Doh!!! Moment of the week!

Funkee1

• Members

So I had my bass set up for the first time in a long time about a month ago. It felt a little too low for me, and I couldn't figure out WTF was wrong. I was going to take it back and have him redo it, since he offers a 90 day warranty.

Well, Saturday night, I noticed the back pickup was touching the strings, particularly on the B side. Couple of tweaks with a screwdriver and voila!!!

Bass is back!!!!! Three turns with a screwdriver, and the bass is better than ever!!!

Moral of the story.....look really closely after someone sets up your bass, or learn to do it yourself!

• Members

Buy a good stainless steel ruler, like an 18" or 24" scale.

Buy good wrenches that match your truss rod and saddle set screws.

Buy a set of thickness gauges.

Learn how to intonate strings, and WHY you intonate them.

Learn how much space you want between your strings and frets, and paint/mark your thickness gauges so you always know.

Write your desired measurements and spacings on the inside surface of your control cavity's cover plate so you never lose that information.

Always give your fretboard a quick shot of lemon or linseed oil when changing strings. Thoroughly clean the fretboard and re-oil at least once a year, more often if you play a lot on that bass and see some buildup beside the frets.

Archived