Anyone know how to wire my my Jazz in series?

Cliff Fiscal

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"is this the passive american standard V? try this first: wire the stock pickups in series, instead of the normal parallel. your B will all of a sudden be deep and powerful, instead of twangy and lacking like it is now."

-from talkbass.

Ok, so they are telling you to wire it in Series.

I don't have a link for you, but someone one here uploaded a Schematic for me last year for Jazz wired in Series. I'll have a look....

• Members

I replaced the tone control in one of my jazzes with a series parallel switch. It's a cool mod & makes a difference in the sound, but it still seems weird to switch back and forth & go from two volumes to one.

I wonder if it's possible to wire it up with a volume knob, blend knob and series/parallel switch?

• Members

When you wire the pickups in series, you only have
one pickup
using two coils so you can only have one volume.

+1 on both accounts.

You can't have two volumes while in series - both the pickups are acting as one big fat super-pickup.

• Members

So why not encourage me to try it, instead of being so negative?

im not at all sure why some of the more established bass forum d00des give you a hard time. in this situation i think kindness is just being kindness in going about saying something in a not so obvious way but its not the first time ive seen someone give you {censored} for no reason.

anyway, let us know how you like the new wiring scheme if you decide to use it. i wouldnt mind trying it on my fretless jazz bass.

• Members

I don't really care.....since I'm used to "OJ responses"....just thought a moderator would have something a little more worth while to say, or at least know when to not to post.

Actually, I usually get bashed for lots of posts in a very little time or asking n00b questions or acting like a n00b.

All of which are true. I do have a lot of posts in a short amount of time. What can I say about posting at work, and being based in OJ....:idk:

Noob questions? Sure fires a lot of people up......well, either the thread sinks or it's an instant troll thread. I just sift through the posts and dig out the bits of knowledge and try to go from there. Most of the time I do it on purpose.....mostly to get pure information, originating from the beginning....the root of the subject. Plus, my internet forum "thing" is gear slut and acting stupid. So I suppose I should be prepared for the hate. :wave:

Anywho, I'm going to give the series wiring tomorrow night. I'll let you all know. If it sounds good, I'm sure I'll do the push/pull series/parallel switching....sounds like the smartest thing to do.

• Members

the guys here are so cliquey it's past being funny. I like a J Bass in series, it sounds more like a P type tone, louder and less thin than one wired in parallel. If you decide to do it I'd say wire it to a push/pull pot so you retain the original tones from the bass.

• Members

Well, I was bored....and awake....so I just did the switcheroo.

You all know what it sounds like in parallel.

In series, like Grankor said.....is very P bass-ish.....punchy as {censored}....but retaining some of that standard J bass tone. It is much darker in the high end....but a lot fatter in the low mids.

Again, I agree with Grankor......push/pull pot is the only way to go. I have rehearsal Thursday.....so we'll see how it sounds.....before I buy a push/pull pot.

If you want P bass tones....get a P basses....but if you want both do the push pull series parallel mod. :thu:

Series/Parallel diagram

• Moderators

So why not encourage me to try it, instead of being so negative?

Why encourage you to do something you don't know whether you will like or not like? My point is you need to experience this stuff. Grab a series wired bass and give it a run. If you can't find one, rewire yours. I said NOTHING negative about you or your question.

Your question "does a Jazz sound good wired in series?" is the equivalent of asking "does roast beef taste good on a sandwich?" It's idiotic. However, the majority of posts on this forum are idiotic and off topic. You're one up on all of those.

If you don't find my input useful, you don't have to take it. I offer it free and you get what you pay for. :idea:

Archived