Happy Earth Day!

Thumper

• Members

Think I'll plant some poppies in honor of the occasion!

Honest!

Family heirlooms, not sure what, but as straight as southern Lutherens as my mom's family is, you can bet they aren't magical. Already have some from Mom's place back home, found it really seems to take 2 years to get them established. So, if I till the soil and seed it tonight, I may get them sprouting greens this year, will add some seed next year, and should have blooms then from this year's plant. Don't think I'll get blooms this year, but hey, you never know!

• Members

Australia's pre-eminent academic geologist, Prof Ian Plimer says what warming we saw until a decade ago was not unusual, not dangerous and most likely caused mainly by solar activity. What's more, temperatures now seem to be falling.

Other researchers had given yet another reason to doubt.

The University of NSW Climate Change Research Centre has now found that our Big Dry is not unusual and not caused by global warming (as the Government insists), announcing: "The causes of southeastern Australia's longest, most severe and damaging droughts have been discovered, with the surprise finding that they originate far away in the Indian Ocean.

"A team of Australian scientists has detailed for the first time how a phenomenon known as the Indian Ocean Dipole - a variable and irregular cycle of warming and cooling of ocean water - dictates whether moisture-bearing winds are carried across the southern half of Australia."

Archived