler wood selection and big fat humbucker at the bridge gives it a very aggro attack, but can play smooth to the touch. The Z is just too damn fancy for its own good. "Look at all these fancy woods!" Yeah yeah sure sure but it's a bright, harsh tone with no sustain because all those counteracting woods and extra glue {censored} with the body's resonation.

Simple and effective is very underrated when it comes to these big-name builders. If they build good looking PLAIN basses that play with perfection, I'd invest!

• Members
The part that was most annoying....is that, me....the customer had to come in and tell them to tweak the damn thing. Otherwise they had it hanging on the way in unplayable condition. WTF?
:idk:

Yeah they don't really adjust them outa the box, which to me is stupid because most people won't buy a mal-adjusted bass. Nothing like that first impression! However, my GC will setup a new bass for a song if you purchase the bass.
Spector should add the graphite bars on the Legend 5-stringers to help stabilize them. My Euro rarely needs adjusting but my old NS2000/4 did so I can see the Legend 5 having a problem.

• Members
The part that was most annoying....is that, me....the customer had to come in and tell them to tweak the damn thing. Otherwise they had it hanging on the way in unplayable condition. WTF?
:idk:

you might have been the first person to actually play the bass at that store.

• Members

you might have been the first person to actually play the bass at that store.

It was a used bass. :o

I've offered to work in the shop for minimum wage....just doing odd jobs, cleaning, setting up gutars, and taking out the trash one weekend day a week.....but they haven't taken me up on the deal yet.

• Members
It was a used bass.
:o

its still true tho, you could have been the first person in that store to play that bass.

the only time someone ever actually played an instrument i was trading in or selling was at music go round, a second hand instrument place that sells everything for way too much money.

when i traded my telecaster for my first bass they didnt even take it out of the case until sometime after i left the shop.

• Members

The Z is just too damn fancy for its own good. "Look at all these fancy woods!" Yeah yeah sure sure but it's a bright, harsh tone with no sustain because all those counteracting woods and extra glue {censored} with the body's resonation.

wat

This is nonsensical.

• Members
It had a bad bad setup.....first two frets were virtually unplayable. Look like the neck had some back bow.

I asked if they could adjust the truss rod.....and they did......looked like the truss rod was EXTREMELY tight. It also made loud squeeking noises when they adjusted it.

The neck is also very sensitive to me pushing or pulling on the neck.

Both of those things are enough to scare me away.

So let me get this straight-the neck had backbow, and they were tightening the truss rod?

:facepalm:

• Members

sound lousy, I still think you should look for a Rebop

We'll see.......I think I need to examine/test/experiment with a few more active basses before I can continue. I'm not sure they're my thing yet.

I did contact Spector and they said you can convert the preamp to 18v....and you can also install EMG active pickups without further modification.

• Members
Someone did.....I had them loosen it.
:o

When they loosened it....it looked like it was tight....hard to turn.....and made funny noises.

Yikes. Thanks for clarifying.

I've found that truss rods usually only make funky noises when they're too tight and/or being stressed, so I wasn't sure what adjustment they were making.

• Moderators

Exactly.....so I was worried that it may be close to maxing out the truss rod. Which doesn't sound like a good thing....when buying a new instrument.

The proper adjustment would have been away from the "maxed" out point. So that itself wouldn't have been a concern.

• Members

You've done it?
:D

No, my drill chuck is too big.:cry:

When I worked at the guitar shop, a guy brought in a Fender that he had used a cordless drill to tighten the truss rod. He was under the impression that tightening it was the only way to eliminate fret buzz, because the buzzing was actually the neck wood vibrating from lack of compression.:facepalm: He was dismayed that the buzzing actually got worse with increased "compression".
C7

Archived