Mesa PH610 vs PH1200/1000

squish_man24

• Members

So I have the chance to sell my Ashdown cabs and pick up either a Mesa Powerhouse 610, a Powerhouse 1200 or a Powerhouse 1000

Can anyone tell me the differences between the 1200 and 1000?

Which would you pick? and why?

Anyone with experience with these cabs is welcome...

The only thing I don't want to hear is suggestions on other company cabs (ie... if u like mesa you should check out genz benz etc etc :p) as I have my heart set on one of these Mesa cabs.

I'd be using it in the music on the myspace link in my sig, so if that factors into your suggestion, there is your link

Let me know what you guys think!

• Members

I voted for the 610 - that's what I play, and I had my choice between it and the 1000 for the same price when I bought mine - the 610 smoked the 1000... louder, and handled the low B WAY better - besides having better lows, AND better highs... Furthermore - I did a gig with another band this past winter whose bassist had a 1000 - since they were the opener, he agreed to use my cab instead of his... afterwards, he told me he wished he'd gotten the 610 instead of the 1000...

- georgestrings

• Members

I voted for the 610 - that's what I play, and I had my choice between it and the 1000 for the same price when I bought mine - the 610 smoked the 1000... louder, and handled the low B WAY better - besides having better lows, AND better highs... Furthermore - I did a gig with another band this past winter whose bassist had a 1000 - since they were the opener, he agreed to use my cab instead of his... afterwards, he told me he wished he'd gotten the 610 instead of the 1000...

- georgestrings

Well that's good to know, I have a chance to buy a 610 for about $300 less than the 1000, so that just adds to the likelihood of me buying a 610

How is the cab for weight and movability and all that sort of stuff?

• Members

IIRC, there really isn't much diff in the 1000 or 1200. Maybe it has to do with certain upgrades, but they're basically the same cab- the 410+115, ya?

I haven't played the 1000/1200, but it's the only Mesa cab that seems to have some "issues". Not everyone can do the multiple-sized driver design well, and that could just be their shortcoming.

I of course recommend the 412 (:thu::thu::thu:) but if you can nab the 610, that probably would be my second choice from what Mesa offers currently.

• Members

My friend has a very early road-ready version of the Powerhouse 1000. It just plain sucks. He can't afford anything new right now, but his fender 15" combo sounds better than his stage rig. Oh well.... we'll get him a 610 soon enough.

Or perhaps that 412!!!

• Members

Well that's good to know, I have a chance to buy a 610 for about $300 less than the 1000, so that just adds to the likelihood of me buying a 610

How is the cab for weight and movability and all that sort of stuff?

AFAIK, it's one of the heavier 610s on the market, weighing in at 134lbs - but other than dead lifting, it's pretty easy to move: it rolls quite easily with the top handles and tilt-back type casters, and loading it into my truck isn't all that difficult by using the rear glide rails... Lifting it up on a stage *should* be a two man project - but if you're in a band, it shouldn't be a big deal to get someone to help you hoist it up there... In my band, the guitarist and I help each other with our cabs, and that works out well...

I've been gigging mine for about 4 months now, and I'm definitely keeping it - as a stand alone, it's gotta be one of the best on the market... I can't imagine a band situation that would require more cab, and it sounds great...

- georgestrings

• Members

nice, thanks guys.. I'll see how much money I can grab from my ashdowns and go from there. I have $250 right now from selling my guitar.. but we'll see how much I have by the end of the summer from working, getting money from bdays and the parents and work.

So far the 610 is the cheaper of all of the cabs, AND there is one in stock at Steves in Toronto so we'll see what happens...

Keep the comments coming though, I'd like to see what others have to say

• Members

And to those who were mentioning the 412, I feel that the cab is too big for my tastes and vehicle. I'd definitely like to try it out but if they had it in a smaller version which had the same sound and features etc I'd be all over it probably, but my little car can't handle the full 412

I've heard a lot of people like the 610 over the 810, any reason why that might be?

THIS is the tone I'm really getting after, I'm pretty sure the guy uses a PJ through an SVT or something, but I'm convinced the Mesa 400+ and PH cabs are going to be tight enough to get me this kind of tone... I know it's a bad quality but, it's better than nothing:

[YOUTUBE]ujiktm9MWP4[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I moved mine, the head, my bass, and my {censored} for the weekend in a Chevy Cobalt. What kind of car do you have?

Currently I don't have one and my band mates aren't any more usefull, all with small cars that barely fit a 410 in the trunk/doors...

I MIGHT be able to get my parents van once in a while, but moving the stuff back to school, I will not have enough room to bring everything I need if I have a 412

• Members

Currently I don't have one and my band mates aren't any more usefull, all with small cars that barely fit a 410 in the trunk/doors...

I MIGHT be able to get my parents van once in a while, but moving the stuff back to school, I will not have enough room to bring everything I need if I have a 412

Gotcha. I'd still say snag the 610,

• Members

nice... any particular reason why? vs the 1200/1000? better sonically etc etc?

I actually never liked the sound out of the 1200 or 1000. Sound very muddy to these ears. The 6x10 thumps, and feels like the clarity and punch are better. I love Mesa's 10s anyways. I'm gonna run an 8x10 with my 4x12 once I get cash again.

Archived