OT: Computer Folks, How Often Do You Reinstall Your OS?

hawkhuff

• Members

I've read that a Windows PC occasionally has to have the crap buildup blown out of the system (erased) and to do this you re-format the HDD and do a clean install of the OS. I do this about every two years.

I'm certain it depends on what your PC activities are but does anyone do this?

If so, how often?

• Members

The general "rule" back in Win 95 / 98 days was that if you used it fairly heavily, six months was a good timeframe to back up your stuff and reinstall. Nowadays, with OSes as stable as they are, it's really not necessary until the computer starts to slow down... and even then, just stick some more RAM in the computer and you'll probably fix the issue anyway.

XP and Vista's memory allocation is light years beyond the old OSes.

• Members

I used to do it every 6 months or so, if not more often. Now it's onl when something major happens (lots of upgrades/new build, questionable programs screwing up the OS, etc).

I would guess maybe once every 12-18 months now. Nowadays, as long as you're not installing a bunch of stupid stuff, you can keep it running for several years without much issue.

• Members

Only when I can't fix whatever problem is happening. Since I don't download sketchy programs off the net, or do a lot of downloading in general, I find that OS X pretty much never needs to be reinstalled just to clear up the junk.

But that's probably because I don't need to clear out the junk because I try to be careful about getting junk in the first place. I would assume the same holds true for PCs.

• Members

I lost a hard drive back in 2005, right in the middle of a job search. I had backups and got up and running in short time.

Last year my work laptop hard drive starting losing it - that lasted a little over two years. We had other hard drive losses at work.

Backups are the key to quick restore. The rule of hard drive is not if they fail, it is when they fail. They WILL fail and you have to be prepared.

• Members

Once or twice a year with Win95, 98 and Me.

Since XP and then Vista, never.

I actually re-installed Vista 2 weeks ago because my HDD went belly up. It had been installed for a 1/2 years, since I borrowed it and didn't show any bad behavior.

Archived