Let's talk...(Offensive Beer Content)

Thrustin

• Members

I seemed to upset a certain Irishman with my categorization of Guinness as a light beer. I have a feeling there are more of you out there that were upset as well.

LightBeer.jpg

The truth is, is that Guinness is light. It is light on calories. It is also light on alcohol.

You may enjoy drinking Guinness. That's fine. I won't contest the enjoyment you, individually get from it's consumption.

Here we go.

Guinness has 125 calories per 12 oz. serving.

Here is a list of beer that has more.

Budweiser 143

Natural Ice 176

Blatz 153

Killians 162

Pabst 153

Miller High Life 143

And just for fun

Sierra Nevada Stout 225

Here's an interesting one

Sam Adams Light 124 (only 1 calorie less than Guinness)

How about alcohol?

Guinness 4.1 - 4.3% (4.27 in Ireland)

Budweiser 5.0

Blatz 4.86

Busch 4.6

Bell's Expedition Stout 10.0:thu:

Coors Original 5.0

Corona 4.6

Foster's 5.1

Killian's 4.9

Sam Adams Lager - 4.8

Pabst - 5.0

Old Milwaukee - 5.0

Michelob - 5.0

Michelob Light - 4.3

Sierra Nevada Sierra Nevada Pale Ale 5.7

Sierra Nevada Sierra Nevada Porter 5.7

Sierra Nevada Sierra Nevada Stout 6.4

Sierra Nevada Sierra Nevada Wheat 4.7 (Even a wheat has more alcohol)

Sierra Nevada Sierra Nevada Summerfest 4.9

Sierra Nevada Sierra Nevada Celebration 6.6

Sierra Nevada Sierra Nevada Bigfoot 9.9

Stone Brewing Arrogant Bastard Ale 7.2

Stone Brewing Stone Pale Ale 5.4

Stone Brewing Stone Smoked Porter 5.9

Stone Brewing Stone IPA 6.9

Stone Brewing Ruination IPA 7.7

Stone Brewing Double Bastard Ale 10

Stone Brewing Stone Old Guardian 9.9

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

:confused:

So...

I'm not supposed o drink Guinness because it has fewer calories, which means I won't get quite as fat from drinking Budweiser...

And, since it has a lower alcohol content, I can drink more of it without 1) getting blasted and 2) running the risk of popping a DUI...

And Guinness tastes better than many of the beers you mention...

Your point would be?

:poke:

• Members

:confused:

So...

I'm not supposed o drink Guinness because it has fewer calories, which means I won't get quite as fat from drinking Budweiser...

And, since it has a lower alcohol content, I can drink more of it without 1) getting blasted and 2) running the risk of popping a DUI...

And Guinness tastes better than many of the beers you mention...

Your point would be?

:poke:

I say that Guinness is a light beer. That is all. I got called out for that in another thread. I am here presenting my case.

I am not saying that you shouldn't drink it. I'm not saying that it is bad beer. I just think that there is a misconception that Guinness is some sort of big gnarley beer that big boys drink. When, in reality it is on the lighter side of available brewed concoctions.

That's it. Enjoy Guinness.

• Members
I seemed to upset a certain Irishman with my categorization of Guinness as a light beer...The truth is, is that Guinness is light. It is light on calories. It is also light on alcohol.

I'm with you. I've given up trying to convince people that Guiness is actually a relatively low-carb, low-calorie, low-alcohol beer. The facts are clear, but people don't want to believe them. This is yet another reason to love Guiness!

• Members

For starters, some of those "beers" that you name are nothing more than piss. I'm lookin' at the "king" and the other mountain pee one.

Guinness Draught may have a lower alcohol & calorie content but it does not sacrifice taste like these other light beers. It tastes great! With some of these light beers you may as well be drinking water! (or pee) :rolleyes:

Now, just because my dinner may have been half or a third of the calories of yours it doesn't mean that mine was a "light" dinner or a "diet" dinner or whatever crap. It just means that you guys over in the US just go ridiculous with food and calories. "UUhh dude, I'm not eating that 'cos it doesn't have enough calories"

Guinness Foreign Extra Stout is the oldest recipe still brewed today (the Draught is from 70's I think?). The extra stout is 7.5% ABV and 175 calories per 12 fl oz (jeez... get with the metric system! :rolleyes:). Definitely not a light beer!

• Members

For starters, some of those "beers" that you name are nothing more than piss. I'm lookin' at the "king" and the other mountain pee one.

Guinness Draught may have a lower alcohol & calorie content but it does not sacrifice taste like these other light beers. It tastes great! With some of these light beers you may as well be drinking water! (or pee)
:rolleyes:

Now, just because my dinner may have been half or a third of the calories of yours it doesn't mean that mine was a "light" dinner or a "diet" dinner or whatever crap. It just means that you guys over in the US just go ridiculous with food and calories. "UUhh dude, I'm not eating that 'cos it doesn't have enough calories"

Guinness Foreign Extra Stout is the oldest recipe still brewed today (the Draught is from 70's I think?). The extra stout is 7.5% ABV and 175 calories per 12 fl oz (jeez... get with the metric system!
:rolleyes:
). Definitely not a light beer!

First off, I didn't call Guinness any mean names.

Second, are saying we are a bit indulgent with food over here?

There may indeed be a Guinness recipe out there that is 7.5% and 175 calories. It probably tastes good. Most Guinness drinkers over here would touch it. I imagine the same to be true in your neck of the woods as well.

• Members

Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA = 20.5% ABV

Binny's had four behind the counter and I had to snag one before it would be eons before I could get another. I had it over the weekend. :thu:

As for light beer, whatever, I'm gonna get fat and die anyway, might as well be happy doing it.

• Members

Binny's had four behind the counter and I had to snag one before it would be eons before I could get another. I had it over the weekend.
:thu:

As for light beer, whatever, I'm gonna get fat and die anyway, might as well be happy doing it.

My local still has some 120, and I still haven't opened mine.

• Members

Binny's had four behind the counter and I had to snag one before it would be eons before I could get another. I had it over the weekend.
:thu:

I agree. When it comes to beer, get somethin' serious.

I also see cheap beer as having a place too.

Archived