Your favorite rock/metal bands bass TONE and their rig?!

Mikey Fresh

• Members

Trying to figure out what bands are using what gear!

Anybody know what Bullet for my Valentine's bass player uses?

a couple of my favorite bass tones are..

John Moyer (Disturbed) I believe he uses Kustom amps and Traben basses.

Tobin (Papa Roach) Ampeg amps and Lakland basses.

Name any of your favorites??

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

James Lomenzo of Megadeth uses an Ashdown rig, and alternates between Warwick and Fender basses. Steve Harris uses a fully custom-built amp setup and of course, his Fender bass.

A large proportion of metal bassists use Ampeg.

etc. etc.

• Members

Jeff Caxide of Isis has some of the best, both distorted and clean tones i have ever heard... he uses a Musicman Stingray for most part, but he also uses a Sage totally costum made bass at times... he plays them through a big pedalboard and a vintage Ampeg 8x10 stack:

[YOUTUBE]6Qz8e7pgy_Y[/YOUTUBE]

Steve Harris of Iron Maiden... Telecaster bass, and costum modified Marshall amps, i believe:

[YOUTUBE]c2H_ygk5hJI[/YOUTUBE]

Andreas Johansson of Cult of Luna... i have no idea about what rig he plays though, but he uses Fender Jazz basses:

[YOUTUBE]ZGuTuOeUrTI[/YOUTUBE]

Dave Edwardson of Neurosis... he plays through a vintage Ampeg 8x10 stack (i believe so, at least), through some effects, i believe, and he uses lots of basses... a Lakland Skyline, Ibanez Roadster (not sure about this one), Peavey T-40, a Squier P-Bass, among others:

[YOUTUBE]DsV2AbV3ghI[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Mike Inez on Ozzy's No More Tears album. Mr. Tinkertrain. THAT's {censored}in DEEP.

Cliff Burton on Kill Em All. The Four Horsemen. That's {censored}in GROWL.

John Myung on Awake. The Mirror. That's a {censored}in B string!

• Members

Mike Inez on Ozzy's No More Tears album. Mr. Tinkertrain. THAT's {censored}in DEEP.

Cliff Burton on Kill Em All. The Four Horsemen. That's {censored}in GROWL.

John Myung on Awake. The Mirror. That's a {censored}in B string!

Spector and Ampeg

Not Sure.

Tung Basses. (I think).

All great sounds.

• Members

Jack Gibson from Exodus (also a yammy player)

DD Verni from Overkill (has played pretty much BC Rich forever-I've seen him with several models).

Rex Brown (best recorded metal bass tones ever, IMO. If memory serves me, he's used everything from Charvel, to Stingray, to Spector)

As much as I dig Harris as a player and an influence in metal in general, there's nothing quite as bland and vanilla-sounding to my ears than the sound of a p-bass. Underwhelmed would be how I feel when playing/hearing them.

• Members

John Moyer (Disturbed) I believe he uses Kustom amps and Traben basses.

His new signature basses from Traben sound and look absolutely killer-plenty of growl. Or, um...so I've heard. ;)

And the thing is, hardly anyone will try them because a) he's the bassist from Disturbed b) It's a signature instrument c) it's a Traben, etc.

• Members

Tonewise:

Justin of Tool

The guy from Breaking Benjamin (Warwicks detuned a few steps... drool!)

Rex from Pantera (the ultimate Spector sound, but I still love ya Daisley!), but not so much with Down

Inez when he was with Ozzy

Pete (or Joe?) from Chevelle, their second "white" album

• Members

My favorite tones are probably from Ryan Martini. I know he uses an SVTII pro and Warwick Thumb basses. Of course I think a lot of his tone is how he tunes and how/where he plays.

Dan

Ryan's tone on their first album was sick, but yeah I think a lot of it was the tunings and his attack.

I think it was like GCGCE or something. He'd talk about all the intonation problems they had while recording "LD 50" in interviews. I think they play in C now or something.

• Members

Ryan's tone on their first album was sick, but yeah I think a lot of it was the tunings and his attack.

I think it was like GCGCE or something. He'd talk about all the intonation problems they had while recording "LD 50" in interviews. I think they play in C now or something.

I always thought the tone on LD 50 was pretty terrible. Different sure, but for me it lacked fundemental, too much top end.

His tone on the DVD though :love: I'm pretty sure SVT CL.

• Members

I always thought the tone on LD 50 was pretty terrible. Different sure, but for me it lacked fundemental, too much top end.

His tone on the DVD though
:love:
I'm pretty sure SVT CL.

I thought they were pretty similar, TBH! :idk:

I'm pretty sure it was the 2-Pro... ;)

Archived