Bassists as frontmen

Caulk Rocket

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In Mayer's defence ({censored} I can't believe I am defending him) he is WAY better at the guitar then Wentz is at bass

In the context of ({censored}ty) mainstream music, bassists aren't supposed to play the same role as a lead guitarist. He probably wouldn't shred on the bass even if he could.

• Members

Winger was a great, albeit ultra-cheesy, 80's hair band. Reb Beach is a phenomenal guitarist.

I'll echo the sentiments of this thread concerning John Mayer. Although his voice is super annoying and his vocals and lyrics in "Your Body Is A Wonderland" make me want to vomit, the guy can play a mean guitar. Some of his acoustic stuff is very, very good. Mark Hoppus, whether you like him or not (I certainly don't), is not a technically adept player.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Lemmy yet. He is the ultimate bassist/frontman.

• Members

That reminds me: Tom Araya

1237089484438_f.jpg

Tom f'ing rules. Almost 20 years and probably 300 bands later and Slayer is still the best live band I've ever seen. The time before last I saw them, they opened with South of Heaven and afterward the crowd was going so nuts that Tom had to stop mid-sentence and look over the crowd and smile. Totally ruled to see someone like that still get happy at the roar of a crowd. I seriously love that band. :thu:

• Members

Hey Caulk, nice to see you over here.

I don't even listen to anything newer than about the year 2000. Fukkit.

There's so much stuff still behind us to get caught up on, could take the rest of my lifetime.

The ADHD generation at the wheel... doesn't seem to amount to much. But then again, I'm almost 40, that might have something to do with my attitudes towards current music.

Archived