OT Possibly a stupid question about importing dvds...

Xuf

• Members

I use itunes to import cds, but how the hell do you pop in a dvd and import the dvd chapters as video files? I've looked thru all my applications and there doesnt seem to be one... It seems like it should be pretty easy to do, but for some reason my imac doesnt want to import dvds lol Do I have to buy a software that does that?

Is this a stupid question?? :confused:

• Members

It depends on the type of file you want to finished rip to be, but I find that Handbrake works for most situations. I also use MactheRipper, but that just gives you the Video_TS and Audio_TS folders which may not be all that useful depending on what you are trying to do.

• Members

Just be careful kids. Under the Digital Millenium laws, DVDs do not have the same "fair use" protections as CDs and other forms of media, ie, there is no protection for making a copy for personal use. Most of the time though, as long as you just have a local copy, no one will bug you, but if you put it on a file share or ther distribution network, it is illegal. Just sayin.. :)

• Members

Just be careful kids. Under the Digital Millenium laws, DVDs do not have the same "fair use" protections as CDs and other forms of media, ie, there is no protection for making a copy for personal use. Most of the time though, as long as you just have a local copy, no one will bug you, but if you put it on a file share or ther distribution network, it is illegal. Just sayin..
:)

My intention is to rip my DVD's that aren't region 1 so I can burn them onto a disc and watch on my normal DVD player. I have no intentions of file sharing at all, I just want to watch some music DVD's I bought of a Japanese band where it's not available in my region otherwise.

• Members

Just be careful kids. Under the Digital Millenium laws, DVDs do not have the same "fair use" protections as CDs and other forms of media, ie, there is no protection for making a copy for personal use. Most of the time though, as long as you just have a local copy, no one will bug you, but if you put it on a file share or ther distribution network, it is illegal. Just sayin..
:)

ooh yes. we are strictly talking "backup copies" here. :cop:

Archived