Humidifier for electric basses?

funkadelic musicman

• Members

Does anyone use any kind of humidification on their electric basses?

I just had a bass ruined by leaving on a guitar stand for a few months in the winter and not touching it at all, in my overheated apartment. The result was the wood drying out, and the neck completely shifted.

I bought some planet waves humidifiers that go inside a hardshell case today, because im freaked out about my other basses get damaged. but im thinking that it might be pointless to humidify them in their cases over the spring/summer because it will be plenty hot and humid outside (its already getting hot outside).

what do you guys do in the summer time for this? should I even worry about it?

• Members

I've never had a need for a humidifier, but your climate may be more extreme. /understatement. You may want to have one, but be wary of quick changes in humidity. I understand that humidity changes is the big enemy more than temperature. There's collectors over at Ricresource that have rooms dedicated to instruments. One may chime in there with a specific answer.

• Moderators

I use humidifiers for me and my double bass. My electric basses get the spillover benefit. I keep the house at 40% or higher year round (I keep a hygrometer in the instrument room to monitor it as well). Even still, the humidifiers will be put away soon, not to make a come back until next winter.

Archived