Dano 63 Bridge

A-20

• Members

Just got a Dano 63' reissue long scale bass in via ups. The bridge does not contact the body of the bass except by three screws. What I mean is, when viewing across the body you can see daylight between the bridge and the body, with the three screws holding it on. There is 1/8 space at the single screw [toward body of bass] and 1/4" of space below the neck side of the bridge. You can see that a bit of paint has raised around two of the three screws which hold the bridge on.

First thought is that this means it has lifted - but I've never had a Dano so want to confirm before sending it back. It plays.

Looks like the adjustments for height are on each saddle, so I would think this bridge should sit flush with the body.

Is this the problem it appears to be?

• Members

It is normal for this bridge not to be in contact with the body.

It's because it was designed as a direct replacement for the original Dano bridge with the single wooden saddle. The 3 screws were all you had to adjust action.

Img1471.gif

Contact with the body isn't really important anyway, since the Dano is a hollow body bass with a very thin top. Paint is really cheap so it's not really surprising that it lifts a bit around screws.

• Members

Sure, it's the bridge ground wire. You can screw down the bridge a bit more if you wish.

Don't force it though or you will rip through the delicate masonite top.

Danelectros aren't meant to be perfectly constructed in the first place.

• Members

Sure, it's the bridge ground wire. You can screw down the bridge a bit more if you wish.

Don't force it though or you will rip through the delicate masonite top.

Danelectros aren't meant to be perfectly constructed in the first place.

Does anyone out there actually own a working Dano 63' reissue bass? If this is a defect I wouldn't want to "live with it". - it's brand new. Pictures of the Guitar show the bridge flat against the body on MF website. Can't get any close ups of the bass like that. Action is high at the neck, so much so that an over tightened truss rod with bow back still plays without buzzing any. Also the saddles are flat against the bridge so it is possible the whole thing should be the way you would expect a bridge to be.

• Members

Here is a picture of a typical Dano bridge and how it should look.

You should be able to adjust low action on a Danelectro if you wish using the regular basic ways : truss rod, shimming if needed, saddle height.

Well, that is pretty close to what we have here. It is the bridge with individual saddles, but the plate spacing off the body is similar to that picture. I have seen the new guitar bridges right down on the body though... perhaps the bass is different.

Thanks a lot -

Sure appreciate the input from everyone -

• Members

Jazzy knows what he's talking about. :cop:

Danos were the cheapest entry level instruments available back in their day. Sears sold them! The engineering is marginal.

Somewhere along the line it was commonly realized that even this magnificently cheap instrument had a sound and integrity all its own, and they became sought after...despite the anomalies.

If you want a modernized, improved version - get a Jerry Jones.

I think it's kind of cool that the reissues have reproduced every quirky, shitty thing about them.

Archived