Thinking about taking the frets out of a Yamaha John Myung bass

Unalaska

• Members

I've had the RBXJM6 (?) for a few years now and it's a pretty good bass. Nice solid focused low end, decent top end, has a nice variety of pickup settings. The bridge had to be replaced since it was missing parts when I bought it, the fret ends are sharp and hanging over the fretboard just a bit on both sides; it would prolly hurt if I baseball bat gripped while I play but I don't. So it needs fret work...

Well I'd jonesin' for a good fretless. And, well, tax season means I can't really drop some big bux on a nice fretless. This bass would be a great fretless I think but 2 things bug me: the fretboard is not the usual rosewood, i dunno what it is. And doI fill the fret slots with something other then wood filler. Oh yeah, do I refinish the board (I'd have to right?)

any thoughts...?

(I'm usually on the live-sound board but lurk here occasionally. I play bass for a living and run a small sound co, basses are my tools but this bass has been collecting dust becoming more unplayable as it sits)

• Members

What's wrong with wood filler. I put some in my bass years ago . Not one single problem with it.

My neck is rosewood. And I put no finish over it. Do you have any idea what your board may be?

You could slot in some Veneers like Solder junkie did..

My wood filler neck;

DSC01433.jpg

OK I didn't do the best job at taking out the frets , but i was 18 at the time and did not have the interwebs to research it

• Members

but 2 things bug me: the fretboard is not the usual rosewood, i dunno what it is. And doI fill the fret slots with something other then wood filler. Oh yeah, do I refinish the board (I'd have to right?)

1. It's ebony...very common in basses. It's harder and denser than rosewood...so it should make for a nice fretless board...

2. Wood filler would work just fine. It's the easiest thing to work with. No reason to refinish it either if you do a decent (clean) job pulling the frets and putting in filler.

Would I do it to that bass? {censored} no. If you really didn't want it, sell it and buy something else. Those are getting hard to find and a lot of people do want them. If I were in the market for a new bass I'd think about taking it myself...

• Members

if you do a decent (clean) job pulling the frets and putting in filler.

That was a dig at me wasn't it :lol:

Yeah I have since seen that if you put masking tape either side of the fret .Once the fret is out, if any wood chips break off you can put a bit of PVA in then lay the tape back down so the chip goes back in place:rolleyes:

wish I had have known

• Members

That was a dig at me wasn't it
:lol:
Yeah I have since seen that if you put masking tape either side of the fret .Once the fret is out, if any wood chips break off you can put a bit of PVA in then lay the tape back down so the chip goes back in place:rolleyes:

wish I had have known

No! Not at all!!! I swear!

I think yours looks pretty clean though...especially for how many times you've knocked it and said what a {censored}ty job you did.

• Members

Well it needs work for sure, the frets are hanging off the sides. It's a nice bass for sure but becoming less playable due to those frets. I prolly should sell it, I'm really looking for a tobias toby 6 fretless but those are really uncommon. I've been playing 6 string exclusively for about 12+ years now, playing anything else is like a toy. It's like trying to play missing fingers.

Archived