How would you clean this grill cloth?

bassman1956

• Members

250209948-2.jpg

1974 B15N

Original cloth, dirthy, with stains, but no tears and in good physical shape. I'd hate to replace it. Doesn't look like the grill is removable as a panel. If not removable, this would mean I'd need to clean it in place.

Any oxy-type spray-on carpet/upholstery cleaners that would work well?

• Members

250209948-2.jpg

1974 B15N

Original cloth, dirthy, with stains, but no tears and in good physical shape. I'd hate to replace it. Doesn't look like the grill is removable as a panel. If not removable, this would mean I'd need to clean it in place.

Any oxy-type spray-on carpet/upholstery cleaners that would work well?

If the grill comes off, I use 409 and blast it with the hose being careful not to soak the wood. If not, I replace it.

• Members

Most cloth grills have a frame that is secured by velcro or similar from the front or possibly screws from the back.

My old Ampeg from high school had a rigid plastic snap-lock system that was like a cross between velcro, a zipper, and a plastic brush.

If the stretcher frame is plywood, it should be less likely to warp.

If so, I'd use a plastic brush, 409 and a hose.

Once it's clean, dry it by hand wth a towel then block it down so it doesn't warp as it dries.

My experience is that wood warps and stains most when it is wet unevenly.

If it's soaked evenly and blocked it tends to dry without stains.

• Members

Most cloth grills have a frame that is secured by velcro or similar from the front or possibly screws from the back.

My old Ampeg from high school had a rigid plastic snap-lock system that was like a cross between velcro, a zipper, and a plastic brush.

If the stretcher frame is plywood, it should be less likely to warp.

If so, I'd use a plastic brush, 409 and a hose.

Once it's clean, dry it by hand wth a towel then block it down so it doesn't warp as it dries.

My experience is that wood warps and stains most when it is wet unevenly.

If it's soaked evenly and blocked it tends to dry without stains.

Thanks. Will look into this. Whatever it might be is a far cry stronger than just velcro. It's pretty solid in there.

• Members

Thanks. Will look into this. Whatever it might be is a far cry stronger than just velcro. It's pretty solid in there.

Mine was a newer vintage solid state model, but it was still pretty old in 1982.

It took quite a bit of effort to remove the grill and made quite a "pop" when it released.

I was the kind of kid who took everything apart, so when I found no other way into the cabinet, I started prying at the frame with a screwdriver in the corners where I found resistance.

When the first corner popped it scared the crap out of me...:eek::lol::cool:

That said, since this is a collectible vintage piece, I'd suggest you wait to hear from someone who knows for sure!

• CMS Author

I did. Only screws are for the framework in the corners. Doesn't look like it would do more than loosen up the cabinet.

If it doesn't have screws from inside, then it's got the plastic old-skool 'velcro' mounting. I've used a tool called a hose pick to do this. Slide it in the gap between the grill cloth and the Tolex, and turn the pick so it slides under the grill frame. One good tug will 'pop' a corner, and repeat at each corner. The frames and grill are sturdy stuff, so don't be scared.

Once you have the assembly removed, it's fairly easy to carefully remove the cloth from the frame to either clean or replace. I'd consider replacing it and the tolex unless you want to keep this a collectible item.

• Members

Get the foam Woolite carpet cleaner in the spray can. Spray the foam onto a damp sponge and rub the foam on the grill cloth. You don't want to spray it on because some will go through the grill cloth and get on the speaker cone. Rub it on the entire grill cloth so one part is not noticeable cleaner than the rest. Allow the foam to dry and vacuum it off. Re-apply as necessary.

• Members

First off, you won't need to soak it down. Soak a sponge in whatever cleaner you want to use (I've been using this stuff called Awesome... never has a product name been more appropriate!) and just swab the sponge onto the grill. Then, a scrub brush to work it into the weaving. Then, rinse just with a clean wet sponge, same way you washed it. Let the wet sponge soak up the filth, don't get the grill soaked.

• Members

Thanks for the tips on popping the grill, guys. I have some great carpet cleaners, so since those were suggested, I'll give them a good try before replacement.

To Craigv, most tolex and paint on it otherwise is easily cleanable and repairable. If I redo the cloth, and then the cab tolex, I'll need to pop the amp apart to freshen the paint on it, etc. I'm not after something that looks brand new, just clean. Old and in good shape with a few battle scars matches me perfectly. I could rehab it all, and someday I may, but right now that's not my aim.

• Members

I've used industrial carpet foam cleaner. I let it soak in, then took a steamer to one side while using a shop vac on the other side. After it dried, I used the shop vac again. Sounds odd, I know, but it worked! I used this method to clean an old Fender silver grill clothe that had years of spills and stains.

• CMS Author

Old and in good shape with a few battle scars matches me perfectly. I could rehab it all, and someday I may, but right now that's not my aim.

Sounds good to me...just laying out all the options. The rig would definitely be worth more in original, if not perfect, condition than if renewed.

Archived