Chrysler files for bankruptcy.

Bernie P.

• Members

I'll be interested how Chrysler does in their proposed partnership with Fiat. The company has a history of choosing odd bedfellows:

1970s: Hillman Avenger/Plymouth Cricket, Mitsubishi Galant/Dodge Challenger & Plymoth Sapporo, Simca/Dodge Omni/Plymouth Horizon

1980s:Renault 9 & 10/AMC-Renault Alliance

• Members

I hate to say it, but it's about time. Had Chrysler and GM been allowed to go into bankruptcy in the first place and denied bailout money from the gov't, it's possible that each could be already emerging as a new, leaner, re-energized company.

I absolutely hate what's going on with General Motors now. The federal government and their panel or council or whatever doesn't know the first thing about running a car company. I've also been hearing the idea of GM offering to swap some of the government loans for common equity (as much as 50%), as well as give the UAW 39%.

A car company run by the Federal Government and the United Auto Workers Union - there's a recipe for success. :rolleyes:

• Members

I hate to say it, but it's about time. Had Chrysler and GM been allowed to go into bankruptcy in the first place and denied bailout money from the gov't, it's possible that each could be already emerging as a new, leaner, re-energized company.

+1

Originally I thought bankruptcy was the end but it's really a way out of the union contracts and other bloated costs so they can come back. I really think it's in our best interest for them to continue business.

• Members

I absolutely hate what's going on with General Motors now. The federal government and their panel or council or whatever doesn't know the first thing about running a car company. I've also been hearing the idea of GM offering to swap some of the government loans for common equity (as much as 50%), as well as give the UAW 39%.

A car company run by the Federal Government and the United Auto Workers Union - there's a recipe for success.
:rolleyes:

Just heard this morning that the retirement group (not actually the UAW but made up of them) now owns 55% of Chrysler's stock. Looks like the unions got taken care of and then the bankrupcy went forward. Imagine that.

The government's plan for GM is to have them build a bunch of hybrid models and kill off the larger stuff. The only problem with the crackerjack plan is that all their profits came from the bigger models (gotta sell what the customer wants) an even Toyota hasn't made a profit on the Prius, the most successful hybrid on the planet. To sum up....kill off alll the profitable lines and ramp up lines that have no chance of making a profit anytime soon. The US government is chock full of genius-types! :thu:

• Members

Just heard this morning that the retirement group (not actually the UAW but made up of them) now owns 55% of Chrysler's stock. Looks like the unions got taken care of and
then
the bankrupcy went forward. Imagine that.

The government's plan for GM is to have them build a bunch of hybrid models and kill off the larger stuff. The only problem with the crackerjack plan is that all their profits came from the bigger models (gotta sell what the customer wants) an even Toyota hasn't made a profit on the Prius, the most successful hybrid on the planet. To sum up....kill off alll the profitable lines and ramp up lines that have no chance of making a profit anytime soon. The US government is chock full of genius-types!
:thu:

Profit???!!!! We don't need no stinking profit in this the great Nation of Obama!! :facepalm:

Archived