Working Out

collinwho

• Members

Are there any hot chicks at your gym? it may boost your spirit to choose the machine behind theirs for a round of cardio and ass-looking.... I'm just sayin'

The workout will boost endorphins, as mentioned, but cannot break through the dark cloud of depression, unless you let it. As touchy-feely-granola as it might sound, you might want to incorporate some stretching/yoga with concentrated breathing into your weekly regimen. Focusing on something other than your immediate negative thoughts (ass-looking, or your breathing) can help the bad thoughts float to a different part of your brain/psyche..?

I lost almost 20 pounds, which helps boost mood! then I went on vacation, gained 5 or so (and a lot of bad eating habits) back.... I finally got to the gym again today, and I'm going to remain on the straight-and-narrow as far as my eating goes...

Hope it gets better for you!

• Members

Thanks. It's almost there. I mean I can sorta play bass again and I'm starting to work out again so that's cool. I just know that if I fall on it or brace myself slamming into the boards, It's hosed.

Totally sucked too. I was leading the league in points through 3 games (13 pts) & had one 6 point game... 5 goals, 1 assist. It was ridiculous & I have no idea how or why it was happening.

Sounds like somebody needs to move up to the next division. :lol:

The Huntsville league has started their playoffs - we won 3-2 Sunday. Next week we'll be playing the other team that won last week. It's a double-elimination format, so the winner of that game will get a week off (which sucks - who wants a week off?!?) while the loser plays the other one-loss team to see who gets to face off against the undefeated team for the championship. I have high hopes. We have a good team. I didn't get any points in the last game but I had a good screen set up for the first goal and won most of my faceoffs, so I call it a good game.

If I lost about thirty pounds I'd be so much faster on the ice that my game would improve dramatically. :facepalm: I need to start getting more cardio. Playing two or three times a week isn't enough by itself.

• Members

It sounds like you might be suffering from acute anxiety. The self-guided technique I've linked below can be very helpful and therapeutic - some of my fellow clinicians whom I have a great deal of respect for swear by it. It's deceptively simple and doesn't take long. Even though it requires some practice to realize its full therapeutic potential, I'm told it doesn't take long to learn how to perform it properly and reap the benefits. I'm sure there are plenty of books and references available. In your case, I imagine a technique like this could be very helpful if performed before your workout.

Progressive Muscle Relaxation information page

Progressive Muscle Relaxation wikipedia entry

Good luck. :)

• Members

Ha ha. I was so pumped and proud to have made it back to the gym, now I'm awake at almost 1AM, in unbearable discomfort.. seems I have aggravated an injury to my c-6 (lower neck) vertebrae... I can only hope this doesn't last as long as last time...

Not really pain, but severe discomfort in my lower neck and, if I allow it to get worse, numbness in my thumb and index finger on my right hand...

• Members

I suffer from depression. For me, I have been in and out of counseling, take medicine, and do stuff that makes me feel good.

For workouts, I jog and run. I enjoy being outside and run around my neighborhood. I have built up to do 24 minutes to 30 minutes straight. I have done 5ks. These build lots of statisfaction.

For me, I am a believer in all things spritiual too. I read christian, buddist, self help books on depression. Meditation is a practice that helps me too. Part is realizing more about how I REACT to stressors rather then how stressors make me REACT.

To be honest, I am going through tough times these days, divorce, adjusting to new son at the same time. Even though I might have it bad, its bad right now and will pass.

Also, find creative outlets. For me, playing music with people or music is cathartic as running.

To me it sounds like you may be suffering from a situational depression. Me too.

Just keep moving forward one day at a time and keep talking about stuff. :thu:

• Members

To me it sounds like you may be suffering from a situational depression.

This very well may be true, or was true. I've actually been much better as of late. Seems my only down times lately are right after I exercise/work out, but even that is getting milder.

Archived