Explain Tips

Phantasm

• Members

Okay, other than music I have never worked in the service industry at all. I have worked in sales where there was commission, sideline consulting where there was a rate discussed and salaried work.

For the band sometimes we receive tips and we just split them equally among the band.

This lead me to wonder, how are tips handled for each type of service job? For example:

1) My waitress gives me great service so I tip her 20% or more. Does she actually get this money, does she have to split it, or does she "tip out" to other staff?

2) I give the concierge/valet a few bucks for good directions or getting my car. Does he get to keep all of it for going the extra mile?

3) The person who cuts my hair, if she's nice and good at conversation I tip her. Does she get to keep it all?

4) My bartender has great personality and she's hot. She makes a damn good drink. I tip her $20 because she's taken care of me all night... does she get to keep that whole $20 or does she have to share it?

To all of you who have worked in the service industry, if any of these apply to you, can you give me an idea of what happens once I give you gratuity for going that extra mile for me?

• Members

For #1, it kinda depends on the restaurant (from my experience at my current job). The company that I do accounting for has a tip share system, where they all pool their tips.

#2 I think is the same, it all depends. I worked as a security guard, and a few times I got to do valet, and we pooled them. I am pretty sure that there are places that don't pool them.

Thats all I know about it.

• Members

For #1, it kinda depends on the restaurant (from my experience at my current job). The company that I do accounting for has a tip share system, where they all pool their tips.

#2 I think is the same, it all depends. I worked as a security guard, and a few times I got to do valet, and we pooled them. I am pretty sure that there are places that don't pool them.

Thats all I know about it.

To me, this isn't fair because the slackers who draw no tips leech off the ones who provide excellent customer service. It makes less of an incentive to try.

When I was on commission, I knew that if I sold you something I would make $X and sometimes $XX or $XXX. I was highly motivated to do a good job and sell you the right thing, especially if it meant $XXX.

If I would have had to pool my commission, things would have got hot fast when someone was drawing a check to sit there and do nothing while I hustled.

• Members

I understand how much to tip a server, but what about a tattoo artist? I feel like I should because I get great work, but on something costing hundreds of dollars per session, it seems excessive to me to tip 15% or more. Or is it that I am just being cheap? It does take 4+ hours after all.

A friend is an artist and she gabbed at length about one that gave her a bottle of booze at the end of a long piece (multiple sittings), and how cool it was to get. The booze was nothing special, she doesn't even drink and it was only a $26 bottle based on it's size. So suddenly my $20-30 tips (per sitting) seem fair or generous. I just don't know what to do.

• Members

To me, this isn't fair because the slackers who draw no tips leech off the ones who provide excellent customer service. It makes less of an incentive to try.

My feelings exactly. I think they do it for tax reasons (i.e. easier to keep track of/report :idk:)

But yeah, when I tip someone at a restaurant, I am tipping/not tipping them (depending on the service), not someone else.

• Members

I understand how much to tip a server, but what about a tattoo artist? I feel like I should because I get great work, but on something costing hundreds of dollars
per
session, it seems excessive to me to tip 15% or more. Or is it that I am just being cheap? It does take 4+ hours after all.

A friend is an artist and she gabbed at length about one that gave her a bottle of booze at the end of a long piece (multiple sittings), and how cool it was to get. The booze was nothing special, she doesn't even drink and it was only a $26 bottle based on it's size. So suddenly my $20-30 tips seem fair or generous. I just don't know what to do.

That makes it sound like they don't get tips very much... I'd think this is to be expected. Art isn't usually tipped, it's purchased - and that's what the hundreds of dollars are for. (I could be wrong, of course.)

There's a cigar shop local that I really like the staff, so I've been directing people I know who smoke to this shop. These are guys that will buy a box of cigars if they like them and the service is nice, so regularly this can turn the numbers for the store if they are buying really expensive boxes. My guy at the store always says thanks and either slides me a few on the way out or on my next visit. I guess no matter what I do, I'm still a salesman at heart, working on commission!

• Members

When I delivered pizzas, whatever I got in tips was mine...and mine alone. I didn't have to share it with anyone.

Did you get tipped well? If I get my pizza in under 45 I tip very well, but usually it takes 1-1.5 hours to get a pizza here. By then I'm pissed and I don't give them anything!

• Members

Did you get tipped well? If I get my pizza in under 45 I tip very well, but usually it takes 1-1.5 hours to get a pizza here. By then I'm pissed and I don't give them anything!

It was about 14 years ago that I was doing it. Back then, a good tip was considered to be a buck and the change. Some people tipped that...some gave more...some gave less. On average it came out to be about $1.50 per delivery. It was nice. Most of our deliveries were under 30 minutes, but we had a pretty small delivery area. There was one night that I kicked major ass on tips though...there was a foot of snow on the ground and none of the other drivers could get to work...so I was the only one working. Our delivery times that night were upwards of 2 hours. People were giving good tips simply because I brought them hot pizza with the weather as nasty as it was. I made about $13/hour that night (tips, comp and wage).

• Members

Which is why it usually takes so long to get your pizza. :cop:

• Members

I tip for good service. Depending on the amount of money I have, I go 15% for basic actions. Less than basic, decent service, you get no tip. 20% if I can hack it and you've been really good. 30% if you're nice but not intrusive and have done your job the best that can be expected, and, again, if I can put it up.

If I'm at a diner and having coffee, I expect my cup to be filled six times. (haha) Really, though. The waitress at a waffle house bitched at me, openly, because I only left her a buck fifty. I was like, I ordered hashbrowns, toast, a coke, and a cup of coffee. We've been here an hour and a half. You've had no customers. I should have gotten my refills. Instead, I'm leaving your establishment parched. I'm gonna use the rest of your tip to buy myself a soda.

The day before? I bought 2AM breakfast for two buddies of mine and tipped her 15 bucks(they also pitched in about 6 dollars, so that's a good haul, I'd say). Sure, it was a "rare occasion" with me. I had just gotten paid for a little "handy-job" I did for my landlady. Way to ruin a good thing. I haven't went back to that establishment.

Even though he embarrassed me, I tipped the chef at a local sushi bar, because we had a HUGE order. (As an aside, what the {censored} is up with people asking you if you KNOW how much you ORDERED? Why wouldn't I know? Did I put question marks next to the numbers on my menu slip? No. Do your job.)

I think the "standard" tip is 15%, and I think at MOST places, they get to keep their tips. That's the only way those jobs are "worthwhile."

That said, I don't have a job, so money is tight when I do have any, so tipping is as much a luxury as being whereever I'm spending money. I ate at a pizza place today and tipped 10%. That's all I could afford and the service was average. :idk:

• Members

I know bars and diners often have "house rules" about keeping or splitting tips.

And from what I know of either, if you personally place it in their hands, it's theirs.

I have heard this before... so if I get great service, I need to personally put the money in my server's hands to make sure they don't have to share it?

• Members

It's unlikely that the tips you give are pooled nowadays. Some places, maybe.

I worked at a very nice restaurant in college, and we pooled tips every night. You're correct, it's not fair. The best waiters left the restaurant each night with a lot less money than they had made individually. A place like that creates a lot of capitalists. :)

• Members

I always feel strange leaving a tip on the table and walking away. I feel that someone (small kid, another worker, etc.) could just pick it up and keep walking and the waiter/waitress/server/whatever will get nothing. I usually wait an extra sixty seconds to witness that the right person picks it up.

Remember the "potential tip pile" from 3rd Rock from the Sun? :p

Archived