Working Out

collinwho

• Members

I've recently started going to the gym. I've been going for about 5 weeks now, and I honestly feel like I am in better shape. So that is good.

This is what I don't get: It is not secret that I have been down lately. All my friends are aware of it, and I've mentioned it on here, too. One suggestion that I hear all the time is to exercise. Maybe it is just me, but I honestly felt better before going to the gym. I mean, my body feels good (or sore, but a good sore), but all the things going through my head just seem amplified after I go to the gym. What is it about exercise that makes people feel better? Why isn't it working for me?

• Members

I mean, my body feels good (or sore, but a good sore), but all the things going through my head just seem amplified after I go to the gym. What is it about exercise that makes people feel better? Why isn't it working for me?

You're getting keyed up from the exercise and letting your mind wander to the bad places. Try contemplating the bad things while you work out, and then focus your energy on relaxing and thinking about positive things afterwards.

C7

• Members

It doesn't help that when you're at the gym all the hot, buff guys tend to give other people low self esteem :D

You're getting keyed up from the exercise and letting your mind wander to the bad places. Try contemplating the bad things
while
you work out, and then focus your energy on relaxing and thinking about positive things afterwards.

C7

Good start. When I was at the peak of my working out phase, I always felt a lot more confident, which contributed to my happiness.

• Members

Working out is great, but you're alone. Have you tried any league-style sports like soccer, basketball, hockey... etc? It's a two-fer-one, cuz you get a good workout, and you get to bond with people and make new friends. After hockey I'm always amped out, like when I just finished a really great gig. Great feeling and mentally in a good place.

• Members

Working out is great, but you're alone. Have you tried any league-style sports like soccer, basketball, hockey... etc? It's a two-fer-one, cuz you get a good workout,
and
you get to bond with people and make new friends. After hockey I'm always amped out, like when I just finished a really great gig. Great feeling and mentally in a good place.

Hockey rules. I haven't been able to play since breaking my hand in Feb & will miss the upcoming league because it's still not 100%. Sucks. Won't be able to play again until August.

• Members

Working out is great, but you're alone. Have you tried any league-style sports like soccer, basketball, hockey... etc? It's a two-fer-one, cuz you get a good workout,
and
you get to bond with people and make new friends. After hockey I'm always amped out, like when I just finished a really great gig. Great feeling and mentally in a good place.

Rugby FTW.

You'll never meet a nicer, more fun, group of people than on a Rugby team.

• Members

Then you've got nothing to be depressed about, bro!
:thu:

Keep it up!

Actually, I've been turning things around lately, I was more just surprised that the gym wasn't really contributing to that. I am pretty happy that I've been able to commit to it pretty well for the past few weeks, hopefully I can make it a real habit and stay in shape for a while.

• Members

Could be a chemical imbalance. I think I suffer from that when I work out. I try to workout as much as possible, but if I get sick or injured, I'll take a week to a month off. One thing I always notice when I start back up is how much more easily agitated I can become. Every dilemma would turn into the end of the world. Then there's mood swings, acne (I'm 32 for crying out loud). It's kind of like 'roid rage without the steroids.

I had the flu about 5 weeks ago, and recently started working out again. This time I adjusted my weights/reps for a more aerobic workout, compared to building muscle (have a vacation coming up next month). Since then, I've remained pretty mellow, and I even sleep better.

• Members

More muscle produces more testosterone, you could be feeling those effects. If you work out too much you can actually do some damage to your system as well, especially if you aren't supplementing.

I recently went on a huge gain stage (for me) where I was lifting heavy 6 days a week and after a month my body collapsed in on itself. I got pretty sick and had to take about 2 weeks off. My immune system actually crashed. This had never happened before but I'm finding that as I'm getting older my body just can't handle extremes anymore.

I started getting rigid with my supplementation again and I'm back to working out 5 days a week and I'm feeling great.

Dan

• Members

Hockey rules. I haven't been able to play since breaking my hand in Feb & will miss the upcoming league because it's still not 100%. Sucks. Won't be able to play again until August.

That DOES suck. :( Good luck getting your hand better, man!

• Members

That DOES suck.
:(
Good luck getting your hand better, man!

Thanks. It's almost there. I mean I can sorta play bass again and I'm starting to work out again so that's cool. I just know that if I fall on it or brace myself slamming into the boards, It's hosed.

Totally sucked too. I was leading the league in points through 3 games (13 pts) & had one 6 point game... 5 goals, 1 assist. It was ridiculous & I have no idea how or why it was happening.

Archived