Cable Comments: PO'd, but kinda my fault

RSBro

• Members

I've been using the same 2 Monster Bass 500 cables the last 6-7 years, easy. I never bothered replacing them b/c I bought once, never have had to replace either, and never really had a reason til now.

Ever since I got my Titan, I've always had to "push" a little more and wiggle the ends of the cable into the input. I was like "Ok, the amp is sorta new, no biggie." I haven't had this experience on prior amps (except maybe one but I don't recall which) so didn't think twice about it.

So I'm playing just with a regular 10' cable I have laying around from Pro Cables 'N Sound, and boom- it just goes RIGHT in. No wiggling, no herky-jerky stuff, just in there and it's set. Pulls out easy without any forcing, which is how it should be.

I'd heard Monster purposefully puts bigger barrel connectors on their stuff, but didn't really see/believe it enough to get worried until now.

Todd @ PCNS has an order coming his way... I would go with Butch @ Bayou but he's backed up and not taking orders besides what's in stock so Todd gets my repeat business, yet again.

Anyway, thought I'd share.

:)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What made you decide to go back to being shackled?

I didn't gig regularly since I guess October 2007 until January of this year?

So I needed $$$ to buy the basses I wasn't using b/c I was only playing at church 30 mins a week... ;)

We're talking about it though. But we all want to do it if we decide to go that route.

• Members

I'm using CBI cables. They don't kink nearly as much as other cables and come with Switchcraft connectors.

I tried an unbalanced instrument cable from Audiopile.net which typically has very good products but found it kinked up too easily and I was always unwinding it. When the CBI connectors go bad I'll take the Audiopile connectors off and put them on the CBI cable.

I use a 15' cable or shorter with my passive Jazz. Any longer seems to load up the pickup too much.

• Members

I'm convinced that Monster puts bigger ends on the cables to "stretch out" the jacks on your instrument so that you can't use other cables. I've personally seen this happen to a friend of mine. He used all monster cables on one guitar, and now they are the only ones that will reliably make contact. Utter crap in my book....

• Members

I'm convinced that Monster puts bigger ends on the cables to "stretch out" the jacks on your instrument so that you can't use other cables. I've personally seen this happen to a friend of mine. He used all monster cables on one guitar, and now they are the only ones that will reliably make contact. Utter crap in my book....

I will swear that a monster cable I used to use did this to my Schecter C-1 Hellraiser. My mogami is kind of loose in the jack compared to ultra tight monster. I think monster has penis envy or something....

• Members

Planet Waves, with the push-button circuit breaker in the connectors. LOVE it. It's a perfect mute switch as you change basses. Plus, their sleeves aren't oversized, they're flanged to hold snug and tight.

PW-AGRA-20

20' Circuit Breaker 1/4" Instrument Cable w/ Right Angle

Or, do the Cable Station method, and get one right-angle circuit breaker, and one plain straight. Then the cable lays flat against the body of your bass and gives you the mute switch, and you tuck it over your strap.

Oh, and yes, these things ROCK for wireless transmitter leads as well.

• Members

I will swear that a monster cable I used to use did this to my Schecter C-1 Hellraiser. My mogami is kind of loose in the jack compared to ultra tight monster. I think monster has penis envy or something....

Once you use a Monster cable, that jack will be perma{censored}ed for any normal-diameter plug. Monster plugs will permanently stretch out your jacks. Some guitars that have open-body 1/4" jacks, you can kinda bend the tabs tighter to hold the plug in place, but the sleeve connection will still always be compromised.

• Members

A number of us did. The Monster plugs were the exact same size within a thousandth of an inch.

So are my other cables smaller then? I mean I've tried a few of them now and the Monster is the only one I have to force and wiggle to get into the input.

• Members

Found pictures, shows how the sleeve is flanged to hold snug in jacks that have been abused by Monster products:

247109.jpg224566.jpg

This right-angle plug is so nice. I swear by this sucker. My bandmates always ask to use this when they "forget" their cables. Heh heh.

• Members

A number of us did. The Monster plugs were the exact same size within a thousandth of an inch.

Right. I'm thinking that there must be something to the Monster cable jack stretching thing. I wonder if their cables are just plain heavier and as a result cause more stress on the jack.

• Members

Right. I'm thinking that there must be something to the Monster cable jack stretching thing. I wonder if their cables are just plain heavier and as a result cause more stress on the jack.

that could be it, as I have heard the same thing from random people all over the country about monster cables stretching out their jacks...

• Members

My issue (as of like, yesterday) has simply been even getting it INTO the input jack. I always wrap/hang my cable on my rack or amp to where there's no stress/pull on the input.

I have a newer model also that I haven't tried though. The one I regularly use is an older model b/c it's not as "plasticky" as the newer one. I will try the newer one and see if it gives me the same hiccups.

• Members

Speaking of which...I just bought a half dozen unbalanced instrument patch cables from Audiopile.net for my pedalboard.
:thu:
I'm going to Bayou to replace my MonsterBass cables next month.

Don't ask what speaker cable I'm giving serious consideration to.
:D

I was going to give Butch a shot but again as of 4/9/09 he hasn't been taking orders (per his site) for anything not already completed and in stock.

• Members

I have to think that something is happening, but the scientific evidence provided by team Chicago cannot be denied.

There is clearly something different going on with Monster plugs, but it isn't the plug diameter.

Strange as hell I have to say.

I know I'm not going crazy as 1. other people all over experience this and 2. after almost 11 years of playing, I think or would hope I could be able to tell the difference. :)

• Members

Perhaps ten-thousandths is where the difference lies?

I have heard the Monster-Cables-are-tighter subject many times over the years, as well.

Archived