Let's talk effects pedals

In Absentia

• Members

Alright, now that I got the rig out of the way, I'd like to work on a pedal board. I want to get a good flanger, chorus, filter effect, synth, and a few fuzz pedals. Let me here about your experiences with different pedals and what your favorites are and what pedals do I need to stay away from.

• Members

For fuzz/disto pedals, I haven't found anything I've loved. Tried ODB3 & it's too zingy. Big Muff sounds decent with P and Soaps, but not enough low end with a J (I play a J), Ibanez PD7 is probably the "best" I've played, but I still didn't love it.

Really the best fuzz/disto I've heard is through the Mo Bass head.

• Members

For fuzz/disto pedals, I haven't found anything I've loved. Tried ODB3 & it's too zingy. Big Muff sounds decent with P and Soaps, but not enough low end with a J (I play a J), Ibanez PD7 is probably the "best" I've played, but I still didn't love it.

Really the best fuzz/disto I've heard is through the Mo Bass head.

I've got a great distortion sound out of the Titan V12, but I'm looking for a more aggressive fuzzy sound.

• Members

I actually used to have a BF-2 for guitar. I haven't tried either, but can't seem to lay my hands on one.

I really like my BF-2 on bass. I've always loved the flange tone on 46 & 2, and that's the pedal that makes it...

I know that 3tch uses a BF-2B and he thinks it's way better than the BF-2.

• Members

Oh...and for Chorus...the Voodoo Lab Analog Chorus is very good. I think 3tch uses that as well...

I'd love to try out a Red Witch Analog Chorus...I'm not buying one right now though.

I'm looking at the Carl Martin Bass Chorus, but I'll take a look at that one as well.

• Members

I've got a Guttermouth Destruction Device in to a Boss Delay into my amp. I mostly use the overdrive channel if I need some grit, but the Guttermouth is nasty. I've tried a handful of overdrive/fuzz/grit boxes and his have impressed me the most.

Yo.

• Members

Fuzz / Distortion - I use a custom made Guttermouth dealie (Ghashnum Ob-Mor!) which I love. It is pretty much exactly what I want in a fuzz. Really, give Ian a call - he WILL come up with something that works for you. I also use a Keeley modded Boss DS-1, which I'm reasonably happy with for some situations.

Chorus - I use a Boss CEB-3. It's decent enough. I actually like the effect I get out it of the majority of the time and it's good quality. Most of the time I'm using a fairly light chorus and in this situation it works fine. Every once in a while I want a much heavier "effect", and at these times the CEB-3 comes up a bit short. All in all though, I'm okay with it.

I know you haven't listed one as an option, but you should look into a wah pedal too. The Dunlop Bass Crybaby is excellent.

Also, an octaver is nice to have. The new MXR Bass Octave Deluxe is really sweet.

Archived